Sign in to follow this  
Cordeos

Battlefleet Gothic Armada

bfga3small.jpg

Turn based over map with real time battles. (Total war style I assume). They don't get into if and how you get more ships, but I love the captains system.  

" instructing a captain to pull out of combat when his ship had taken a certain amount of damage. Perhaps you want him to disengage early because you’ve spent a fortune upgrading his weapons systems, or because the crew are particularly talented and should definitely live to fight another day. Whatever the case, as soon as the threshold is reached, he should activate his warp drive and scarper.

A particularly brave captain might refuse the order, however, insisting that his crew be reduced to space dust rather than retreating. At this point, you have a choice – allow him to follow his dreams of glory/death, or put your foot down and force obedience. If you choose the former course, dissent within the ranks will grow and other captains will become more likely to rebel against orders, but if you rattle the chain of command, a ‘Blame’ point will be assigned to the captain. If he accrues three, he’s for the chop, publicly executed to set an example. All glory to the Emperor."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/21/first-look-battlefleet-gothic-armada/

This game and the announcement of Warhammer: Total War have me pretty excited for the future of Warhammer and 40k RTS.

I have to say, visually it's looking good. I'd like some variance on the races/factions though, Chaos, Eldar, Imperial and Orkz again as the starting lot for a strategy game >_< Mix it up a little guys. Swap out the Orkz for the Tyranids or something at least.

Still, we have barely any info, so will be keeping an eye on it, that's for sure.

Sorta cautiously optimistic here, do we know if it's the same team who did Bloodbowl or just same publisher?

Just the same publisher. Focus Home Interactive seems to do a lot of work with Games Workshop, but the games are usually made by different developers - this one is Tindalos Interactive. Cyanide did Blood Bowl.

I'm not expecting much. There's been a glut of GW games over the past few years and none of them have been good. [DoW1 was good, but that was ages ago. I thought DoW2 was somewhat unsatisfying given how small scale it was. I haven't played Blood Bowl recently, but the last version I did play was a terrible computer game adaptation of a brilliant board game. So the end result was ok, but nowhere near as good and slick as it should of been].

On a related note, has anybody bothered to play the 40k Armageddon wargame?

I have to say, visually it's looking good. I'd like some variance on the races/factions though, Chaos, Eldar, Imperial and Orkz again as the starting lot for a strategy game >_< Mix it up a little guys. Swap out the Orkz for the Tyranids or something at least.

Still, we have barely any info, so will be keeping an eye on it, that's for sure.

I assume if the game does well they will add more races as they did in Dawn of War 1.

On a related note, has anybody bothered to play the 40k Armageddon wargame?

I'm waiting for the iOS version. I expect to enjoy it, since I like Panzer Corps, the game on which it is based.

Full Control's Space Hulk adaptation ended up being pretty decent after a bunch of updates. There are still some weird UI and art choices, but as a literal interpretation of the board game, it gets the job done. I haven't tried the followup, Ascension, which makes it less literal and approaches it more as an electronic game.

Space Marine was good.

On the Fantasy front, the new Mordheim thing is really fun. It's like Valkyria Chronicles, which seems like a good starting point for that particular game.

I'm not expecting much. There's been a glut of GW games over the past few years and none of them have been good.

This one is by the guys who did Stellar Impact, which got an okay reception and makes them better suited than the majority of developers to adapting Battlefleet Gothic. It's also already (in the albeit limited things released so far) showing more polish than Mordheim. Bloodbowl also got good reviews.

I'm pleased at how liberally GW are licensing old stuff out. They've flirted with video games since the 80's as far as I'm aware, but until recently retired tabletop stuff just got buried for a long time.

This one is by the guys who did Stellar Impact, which got an okay reception and makes them better suited than the majority of developers to adapting Battlefleet Gothic. It's also already (in the albeit limited things released so far) showing more polish than Mordheim. Bloodbowl also got good reviews.

I'm pleased at how liberally GW are licensing old stuff out. They've flirted with video games since the 80's as far as I'm aware, but until recently retired tabletop stuff just got buried for a long time.

but someone they haven't licensed necromunda! I mean space hulk & blood bowl before it get, but mordhiem? or gothic? just get 2k in & strap it onto a reskinned X-com game and be done with it!

If Mordhiem works I suspect Necromunda won't be too far behind.

I don't hold out much hope for Mordhiem. I expect it to be sort of ok, but not really worth playing given the huge number of other games, unless you are heavily invested in the setting.

Rogue Trader is my favorite 40k RPG, so this game has me pretty excited.

The devs might have to create new ships for some factions, as I think the game line got cancelled before all of them were fully fleshed out.

Dang that's a nice, professional lookin' trailer, and it sounds like they really get 40k. Imperial ship designs are pretty dang cool, and haven't been in any games that I'm aware of, so I'm excited to see how this comes out.

Dang that's a nice, professional lookin' trailer, and it sounds like they really get 40k. Imperial ship designs are pretty dang cool, and haven't been in any games that I'm aware of, so I'm excited to see how this comes out.

There was an Imperial ship in the FPS Fire Warrior.