Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn

BATTLETOADS!

Today at the Windows 10 event:

attachicon.gifbattletoadphoto+(1).jpg

Is it happening?

By the way, I like Phil Spencer. He seems like a guy that actually cares about games, instead of being just the regular CEOs that we often see.

For no apparent reason, he showed up at the Windows 10 event wearing a Battletoads shirt. Which previously he wore a Crackdown t-shirt to an event or something before Crackdown 2 was announced. So people are hoping this is him being cheeky and having some fun hinting that a new one is coming (which someone at Microsoft has said recently is a property they want to bring back).

Oo, heard that one a lot.  Paused to look down at full page level spreads in Nintendo Power and figure out how to get anywhere

Battletoads was often rented in my youth - and i dont know why we kept going back.  That level shown (zone 3?) was the furthest we ever got, i dont even know what is after it.  Is there more? Does anyone beat this thing? 

The attraction was certainly the cool shape mutation and Turtles adjacent theme.  I feel like i need to play a Rom to see if it actually was as impossible as i remember

We also rented it a bunch of times, probably enough to justify buying it.  It was easy to get obsessed with.  I'm sure that my brother and I got through Level 3 at least a few times, though I'm also positive that we never finished it.  Looking at some videos, I think we made it to level 5 or 6 a couple of times, as those look familiar but later levels don't so much.  But I'm also sure that the Turbo Tunnel killed us many, many, many times. 

This game was always garbage (except the audio/visual of course). I loved games like this when I was too young to know any better but going back to them... yeesh. Game design has come such a long way

he showed up at the Windows 10 event wearing a Battletoads shirt.

"And now, the new Windows startup sound, world premiere!" Boom-Clap Boom-Clap Boom-Clap-Clap-Clap...

Battletoads was often rented in my youth - and i dont know why we kept going back.  That level shown (zone 3?) was the furthest we ever got, i dont even know what is after it.  Is there more? Does anyone beat this thing? 

Battletoads is a staple at the Game Done Quick marathons so you can check those runs out to see it beaten fast (without warps too).  For someone not super familiar with the game, it's difficulty is pretty high.  But like most games of the era, a lot of it boils down to memorization.  The Turbo Tunnels are probably the most infamous level of the game.  There's a couple of levels that have a similar idea (like one where you ride a boogie board on a river or another where you ride a rocket).  One thing I like about the game is the variety of level types.  A lot of them are based on a common theme (a race of some type) but they still have a lot of variation even within that idea.

Why would you bring back Battletoads? The only thing it had to offer was its knock-off Turtles theming and the Turtles are not the cultural force they once were.

Turtles are massive now, no?

My experience with Battletoads is the Vs Double Dragon game. Good memories, but it's going to take more than that to make a comeback successful. Third person? 2D platformer? Difficult to summon enthusiasm. Killer Instinct is supposed to be pretty good, but Rare didn't do that.

Why would you bring back Battletoads? The only thing it had to offer was its knock-off Turtles theming and the Turtles are not the cultural force they once were.

That's selling it super short. Battletoads has achieved a legendary, cult classic status. Even if most of the people who talk about it never played it, they know what it is.

As a kid, I never thought of it as a Turtles knockoff (though obviously it is).  Given how fucking weird a lot of games were back then, having a couple of 'roided out toads who were intergalactic space marines didn't seem strange in the slightest, nor like they were drawing from the Turtles. 

I love that Battletoads was marketed in Japan as the game that everyone in America found too difficult (and was actually an easier version of the game).

Also, anyone ever see the cartoon pilot they made? It's bad, but not nearly as awful as something like the Bubsy Bobcat pilot. The intro is super catchy, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQxHzys2hBo

Like apparently a lot of people here, I loved Battletoads when I was a kid. I loved the way their hands morphed into giant weapons. It was the coolest thing to me. I even had a favorite toad, although I can't for the life of me remember which one it was...

I also know now that it's... not really a great game.

But that nostalgia alone means I'd welcome a GOOD Battletoads game, and it's entirely possible to make a good game these days!

Like apparently a lot of people here, I loved Battletoads when I was a kid. I loved the way their hands morphed into giant weapons. It was the coolest thing to me. I even had a favorite toad, although I can't for the life of me remember which one it was...

Battletoads_%28characters%29.jpg

Left to right: Zitz, Rash, Pimple

The 'Toads all appear in every Battletoads game, but which ones were playable depends on the game because normally one (or in the case of the Gameboy game two) of them is captured prior to the start of the game.  The Double Dragon and arcade games are the only ones where all 3 are playable.

My favorite was probably Rash, then. LOOK AT THOSE SWEET SHADES.

Pimple's the best, because he's the big, dumb one. And the big, dumb one is always the best.

Pimple's the best, because he's the big, dumb one. And the big, dumb one is always the best.

For speedrunning that's totally true.  Pimple does the most damage so he's usually chosen by speedrunners to get through the combat portions faster.

That does not need to be over five minutes!

You're right.

I totally listened to all 5+ minutes yesterday, I just started it and clicked over to another tab to write an email. Kind of soothing, really.

Edited to add: Fuck yes Twig.

Give Battletoads to Ninja Theory and let nature run its course. I would play the hell out of a DmC-esque Battletoads.