N1njaSquirrel

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

I just got to high rank in caravan and hall quests. I feel like this took me way too long. I like to smell the roses I guess.

don't worry about it! It took me 200 hours to get to G-rank!

I need help again!

I have hit a road block where I can progress, but each fight takes like 30 mins. I desperately need a new weapon, but nothing feels powerful enough. I'm currently using needle ivy, which is pretty good, I like the move set and the stun, but it's damage output is so pathetic. I have no access to any of the upgrade materials though!

Have you upgraded your insect glaive? You need to follow this guide to get the absolute best insect glaive (insect glaives cost so much money to fully upgrade. I've only done 2, but the amount of rescources is fucking nuts)

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do. I would maybe advise grinding some monsters to get some IG weapon unlocks. welcome to high rank :D

Saying that, have you got power/armour charms? You buy them from the shops for a large sum. You can combine them with deviljho talons to get power/armour talons to increase your damage/defence. All you need is to have them in your pouch when you go out on expeditions to work. And then add another power and armour charm, which adds even more damage.

I have one decent IG, but I completely screwed up the kinsect. Didn't know what I was doing, and now I don't have access to the stuff to upgrade it further. I just need to work on my HR. I think I need to be 7 to unlock the quest that gives me access to the upgrade material.

I've got the charms, but I don't think I've even come across a deviljho yet...

I could use the serigios IG, dunno if it's worth it though. I hate those fights, and it's not a massive upgrade.

There's a pretty big gap between the late high-rank weapons and early g-rank weapons, so you're going to have to settle for small optimizations for a while, probably.

One thing you can probably do is figure out how to get some good skill buffs off of your armor, if you haven't already. Mix some pieces, slot some gems, get a better talisman, etc.

don't worry about it! It took me 200 hours to get to G-rank!

Yup, it's a huge game, took a long time to get to g-rank.

The group i was playing with sort of lost cohesion during early g-rank though, so i think i'm probably done.

I ain't played in weeks grid, but if i can be of help just hollar:)

Ok, so I have some thoughts and questions because I ended up getting obsessed again over the weekend.

I'm perpetually broke. I want all the armor and all the weapons but I can't! After trying a bunch of weapons I've found out few things about my play style.

- I like to hit-and-run. 

- I don't like slow things

- I don't like getting close.

This basically means glaive or bow. Which also means 2 weapons and 2 armor sets. So I'm going to be broke no matter what. While I've barely used the bow, I hate the fact that every time I go online, everyone is using the glaive. Which is why I decided to look at other weapons. Also, no one uses ranged stuff, so I feel I'd be filling a niche which is pretty cool.

Online is fun, until some chump dies twice and ditches, causing everyone else to ditch too. Leaving me and a monster balanced for 4 hunters.

How do I access the DLC? I've downloaded it, but nothing seems to happen when I do.

Edit: Also, how about a Monday night weekly hunt?

The DLC is accessed in different ways depending on what type it is. Most DLC quests are found under the event quest category from the guildmarm or the questarixes, unless they are challenge quests in which case they are found by speaking to the arena clerk or the clerk in the assembly hall. The three part quests are found by talking to the housekeeper and selecting one. The associated quest giver will then appear in the gathering hall.

All of the DLC equipment is tied to an event quest, and won't be available to view at the forge until you do the associated quest and get the unique item drop from that quest. This applies to both hunter and palicoe DLC equipment.

The bonus palicoes can be hired by going to the palicoe board and going to the "Hire bonus palicoes" option.

All of the other DLC is guild card backgrounds and titles, or the bonus caravan points which are automatically applied.

Hopefully this answered your question about DLC? It was pretty general so I figured I'd cover everything, so my apologies if I covered something you already knew.

Also, relating to being broke I must say it feels like MH4U has much higher equipment costs than MHTri or MH3U did. I've found it necessary to sell extra monster parts, moreso than in the previous iteration. One of my friends I play with found that a good way to make money if you have a bunch of caravan points from doing expeditions is to farm Might Seeds using the Wycoon. A stack of 99 Might Seeds sells for almost 14K zenny.

Expeditions are also a good way to make money on their own, because if you find a bunch of relics with okay but not great stats you can get upwards of 20K zenny on a good run.

Advice time again, really appreciate the help so far.

So HR7 is tough. I'm getting killed constantly simply because 2 mistakes means I'm dead. I managed to kill one monster (some sort of wind dragon) with a group, and almost killed the silver rathian with a group (but the glaive guy carted 3 times). The rest have been a wash.

Is there any armor value I should be shooting for to make it more manageable? Half the issue is that I don't know the monsters, and they're not in single player, so I can't play them 100 times to learn their moves. Are these technically G rank? I feel so under geared!

One possibility to consider is that you're getting wrecked by elemental damage. The late game monsters start tossing around tons of elemental attacks, so elemental resistances are a huge factor in g-rank. Having armor that could protect me against the specific elements g-rank monsters were throwing at me made a lot of those early g-rank fights a total cakewalk. (Failing that, certain elemental food bonuses can completely negate a specific weakness, or offer around a 7 point buff.)

Like armor skills, elemental resistances actually have thresholds. You can even gain immunity versus a given elemental blight at around... I think 20?

Elemental resistances are huge though, at -10 you might be getting ohk'd at full health in excellent armor, while at 20 you could end up with barely a scratch.

- I like to hit-and-run. 

- I don't like slow things

- I don't like getting close.

Did you ever try the long swords? You get lots of mobility, lots of range, and relatively rapid attacks.

Edit: Also, how about a Monday night weekly hunt?

I might be interested in being involved with a regular group game here. My character's sitting at around early g-rank right now, the other group i was playing with kind of fell apart and i was probably just going to call it done.

I ended up making a full Rath Soul set, gemmed out with evasion. It looks badass, and I steam rolled through a bunch of caravan 9 quests using it (although I wasn't really getting hit). The -health isn't a big deal if I bring some nutrients to each hunt. 

I tried out the long sword, but I don't like the charge up mechanic. Instead of the red buff feeling powerful, it makes everything else feel weak. IG and Bow are my favourite. I might try out SnS at some point. Making 2 sets is difficult though. Takes a long time!

Thanks for the advice on elemental damage, I didn't consider that. Fire resist is pretty easy to come by. 

A thumbs hunting group would be awesome. 

Hey!  I don't know if anyone is still playing MH4U over here, but I just hit G-Bronze crown and I'm always looking for nice people to hunt with.  

I'll totally hunt with you when I hit G but I'm still stuck in high. The solo pink rathian hunt keeps kicking my ass and rank 6 guild quests are all crazy variant monsters that wipe the floor with me. I don't think my double gore set is going to carry me much further. :(

Me too. Although I've taken a break from MH for a while to work on my back log. It was distracting me from all the shiny games I bought.

I'll totally hunt with you when I hit G but I'm still stuck in high. The solo pink rathian hunt keeps kicking my ass and rank 6 guild quests are all crazy variant monsters that wipe the floor with me. I don't think my double gore set is going to carry me much further. :(

What weapon do you use?  I had a hard time with Pink Rath too, and I was so nervous to go online that I soloed my way to G with my trusty Hunting Horn... Let's just say it took a while.

Using the switch-axe made from Dah'ren Mohran parts. Currently farming Zinogres and Stygian Zinogres to make a sweet as hell long sword. Really want to build a bow set for high rank because I always had a much easier time of flying monsters with my bow. The only one I can build that seems worthwhile at all is the Tigrex bowmaster set, though, so I guess I gotta get to farming him.

Using the switch-axe made from Dah'ren Mohran parts. Currently farming Zinogres and Stygian Zinogres to make a sweet as hell long sword. Really want to build a bow set for high rank because I always had a much easier time of flying monsters with my bow. The only one I can build that seems worthwhile at all is the Tigrex bowmaster set, though, so I guess I gotta get to farming him.

Well hey if you want to run High Rank stuff let me know.  I'd love an excuse to learn a new weapon, maybe Charge Blade or Insect Glaive.  I haven't done that many weapon/armor upgrades so I have some coin lying around, might as well spend it on some kinda crazy evolving bug or something!

Added you. I'll be hunting some Stygian Zinogres for the next little bit if you want to join.

Sorry I couldn't stay too long!  I got home later than expected from work.  I also didn't have time to make a new weapon yet so I was just using an old Hunting Horn from HR stuff.  Next time I'll have made a decision for a new weapon haha!

You're handy as hell with that horn! Never seen someone handle heals and buffs that well. Now just one piece away from my zin u set. :D

Thanks!  I picked up Horn pretty early on in this game, so I feel like I really have a good handle on how to play really well.  I had been playing solo for so long that when I finally went online I had an "Aha!" moment where I realized that although love playing Horn by myself, the real strength of it is with others!  It's also so much easier to play High Rank S. Zinogre after playing G rank guys.  There are so many more opportunities to heal!  

I want to find a blade weapon I like to get good at, so hopefully next time we meet up I'll have something different?  But I can always switch back to rocking out.

I've been giving charge blade another shot. I started out using it heavily but never used guard points which seems kind of crucial. Also I didn't realise you could chain the ultra attack straight from the shield attack, handy for cancelling into glowy axe mode or whatever without having to switch first.

In other news S. Zinogre Umbrage doesn't exists :( :(