Jake

Ron Gilbert on Shaun of the Dead

Ron Gilbert has made a post about Shaun of the Dead in his blog...

I did an interview a few weeks ago and was asked what license I would want to work on.**I told him I couldn't think of any that were that interesting.**If asked the question today, it would be this film.

The interview in question is one which will be appearing on this very site in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

In the words of Chris, "It's too bad he referes to Shaun of the Dead as part of the Hollywood money machine. also too bad he calls it a 'perfect parody of zombie films'"

But whatever, he liked it, and vaguely plugged an upcoming Thumb article.

In other news, Ron Gilbert's Shaun of the Dead is something I'd buy, if only because that is weird.

I will though. I'll first watch Dawn of the Dead (original version by George Romero, which you may know coincidentally as founder of Ion Storm), and then proceed to Shaun.

Shaun of the Dead is pure excellence. Coincidentally, I got the DVD today.

Spaced also looks good. I was reading the Amazon.co.uk description and it said it had Star Wars refferences aplenty. (So Monkey Island)

Honestly?

I thought the remake of DAWN of the dead was complete shit!!

Shaun of the Dead looks funny, I'll prolly catch that bad boy soon.

Well, I just watched the original Dawn of the Dead, which was quite funny and gruesome. Strange, I really don't know what to think of it, I just know that I liked watching it.

Spaced also looks good. I was reading the Amazon.co.uk description and it said it had Star Wars refferences aplenty. (So Monkey Island)

Any sitcom that opens with a Robocop parody is a-ok in my book!

Spaced is indeed great, I wholeheartedly recommend it. It has a higher (heavier?) balance of spoofy/surreal humour over situational humour and serious moments than Shaun, and it works perfectly. It's similar characters to Shaun with similar crises, but at an earlier stage in their life.

A word of warning to anyone who hasn't seen Shaun yet: don't expect a spoof/parody, or even 'Spaced with zombies'. This is a zombie flick with a sense of humour, more along 'American Werewolf' lines.

And what's best, is then you can fully appreciate idiots who argue over its accessibility to American audiences

I just saw Shaun of the Dead. It was even better than I expected, certainly loads of fun when you know the original. What surprised me was how good a movie it was. It really stood on its own feet, and didn't just blatantly spoof everything. Especially the first hour is very strong. Something that also surprised me was how funny it really was. For some reason I haven't got a high opinion of English comedies. The image in my head is that they're really just social drama's with a few mildly amusing scenes tucked in here and there (The Full Monty comes to mind). But this was top notch comedy. It's one of the best movies to come out recently (though I haven't seen Eternal Sunshine yet, which is also supposed to be excellent).

:frusty:

16 days and the Shaun of the Dead DVD I ordered isn't here! Play.com is replacing the lost package with a new one, but...

Now I have to wait ANOTHER week! :\

And it's not in cinemas in my country, and it looks like it never will be... :shifty:

Which is a shame because it beats up the competition like they were stickfigures and Shaun a huge big bully on school. Albeit a sympathetic one.