Sign in to follow this  
taterdactyl

GenCon 2015

Any thumbs attending the best four days in (mostly tabletop) gaming?? It's still about 6 months out, but I'm getting super excited. For those who aren't familiar with GenCon...

Gen Con is the largest tabletop-game convention in North America by either attendance or number of events. It features traditional pen-and-paper, board, and card games, including role-playing games, miniatures wargames, live action role-playing games, collectible card games, and strategy games. Gen Con also features computer games. Attendees engage in a variety of tournament and interactive game sessions. In 2014, Gen Con had over 56,600 unique attendees, making it one of the largest conventions in North America. (Copied from Wiki because I'm on my phone and too lazy to type all that right now.

I'm very seriously considering going this year. Its not too far a drive, and it could be a rad weekend. Definitely gonna gauge interest among my friend group since the SO will likely not be interested.

Yea it's great for us because we're only 2hrs away, so we drive up Thursday morning and go straight to the convention center, spend all day playing games and whatnot, then check in to our hotel late that night. Then we spend all day Friday at the convention center, check out of our hotel Saturday morning, spend all day Saturday playing more games, and then we drive home that night. We don't do Sunday because everything's wrapping up and for us it's not worth paying for an extra night at a hotel.

If you do end up going, I highly suggest getting event tickets to Hickman's Killer Breakfast. Even if you aren't into D&D, it's a very fun live D&D session/show with audience members hosted by Tracy Hickman and his wife Laura. A little preview from a couple years ago:

The 7 1/2 min mark is pretty good. Some people come prepared and put on a good show.