N1njaSquirrel

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

I didn't want to say anything but I totally carved one while we were hunting together  ;(

Yeah I am a little intimidated by CB, but it just seems like it can be so awesome... I saw a reddit thread where a guy is testing how many things one can GP, his last one was the Teostra supernova.  It's really impressive.  The only other MH I've played is Tri on the Wii, and I played SnS the whole game because I didn't really understand the idea of figuring out other weapons... I eventually tried out Longsword after I had completed all the offline material, and liked it but didn't really "get" it.  Now that I've tried all the weapons in MH4U, I'm not really a fan of LS... but I can't really find any other cutting weapons that I really love.  I've thought about trying GS since I'm already playing a slow weapon in HH, but I also like the idea of a crazy sword/shield/blade combo!  So we'll see.  I have my old Tetsu armor from LR that I was using before... or I might just start a whole new character and try some things while being forced to use basic equipment.  

Whoa long post!  Anywho I'll probably be on some this afternoon (although I realized yesterday you're on New Zealand time and me mentioning a time of day out here on the east coast is irrelevant), so if you're thinking of getting on in the next 12 hours, let me know!  I'm going to play with weapon sets for a while!

Man, I'm hitting a brick wall. HR7 is tough, and all my urgent solo quests are 8 stars and up, I basically triple cart them ten minutes in. Is it a good idea to have a bunch of different sets at late high rank so I can juggle different skills and resistances between monsters? Or should I just milk each set for what it's worth and move on until I can replace them all in G? I nearly have all the stuff for the Storge S set (S.Magala parts), but the skills seem kind of bogus and I don't have the greatest talismans just yet.

I'll be doing some random hunts in the next hour or so, maybe try to knock out some HR7 keys, if anyone wants to join. I'll edit with room ID when I start.

Edit: I lied! Gotta do stuff.

Holy cow I finally got out of HR7! Unlocking my rank boosted me all the way to HR51. Just need to do the Ukanlos urgent and I'll finally be G rank.  :woohoo:

Holy cow I finally got out of HR7! Unlocking my rank boosted me all the way to HR51. Just need to do the Ukanlos urgent and I'll finally be G rank.  :woohoo:

I'm so jealous. I could not kill that stupid HR7 final quest. Had no clue what I was doing and no one would join my PuGs for it.

Haven't played in a while...

Dalamadur? Yeah, I was lost the first few times I tried him, too. I had to do the fight a bunch of times before I understood what was happening, so here's what I figured out if you ever decide to attempt it again.

Basically, there are 3 main phases to the fight. The first is when he's coiled around the large pillar in the centre with his head next to it, which is the phase you always start with. In this phase your goal is to climb up and beat him in the head to knock him out. To do this, you want to run towards him and jump onto his body where the red arrow is pointing. Run around to the right a little and you can jump off his left side and catch some vines on the side of the pillar to climb up. You want to climb most of the way up and then shimmy around to the very left on the vines, then jump off with A. If you do it in the right spot (it's not hard once you figure it out) you'll land right on his head and can hammer away at it until he gets KO'd. When he's KO'd his head will drop down to the ground (if you're on his head at the time it'll conveniently drop you right next to it) and you'll be free to hammer away at it for ~10-15 seconds, enough time for a big burst attack. This is your main opportunity for damage, so if you aren't able to climb up and KO him yourself try to know where he's gonna drop and be there to get some hits in.

The second phase is when he exposes his chest (the giant glowing rocky part), and he'll be in one of two positions. The most common one (in my experience), his chest will be next to the big rock you jump off of to get to his body in phase 1. The other position is over the opposite side, sort of behind the pillar. In this phase you want to beat on his chest as much as possible to KO him again and get more hits in. I noticed his chest deflects hits very easily so unless you have a weapon with great sharpness you'll want to use attacks that don't bounce (hammer charged slam for example). Once he's KO'd his head will drop in the same place as before and you can go get some more hits in. This is the easiest phase since all you need to worry about is the occasional bite attack, and he telegraphs them well in advance so you have plenty of time to move.

The final phase is when he vanishes. This is the trickiest part, but also the easiest to cheese. So, he'll vanish and reappear shortly after in one of a number of different locations around the map, and unleash an attack which will severely damage or 1-hit KO you, depending on your armor. If you want to do this "the right way," the first thing you're going to want is a decent set of armor, so if things go wrong you won't be 1-hit, at the very least. Then you can at least learn his patterns here without risking a triple cart and everyone leaving your room. HOWEVER, there is a far cheesier way to avoid this phase if you're not confident and just want to finish the fight, although it requires some materials. Basically, you want to bring along a Farcaster and enough materials to combine a few more. Every time he vanishes (you'll know because his lock-on portrait will display ???), use a Farcaster to send yourself back to camp. Then you just have to wait a half minute or so for him to finish the phase, maybe stock up on some supplies or sharpen your weapon, and you can just mosey right back into the fight.  :tup:

Finally, there's the space in between phases where he just slithers around to reposition himself. There's nothing much to do in these parts except get a couple hits on his body if you can (but I don't think it does much damage), so mainly I'd just worry about dodging his energy attacks, which are easy to notice and far easier to dodge than, say, Shagaru Magala's bullshit random energy pulses. The only thing I wasn't able to figure out was what's up with his tail? I figure it's a weak point since you can lock onto it, but none of the groups I ever did this with bothered with it and it didn't seem to matter.

Final note: this part is important if you want to avoid a major headache. Once you beat Dalamadur, there is actually one more urgent quest immediately after to unlock G rank (I know, sigh), to slay Ukanlos. This guy is much more straight forward, he's basically just an ice version of Akantor with a few differences (key similarity: avoid his fucking roars). If at all possible, try to stick around in the same lobby you beat Dalamadur in and knock out this quest as well. This might mean you're questing for a while since you might need to do each urgent 4 times over (unless you're a bastard and skip out on theirs), but it will save you a headache in the long run. When I did it, I beat Dalamadur for myself and everyone else in the group and stuck around for someone else's Ukanlos, but then had to leave. When I went back to try and find or create my own Ukanlos lobby later, I discovered that not only was he not on my monster list (even though I beat him on another player's urgent?), I couldn't even advertise the room as 7* questing since he's technically an 8* quest, which there's no option for. So, as far as I can tell it's basically impossible to advertise your room for Ukanlos. :frusty:  In other words, better to find a good group and get it all done in one swoop.

In any case, I'll add your friend code (unless I already did?) and maybe I can help you out with them some time if you're on. Once you get into G rank the game really opens up. I'm having loads of fun fighting the new monsters (well, mostly the old monsters but tougher) and crafting new, powerful armors and weapons to cheese those tricky caravan quests with.  B)

Whoa, I disappeared into life for a minute so I haven't been on here, sounds like you're having lots of fun BadHat!  I had a similar experience where after I had been walled by Dala a few times I finally got help to push me through.  That was the first time I had played with others as well so it was a real rush!  

I started a new file last week, I wanted to roll a female character to see some different armor and have been using it to learn Charge Blade.  I'm not great at it yet but I've already managed to hit a couple Guard Points and I feel like it's something I might really like with some solid practice.  

I also picked up MH3U in the sale that Capcom was having, and man it is SO different from Tri!  I decided to try Great Sword since I've never played that either, so I've been switching back and forth between those two games when I have free time, I was out of town for a wedding most of last week so I had a lot of down time.

My only character is female so I have no idea which sets are gender specific really (there's so little cheesecake boobplate, how am I supposed to tell?!). However, I did just make my first Hunting Horn after being encouraged by your performance that one time - The Magia Charm!

3wsDnO9.jpg

90% sure this one is female-only since it references magical girls in the description, but I could be wrong. Anyway I think the songs kind of suck (no attack up seems like a no-no, although it does have elemental attack up), but I don't care because I'm bashing monster's skulls in with a giant magical girl scepter.  B)

Anyway, I finally beat the Rajang urgent using this so it can't be all bad.

Edit: What on earth? How was the Seregios urgent ten times easier than Rajang when it's 3-4 stars higher. :|

Wow badhat, thanks for the info. I ended up watching gaijinhunter's guide on it, but haven't fought the boss again in a while. I think the gimmick fights are the worst thing about MH4U. I understand why they're in there, and I can see why people might like them, I just don't. You spend your whole time learning to fight monsters, then it throws you in a situation that's entirely different with no explanation of what to do, with completely different mechanics to what I find fun. 

Haha Seregios was super easy for me too!  With big-damage weapons you can just crush his kneecaps and power through pretty quick.  Once you've gotten a couple free trips you've done a ton of damage.  I actually managed to help out with an Apex Seregios once before I had gotten my Wystone-Drive when I was hunting with a group.  

Divine protection on that Magia Charm is pretty good though!  That can really help in a group, as well as the HP Recovery.

I might make a couple sets with my G-Rank character using the weapon types I know now... Great Sword is really fun, and was so much easier to learn than I thought it would be.  I might try to make a crazy Crit Draw set for it.  We'll see!  I also have idly been leveling up Guild Quests that are easy to solo so that even if I won't get as many beshackled drops I can still get some on my own.

I just learned great sword, too. It's super easy to learn but almost too simple for my taste. Although, it does feel really damn good getting a full charge combo off on a tripped monster.

I've gone back to full-time charge blade and loving it. Upgraded my Nerscylla CB to rare 8, with +15 status atk on my armor the poison demolishes monsters.  :tup:

Wow badhat, thanks for the info. I ended up watching gaijinhunter's guide on it, but haven't fought the boss again in a while. I think the gimmick fights are the worst thing about MH4U. I understand why they're in there, and I can see why people might like them, I just don't. You spend your whole time learning to fight monsters, then it throws you in a situation that's entirely different with no explanation of what to do, with completely different mechanics to what I find fun. 

Yeah, they're kind of the worst. Dah'ren Mohran was a huge pain in my ass until I learned him, too, now he's so simple the fight is a boring grind. Dalamadur is the same now. :/

Just beat the final caravan quest. That Kushala fight was bad. ass. Are there any more like that in G rank? That's the kind of gimmick fight I'd like to see more of.

I'm pretty sure that there is no female only weapon/item in MH. The Magia Charm is available for guys too, I'm almost certain. I also play as a women though, so I'll have to load up a friend's game to find out for sure.

On a side note, the female costumes are so much better than the male ones.

Also, to the person who was asking for good armour, the Patisserie set has taken me all the way through to G3, and only now considering changing it. It's really, really, really good. Especially for SnS guys.

Unfortunately work and life got in the way yesterday. My boss was travelling which means constant emails.

Hopefully tonight. I'll set up a room and put the number up here.

No worries! I'm free tonight too. Check PSN (I have you on PSN, I'm pretty sure) to see if I'm online. I'll probably be playing MGSV tonight. :D

I think I have scheduled TV watching with my partner tonight, but I'll see. I think I have 2 ninjasquirrels on PSN. Not sure which one is you.

I'm the one who has an avatar of a seal. It's just a white circle with a face on really. 

No worries if you can't do it tonight, I'm free whenever.

Ooooh. I might join too if ye are organising! Will i ruin everything being an ultimate noob?

I don't think so. The Dalamadur is a pretty easy fight when you know what to do, it's very similar to the Dah'ren Moran in that it's the same patterns and stuff. Should be easy to take down. What HR rank are you?

I bought a circle pad pro (ten bucks on amazon, what-ho!) and now the game is infinitely more playable than it was before, which is to say, playable at all.

It's still got issues with diagonal camera movement because... why? I don't know. But, much much better. So I might actually play this game now!

Sorry for being unreliable. I definitely can do it tonight. Cool huh? Planning video games for a Friday night!

Come along dibs the more the merrier. I should really hunt something beforehand, it's been a couple of months since I've played.

Twig do you have an XL or regular 3ds? I found the circle pad pro to make my XL horribly bulky. I didn't like it one bit.