Jake

Idle Thumbs 196: Ode on a Grecian Hat Sale

Man I guess I'm well in the minority because I hated that Mickey Mouse 3d cartoon. I thought the whole thing was mean-spirited and not very clever and the 3d characters looked incredibly generic and ugly compared to their black and white 2d counterparts. Plus the entire thing felt like a goodbye to 2d animation in general, which doesn't sit well at all when the 2d animation in it is so much more interesting and full of life. Ugh.

I dunno, a lot of the stuff I like about 2d animation versus the current style of 3d animation is its willingness to be incredibly dynamic and wild with shapes and silhouettes, which working with 3d stuff seems to be less catered toward. The short that tegan posted shows 2d style animation sense using 3d art, and I think it looks pretty great and keeps with the spirit.

Am I missing a joke or should the title be 'Ode to'? Or am I simply too prescriptive with my prepositions there?

e: Aha, it's the latter, and I just got the joke. Oops.

Yeah, I think the 3d animation team did an amazing job of translating the old-school Mickey animation/stretching/shape-changing in the 3d characters.

What a wonderful short! :tup:

Am I missing a joke or should the title be 'Ode to'? Or am I simply too prescriptive with my prepositions there?

e: Aha, it's the latter, and I just got the joke. Oops.

It's one of the better Thumbs episode titles.

Yeah, I think the 3d animation team did an amazing job of translating the old-school Mickey animation/stretching/shape-changing in the 3d characters.

What a wonderful short! :tup:

The industry is getting a lot better at making CG animation that preserves the look of traditional animation.

Yeah, I love the animation style in those two teasers! Super duper good! There was an Inspector Gadget animation test last year that was really good too.