I agree that Dwarf Fortress is unmissable in some sense, but most people wouldn't enjoy it. All of my favourite games are unmissable in that same sense. I don't want to just list my favourite games though. Here are the ones I think everyone can and should play:

VVVVVV - One of the purest expressions of the fun of games that isn't a single screen game (like Tetris or Pac-Man). The simplicity and forgiving checkpointing makes it a game anyone can play, and the soundtrack is sublime. Yes, it's definitely a game everyone should try.

Super Metroid - As someone who came to this game very late I think it has a timeless quality to it. 20 years from now it will still be an amazing game in a way that very few other games will (I think Quake III is another one that has that timeless quality). It holds up in a way that most classic games from that era don't, LttP in particular. Pure design genius.

Dark Souls - I'd sound like a broken record talking about it more, but this is a game I'll never stop evangalizing. I wish the thumb's crew had played it.

So I've been thinking about this on and off since I finished Super Metroid. 

These kind of lists are super fascinating to me, and really help me understand my tastes. I'd love for there to be a post which contains the top 10/whatever games from different genres. 

I've set myself a task this year of only buying one new game every 3 months (unless there's an obscene sale). Which means I'm actually destroying my back log right now, but I'd really like to try some more already released games that belong in the hall of game.

defining genres and what belongs in the top 10 is a mess.

but it is a mess I love to make.