Sign in to follow this  
Gwardinen

Dying Light

From the Steam Store page

"Dying Light is an action survival game presented in first-person perspective. The game is set in a vast and dangerous open world. During the day, you roam an urban environment devastated by a mysterious epidemic, scavenging for supplies and crafting weapons to help you defeat the hordes of mindless, flesh-hungry enemies the plague has created. At night, the hunter becomes the prey as the infected grow in strength and aggression - but even more lethal are the nocturnal, inhuman predators that leave their hives to feed. You will need to make use of all your skills and any available means to survive till dawn."

It seems pretty much like a more polished Dead Island, but with parkour and more emphasis on the day-night cycle. The first act of Dead Island was actually shockingly entertaining with others, so I'm quite intrigued by the drop-in, drop-out coop feature.

Has anyone played this? What are your initial impressions?

Is anyone interested in perhaps clubbing together for a 4-pack?

Only watched part of the GB quick look at the game so far, but I was amused that one of the early quest givers is a guy named Brecken. First thought immediately after seeing that was just "F Brecken".

I don't think my computer can handle this, so I imagine I'll be playing on PS4 albeit in a few weeks after I get through some of the games I'm working on already. Not to mention I believe reviewers just got the game this past weekend, which is an odd sign for a game that otherwise looks great.

Yeah - I am optimistic about this one but I don't like that I am not seeing any reviews yet.

Will be playing it on Xbox One, if it turns out to be good.

A friend bought a 4-pack and gave me one, so I guess I'm in on this. I'm still not exactly sure what the game even is.

The Alienware booth at PAX had this as a playable demo. It was actually pretty fun. The parkour stuff actually works and feels competent. GMG has a 25% off voucher valid until Friday:

HYEHZ0-GNKD1A-GFNGMQ

I'm tempted to pick this up.

Same I am tempted to jump in this with a bunch of mates....but am definitely going to wait to hear some discussion about it. 

That Forbes article is pretty misleading. In fact, the author had to update it because the press did in fact get digital copies prior to release. It sounds to me as if there's been some sort of manufacturing problem:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/19/7852295/dying-light-physical-release-delayed-in-europe

The initial impressions I've seen from a handful of outlets seem quite positive, actually. And from my very limited time with the game (seven minutes on the PAX show floor), I was surprised by its level of polish. I suppose it's possible WB wanted to suppress opinions on the game prior to release, but this smacks of mismanagement more than dubious business practices.

I'm a couple of hours in, and It's pretty cool so far, but the parkour stuff is still sort of unreliable. When it works it's awesome though. Still, it's missing some of what I liked about Dead Island, though I can't put my finger on what. Hopefully, it makes up for that by not completely falling apart after the first act.

That Forbes article is pretty misleading. In fact, the author had to update it because the press did in fact get digital copies prior to release. It sounds to me as if there's been some sort of manufacturing problem:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/19/7852295/dying-light-physical-release-delayed-in-europe

The initial impressions I've seen from a handful of outlets seem quite positive, actually. And from my very limited time with the game (seven minutes on the PAX show floor), I was surprised by its level of polish. I suppose it's possible WB wanted to suppress opinions on the game prior to release, but this smacks of mismanagement more than dubious business practices.

Yeah - I was aware of the disc delay. I am worried though that people weren't getting codes until 12 hours before release.

I am definitely hoping that this turns out to be mismangement. However, they also pulled out of EGX:Rezzed and so I couldn't bring myself to buy it or pre-order until I see some reviews from some sites I trust.

I'm a couple of hours in, and It's pretty cool so far, but the parkour stuff is still sort of unreliable. When it works it's awesome though. Still, it's missing some of what I liked about Dead Island, though I can't put my finger on what. Hopefully, it makes up for that by not completely falling apart after the first act.

I rented Dead Island from Gamefly, and found that the early game definitely had its charm, especially with analogue hack and slash.  I lost interest after a few hours, and returned it, but if I actually bought it I might give it more of a shot. Random tangent, I gave Crackdown 2 about 40 minutes before saying "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this" and returning the disk :P

I tihnk the reason for me losing interest may have been moving away from the utterly bizarre beach setting, where most of the zombies were clearly on holiday.

Dying light sounds cool, but I may be too much of a wuss for the night zombies... they freak me out a bit for some reason

I rented Dead Island from Gamefly, and found that the early game definitely had its charm, especially with analogue hack and slash.  I lost interest after a few hours, and returned it, but if I actually bought it I might give it more of a shot. Random tangent, I gave Crackdown 2 about 40 minutes before saying "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this" and returning the disk :P

I tihnk the reason for me losing interest may have been moving away from the utterly bizarre beach setting, where most of the zombies were clearly on holiday.

Dying light sounds cool, but I may be too much of a wuss for the night zombies... they freak me out a bit for some reason

Once you got to the slums, it definitely lost some of the narrative interest. The introduction and then incredible prevalence of guns toward the end of that area sucked the joy out of it for me, since the shooting in that game is pretty sub-average. Also, I was playing the bladed weapons character, which has its own drag of having all the coolest items with the least durability, requiring a lot of repairing and general fuss. I've been thinking about picking it up and trying to beat it, but I hear the end gets even more bland.

On the subject of the actual game the thread is about, those night zombies are terrifying, but it feels pretty cool when you manage to evade them. It's definitely a stealth/parkour game at night while it's more of a combat/occasional parkour game during the day.

Edit: I'd say that review sums up a lot of my first couple hours of play. I'm not near as annoyed at the failings as he is, but I imagine I might be pretty pissed at those details as well if I had to play it all day for two days.

Some of Jim Sterling's complaints speak to me (boilerplate White Savior storyline, ugh) while others actually pique my interest (weapon degradation, limited stamina, prioritizing movement over combat). It seems like it features some of the things that made Far Cry 2 as compelling as it is.

I'll probably wait for it to hit half price, but I imagine that it's probably a reasonably fun game that has its share of flaws. I'll be interested to see where other outlets come down on the game.

Having watched the Giant Bomb quicklook, I'm more intrigued seeing how agility and combat level up separately, meaning that you can customise your approach. I'm digging the whole open world RPG approach. It's not my top priority, but I am tempted to check it out

There's actually Agility, Strength, and Survivor Level that all gain XP separately. Survivor Level is quest XP. At level 5 though, none of the skills or abilities have been particularly transformative, basically a slide move, a 10% chance to stun, and a few additional crafting recipes. 

I've also watched a bit of Jim Sterling's livestream PC playthrough, which is somewhat concerning... apparently a post-release patch severely borked PC performance, although Techland is working on a new patch to deal with that. There was massive audio and visual stutter in his playthrough which was very off-putting.

This game gets a bunch better once you unlock improved parkour at level 5 agility. I'm still having fun with it, despite some occasional instances of really borked frame rate. I hope that patch doesn't ruin it for me.

Raising an old thread from the dead here, but...

I'm really enjoying this game! The story is terrible, but it's a great set of systems to interact with. 

I'll write more details about what I'm enjoying after I've played a bit more.

Sorry for digging up this very old thread.

I need help with buying this game. Would any of you nice folks be willing to buy it on Steam for me and send me the key? Money up front, via PayPal.

As a German person in Germany I can't buy it via Steam because it's heavily age restricted. It's not forbidden for me to own it, I could probably buy it in a shop (games in shops, crazy, right!) showing my ID - if I was willing to look for such a shop, actually find one that sells it and wrap my head around the resurfacing concept of games as something you can touch - and it's possible to buy a key from legitimate sites and activate it, but the one (probably Austrian) site in mind that specifically caters to silly Germans with their silly laws with this offer still sells it for 40 bucks regardless of summer sales or the passing of time.

I'm not (very) active here, but am a member of this fine community for ages, participated in the fantastic Idle Santa twice and both times sent my presents just a tad late - what I'm saying is: I'm legit. And very over eighteen.

Thanks!

Last try, after this I'll let it rest, just, the Steam Summer Sale ends soon.

Anyone? As I said, money up front.

Thanks a bunch!

The name's 'castorp' as well.

As I don't see Dying Light on Steam, I don't know wether there are different versions or packages one can buy. RPS said Steam has the "Dying Light Enhanced Edition" for £13.19/€16.49/$19.79/67% off - that's (most probably) the version I want, with all the nice updates and expansions out there.

Just PM me your PayPal info and I send the money right away.