N1njaSquirrel

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Probably a solid third of what you do in MH4U will be on the triggers, so finicky triggers is definitely an issue. However, I have used a circle pad pro with the game and can tell you that it gives you several options for remapping the add-on's triggers, but by default it just doubles up on the 3DS's own trigger functions. (Which would neatly solve your problem.) I mean, and you also get a second stick for analog camera control, so that's great. If you're playing on an original 3DS, it's probably the best way to play the game.

ALTHOUGH.

It's probably not an issue, but MH4U is a game that makes my 3DS run noticeably hot after a while, and it became alarmingly so when nested in the circle pad pro cradle. Searching around on the internet, I found a few stories of random other games crashing the 3DS because it seemingly couldn't dissipate heat in the circle pad pro cradle, but none specifically pertaining to MH4U. It's probably not an issue, but you may want to be wary of extended play sessions when using that thing. Maybe just don't exacerbate the issue by using it out under the sun on a hot day or something. Fair warning, is all.

Also:

Does anyone here have any experience using the Circle Pad in general, and specifically to play Monster Hunter? I 

Yeah, and I massively regret buying it. It's not a cheap piece of plastic that does basically nothing other than make the 3DS even more uncomfortable to hold. 

It will fix the trigger issue though.

I feel like my trigger doesn't respond when i'm mounting sometimes, but then i think that maybe i'm in a slashing animation so i can't hold on or something. Also, i never have any issues with it while blocking or anything, so maybe it is all in my head.

Also, we should organise a hunt some evening n1nja and grid. How does tomorrow suit?

I feel like my trigger doesn't respond when i'm mounting sometimes, but then i think that maybe i'm in a slashing animation so i can't hold on or something. 

Yeah, I feel that this is a common misconception which people attribute to a broken R button. You only hold on after a full slashing animation, so if you're unlucky, you can start the animation as soon as it starts flailing, and it feels like you're not holding on.

I'm good for some MH4U tomorrow!

Awesome. I'll add ye tonight. N1nja, what is your username? You in yasawas?

Awesome. I'll be on at around 8.30 tomorrow then. I'll make a room and post details here.

I'm beginning to think having a multiplayer networking thingadoodle is more hurtful than helpful on these boards. I often don't see community until it's too late.

I agree. I almost never go on that board.

Having a link to a googledoc or even the networking thread in the OP would be my choice of fixes.

Ooh, I'll try and get on for this if we're doing a thing and it's kinda low-level. After a 50+ hour binge at launch I haven't played in months so I'm sure it'll go just great!

We don't want no noobs on hour HR1 runs soz.

fucking noobs

Yasawas, your link in your sig doesn't have your NNID in it. I think that might not matter once you have the room name anyhow, which i shall post this evening. Moo.

Also, i'm hoping some one of you is slightly higher level, i don't really have any Guild quests done, only the 1stars unlocked^^

I've done one of the guild quests. Thought, man this is easy, then went back to single player.

We can blast through the key quests real quick. The only choke-hold will be the urgent quests for levelling hunter ranks, as the only person who levels up is the person who took the quest, meaning that we'll have to do it at most 3 times. Which is fine for most of the fights, as it still remains interesting, but by jove am I fed up with the Dah'ren Mohran by now.

Out of all the monsters, the Dah'ren Mohran is the only one where it feels like a real chore fighting him, as it's all so predictable.

Also, i'm hoping some one of you is slightly higher level, i don't really have any Guild quests done, only the 1stars unlocked^^

Hunter Rank 63 baby! 

The only choke-hold will be the urgent quests for levelling hunter ranks, as the only person who levels up is the person who took the quest, meaning that we'll have to do it at most 3 times.

That's real dumb. If I get home early (which it looks like I might) then I will try to blast through some of them beforehand. 

What's the MonHun etiquette? Is mounting frowned upon? Because I mount a lot in single player. I basically get my buffs, mount, topple, then hack away. Rinse and repeat.

If someone mounts you stop attacking as you can cancel the mount and everyones time is wasted. The game sends an automated message about it (which is a neat little feature) when someone mounts.

I stopped the guild quests because I had to capture monsters and i just want to kill them.

I stopped the guild quests because I had to capture monsters and i just want to kill them.

I always try to capture. I feel sad killing some of those magnificent beasts. I'd rather put it to sleep and believe it's in captivity somewhere missing it's horn, claws and hide. 

Mounting is definitely encouraged. In general, when you topple an enemy, if you have a heavy-hitting weapon (horns, great swords, hammers, switch axe), you go to the head, whilst lighter weapons (Kinsect Glaive, dual blades, lances) go to the tail, to ensure that people don't get stun-locked by other players hitting them, and to utilise the most of their weapons. Blunt weapons don't deal as much break damage as other weapons, so it's best if they focus on the head, where they're more likely to inflict stun/KO damage, whilst the sharper weapons cut off tails.

I used to only do capture too, until I found out that you get less drops from capture. You can carve 4+ times when you kill it (more if you get feyline Carver), but you only get 3 items for a capture. Now I only capture if it's a quest or if I'm wanting a particular drop.

Sorry, 3 for kill, 2 for capture. I'm pretty sure you can increase your carve number using Feyline Carver, which you get as a food buff.

My eggs are taking forever to bake. Dang eggs