Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 19: Masked Ball

As LostInTheMovies has nicely addressed the mythology elements, I will simply note that the opening footage of James on his hog was film David Lynch had shot on location while the pilot was being made...  

Looking forward to future podcasts!

Brace yourselves.  Though this episode (I believe) infamously introduces Little Nicky, Evelyn Marsh AND Lana Milford, I've long considered Episodes 21 and 22 to be the low point of the series.  [You will call them: Episode 22: "Double Play" and Episode 23: "Slaves and Masters". ]   Here we witness the poorest storylines [*claps hands*] collide with the poorest execution, imo.

I completely forgot to write in about this, but this episode features a Mod Squad Reunion!

post-8337-0-60181900-1425946262_thumb.jpg

To be honest, I've never seen the Mod Squad, so going in cold I had no idea that Peggy Lipton and Clarence Williams III used to be co-stars.

But it was a notable guest spot at the time.  After this episode aired, Entertainment Weekly interviewed Michael Cole, the third Mod Squad member and asked him about Twin Peaks:

The idea of a reunion hadn’t struck Cole, 50, who’s seen ”a couple of episodes to see Peg, but I got a little lost.”

The Mod Squad was on television for five seasons.  It feels weird that I know so little about it and let this Twin Peaks reunion slip past me.

Oh man, Nance's extended staredown of Log Lady's plate at the wedding killed me. The reel back is amazing as well.

wpFjGXe.gif

To me this feels like a fairly holding pattern type episode except for the revelation at the end. 

Anyway I liked a fair few bits of it too!

i think hawk gets into this weird earnest mode where he says things in a way that’s supposed to sound like it has meaning but just comes off as bad to me. Almost as if the actor is like: “not this crap again”. Although he seems to have also lost his undercutting edge (she’s in the ground...) as well which is a shame. 

Pretty rude not to show or tell what  cooper saw. It feels like a mystery for the purpose of having a mystery that can be solved “gum you like” style. 

I liked how Mrs Briggs said classified in a way that meant “yes” or whatever confirmation coop needed. 

It feels like cooper has gone mad in the board scene talking about love and fear. If only the garland stuff was still in. 

I think all the crew do a great job with Denise’s stuff. Could have been really easy to go too far into nonsense. I like cooper just rolls with it and is completely respectful. 

Series 3

Spoiler

Now we know what Cole is like it feels like Cole was doing that thing that means he wants to avoid answering when he wants - presumably he is unsure how to broach the Dennis/Denise surprise. It’s kind of weird because lynch hyper pats himself on his coolness when Cole meets Denise later. 

James thinks he’s Schwarzenegger. It’s really odd and the bar scene is so weird. “The box” indeed. The woman is like “fix my car- I’ll give you food and a roof” which is basically a crap wage for the skilled job she’s asking for. Of course dumbass James says yes. 

Series 3

Spoiler

James speech has me thinking of Wally Brando from series 3! For a moment I also thought that Andy and lucy named their kid after the dead bird because of Wally/Waldo confusion.

I like hornes continuation of Shakespeare quotes. That’s good. The scene where he’s nostalgic is really nice

Series 3

Spoiler

And has me thinking that this is where he turns his corner maybe? To a more mellow guy?

Still even when hank is threatening Horne he still can’t stop acting as the cocky cigar chomper. 

I wonder if josie thinks her situation is actually better with Catherine? Seems pretty similar to the one with eckhardt (although presumably less sex). 

Andrew isn’t dead feels like classic soap. The whole mill shenanigans makes less sense by the second. 

Coopers sailor jacket!!

i quite like Windom earls hobgoblin line (for teenager Illuminatus trilogy reasons - which is probably mark frosts wheelhouse too).