Jake

Idle Thumbs 198: Missing Molyneux

It's astonishing to me that a person in his position does this sort of thing.

He could run for president of Ecuador.

Talking about manuals:

Daggerfall manual was very detailed, but at the same time it was very innacurate, maybe because it was written before the whole game was finished. The result was that half of the time mention stuff which does not exist in game (like Adult Dragons or healing bandages) or forget to mention stuff that exist ingame - like Witches Covens or simple mention them very superficial way, so you won´t believe its real: like Vampirism and Lycanthropy.

In fact I have a small fun story about this: After a while seeking the adult dragon you soon figure is not real and you stop believe the manual. So one day I was playing after a mission inside huge dungeon full of Werewolves, I didn´t noticed but my character had contracted lycanthropy, keep in mind, that some diseases ingame take several days to show effect. A few days later I choose to rest and the screen fade to black, I start to hear a really bad quality midi speech that I simple could not figure what hell it mean and soon the game screen now show the picture of naked men crying tears of blood, the screen fade to black to fade again to the game and now my character had became a werewolf. I simple jump from the chair and without even thinking I hit the load button toward a save before that. Slight later I checked the internet and figure that was a feature they forget to tell.

Note: the Vampirism was similar, but slight more creepy, you have a dream, but its a woman (I don´t remember if naked or not) also crying tears of blood (? I could be wrong) all narrated by a really bad midi speech, the difference is that your character will wake up after several days inside a graveyard, kicked out of all guilds (since you died) and one more note: graveyeard exist ingame as a place you could visit, but serve to absolute nothing, so wake up inside one of the was really wierd.

Oh man this shit blew my mind as a kid. I contracted lycanthropy somehow and got the same weird dream.

Just to make the context clear, this was at a time when fmv was still pretty rare in games, and the vampire and werewolf dreams are the only cutscenes in what is otherwise an entirely first-person RPG. I seriously thought for a moment that one of my brother's weird art games had been left in the CD Drive and was interrupting my game with an autoplay. What I'm saying, I guess, was that this was the random NPC saying "Fuck you" of 1996.

(PS, a slight pedantic note: MIDI is exclusively a format for storing music information, basically just a set of notes and velocities -- MIDI data is basically the text file of music. The speech in the files was, I think, just low-bitrate waveform data)

I think asking all the hosts to do a full five hours during GDC week is going to be rough. You've got five hosts, you can cycle them.

Oh man this shit blew my mind as a kid. I contracted lycanthropy somehow and got the same weird dream.

Just to make the context clear, this was at a time when fmv was still pretty rare in games, and the vampire and werewolf dreams are the only cutscenes in what is otherwise an entirely first-person RPG. I seriously thought for a moment that one of my brother's weird art games had been left in the CD Drive and was interrupting my game with an autoplay. What I'm saying, I guess, was that this was the random NPC saying "Fuck you" of 1996.

(PS, a slight pedantic note: MIDI is exclusively a format for storing music information, basically just a set of notes and velocities -- MIDI data is basically the text file of music. The speech in the files was, I think, just low-bitrate waveform data)

Ops my mystake, anyway, I just wish to mean more in quality level that actual file type, but good call.

But in terms of "fuck you" of 1996 in Daggerfall, there was that kid npc on Wayrest castle, that if you try to talk to him there was no dialog, but just the sound of a moan like the one did by ghost and specters if am not wrong.

Haha holy crap. That game was so weird.

If nothing else, it gave me a comprehensive familiarity with whatever stock sound effect library they were using. I still hear that damn door-opening sound used in tv shows and movies to this day, and that rat squeak is like the wilhelm scream of rodent noises.

I've had a terrible cough while on vacation for the last four days and now I realize it must have been because I listened to this podcast. Thanks, Jake. T_T

The Sonic twitter account is now out of control.

Man, there is nothing worse than corporate twitters trying to use hashtags.

The one good bit of self-awareness from the Sonic Boom shitshow has been one of he writers for the TV show declaring that the Knuckles Jump Glitch was canon while linking to this video: