Jake

Twin Peaks Discussion

Recently joined Tumblr, and am posting a lot of Twin Peaks content over there: http://lost-in-the-movies.tumblr.com/

Meanwhile, there's been some surprising news on the new 2016/17 Showtime Twin Peaks front. Semi-spoiler-ish so I won't post it directly but here's a link to a thread discussing some of this stuff: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2920&start=270

Oh, and the gang isn't going to do that True Detective season 1 podcast anymore, are they? Feels like that ship really sank with the aftertaste of season 2, and nobody even wants to think about the series anymore. Although it did well ratings-wise, I'm guessing 

I was wondering about this but am averse to spoilers for True Detective since I've watched none of it, are they done with that podcast? If that's the case I'd just start watching now but I'd wait if the Thumbs plan to continue it after a break.

I just made a playlist of all the early 90s Twin Peaks videos I could find on YouTube yesterday. I'm sure there are probably plenty more - although I ignored stuff already on the Gold Box or The Entire Mystery - but this is a good selection of 35 or so (including some programs that are split into several videos).

Really fun to watch all the actors in their youth and see the hype at the time. I tried to place them in chronological order though I have no idea when that first Sherilyn clip is from - could even be a bit after Twin Peaks ended. Incidentally, the guy from the Madchen Amick interview seemed really skeevy in that interview. I didn't know much about him, so I looked him up and holy shit:

On a more serious note (at least in retrospect) there are some great Catherine Coulson clips in there too, one from the Emmys, and also some from the premiere of Fire Walk With Me in '92. Such a bummer to hear about that the other day. I wonder if, knowing the state of her health, Lynch & her filmed something quietly a few months ago. I hope so for their sake as much as anything - it would be really poignant for them to have collaborated one last time, since she was one of his oldest friends (helping him out with Eraserhead and starring in one of his earliest short films, The Amputee). Apparently he even saved her life at one point, and she would call him every year on his birthday to thank him. She was also a groundbreaking camera assistant, one of the first women in the camera union. Here are some great recent interviews with her:

& http://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-pj42z-57b27c

RIP

My friend from college hosts a pop culture podcast, and this week she and her husband discussed Twin Peaks!

http://thexhour.podbean.com/e/an-hour-with-your-ex-142-twin-peaks/

There's nothing as in-depth as Twin Peaks Rewatch, but they have a brief interview with Brad Dukes, the author of the oral history of Twin Peaks, so that might be interesting to some of you.

My friend from college hosts a pop culture podcast, and this week she and her husband discussed Twin Peaks!

http://thexhour.podbean.com/e/an-hour-with-your-ex-142-twin-peaks/

There's nothing as in-depth as Twin Peaks Rewatch, but they have a brief interview with Brad Dukes, the author of the oral history of Twin Peaks, so that might be interesting to some of you.

Thanks for sharing that - I enjoyed the discussion & the interview with Brad. I was surprised they never once mentioned Fire Walk with Me though, especially as they mentioned a few things that are ONLY referenced in the movie (Mike being related to the Little Man, or the good Coop being stuck in the Lodge). It actually got kind of funny at one point, where I was perversely hoping they wouldn't mention the film just to see how long a Twin Peaks podcast could go without bringing it up even when skating really close to it. Any idea what they think of the movie? I'm particularly curious if your friend saw it - especially since she mentioned Laura as her favorite character and Sheryl Lee as her favorite actress but didn't talk about FWWM.

Any idea what they think of the movie? I'm particularly curious if your friend saw it - especially since she mentioned Laura as her favorite character and Sheryl Lee as her favorite actress but didn't talk about FWWM.

I'm fairly sure she's seen Fire Walk With Me, but I have no idea what she thinks of it.  I wonder if she and Mark will do an episode for the 2017 series...?

Mark and David always knew who the killer was,
from the moment they first gave names to their characters.

Who's up for some wordplay?

Palindromes in Twin Peaks include:
- BOB
- "Wow, BOB. WOW" (spoken Lodge-backwards)
- Lil

1) Take the first name of the detective, then the first name of the killer.

They form a near mirror; a slightly broken, statistically impossible palindrome of nine letters (plus one pesky n).

Dale Leland

daleleland

[ dalelelad ]

2) dale and lea (or lea-land) are synonyms, meaning valley.

3) Removing the n is one way to achieve symmetry, but dalelelad means nothing.
Another option is to insert a second n into the letter sequence.

Dnale Leland

DnaleLeland

Symmetrical, but meaningless... yet there is a wonderful palindrome at hand! Remove an "le" and discover

Dnale land

DNA Leland

In December 1988, DNA technology was not advanced enough to be widely used in criminal forensic investigations. In the years just prior to the writing of the Northwest Passage script, there had been several widely-reported cases which did involve DNA leading to exoneration or conviction. The testing technique available took weeks to yield results, and required large samples of pure, untainted material from which to extract DNA. If Laura's murder had taken place six years later, the test results from evidence collected in the train car or on Laura's body would have revealed a first-order relative, Leland Palmer.

It has been shown that the life and imagery of the poet Anne Sexton was most probably a primary source for many important aspects of the story of the Palmer family. http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/reference/annesexton/

"If I write RATS and discover that rats reads STAR backwards, and amazingly STAR is wonderful and good because I found it in rats, then is star untrue? Of course I know that words are just a counting game, I know this until the words start to arrange themselves and write something better than I would ever know." - Anne Sexton

Mark and David let the letters arrange themselves, and the result was Dale Leland - and that's something better than you can comprehend. Guess what just happened, this very minute? I realized for the thousandth time that Twin Peaks is more genius than I can comprehend... because you can remove most of the letters from

Daleleland

and get the palindrome

Dad

Mark and David ALWAYS knew Leland was the killer; before they hired Wise to play Leland, long before any owl associations were scripted for him. Even his gloriously creepy head rotation, while he sat in the dark by the door and watched Maddy sneak out, was Ray's wise idea (as he tells the story). David spoke about cars with Ray, then cast him not to play the sheriff (as he had expected), but instead made Ray Wise into the predator owl.

The only aspects of Twin Peaks I am certain came before the [Dale Leland] palindrome are
the Log Girl; Laura blue body on the shore; the owls; the forest; and the wind.

- Prophit

[actual name: Christian. in old alt.tv.twin-peaks: Trichome]

And we wanted to stop him to ask questions, but like that he was gone down the road, off to another message board that needed him. But I'll never forget that lonesome drifter, nor his wordplay.

And we wanted to stop him to ask questions, but like that he was gone down the road, off to another message board that needed him. But I'll never forget that lonesome drifter, nor his wordplay.

It's not easy being a cross between Harold Smith and Ronnie Rocket.

What other topics would you like to hear about?

I have made many discoveries about Twin Peaks which otherwise unknown. Many of them are tiny insights; some are only good questions; but some are as grand as finding the original petroglyphs.

I made this my pinned tweet last night for no reason:

post-8337-0-30467300-1471582857_thumb.jpg

Also, did you see that news about the audio version of Mark Frost's Secret History of Twin Peaks?  Original cast members will voice their characters!  Only the male ones!  Including Hank!  I don't know what to make of it.

I made this my pinned tweet last night for no reason:

attachicon.gifPinned Tweets.jpg

Also, did you see that news about the audio version of Mark Frost's Secret History of Twin Peaks?  Original cast members will voice their characters!  Only the male ones!  Including Hank!  I don't know what to make of it.

Woah, missed that. That's crazy. Why only the male ones?

They're going all in on the precedent of re-casting Donna, extrapolated over decades.

That's probably coincidence instead of design, but if this is meant to include characters who had prominent public roles in town (and that's a total shot in the dark), wouldn't Norma or Catherine be good choices to include?

I found the official blurb on the Amazon page for the audiobook.

Four original TWIN PEAKS cast members― Kyle MacLachlan, Russ Tamblyn, Michael Horse, and David Patrick Kelly―who are appearing in the new TWIN PEAKS for SHOWTIME®―join three new actors―Amy Shiels, Robert Knepper, James Morrison―to voice the audiobook edition of the novel, along with co-creator Mark Frost and original cast member Chris Mulkey. Additional actors Annie Wersching (Bosch) and Len Caiou (Blue Bloods) will also be featured.

That's Our Waldo apparently already made the joke that Mark Frost will voice his old character, news reporter Cyril Ponds.

Hey folks, I'm a relatively new listener to Idle Thumbs but I wanted to jump on the forums to express my thanks for the wonderful Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast, of which I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to over the course of the past two weeks. It's been a fantastic companion piece for my first time going through the Twin Peaks tv series and it has given me a lot of insight into the the ways in which this show has become such a cult hit. Without the podcast I likely would have fallen off around the mid-to-late season 2 arcs but I'm grateful that I stuck around and went on to watch what could possibly be my favourite piece of Twin Peaks, the Fire Walk With Me movie. Like many of you I am very keen to see what exactly Lynch and Frost have planned for this third season and you can bet I'll be listening to the new podcast episodes that are put out to coincide with its return. Once again, thanks for the podcast! 

As an aside, I figured I'd share this interesting little fan website that explores the various realities that feature in Lynch's work. I think it's a really well crafted website and the Twin Peaks element in particular is fun to explore. It almost reminds me of P.T. If you haven't finished the show or have yet to watch the movie, I'd recommend doing so first. There may also be spoilers in there for the other films David Lynch has created but I haven't explored the whole thing. I'll attach the home page as well as a link to the Twin Peaks-focused stuff. 

Twin Peaks: http://lynch.batbad.com/black_lodge/

Home Page: http://lynch.batbad.com/

Woof, new Twin Peaks isn't far off now. It premieres in May?

Are Chris and Jake still planning on doing a podcast around the new season? I, for one, absolutely *love* having a podcast to listen to as I watch it so I really hope you do. :tup:

13 hours ago, BigJKO said:

Woof, new Twin Peaks isn't far off now. It premieres in May?

Are Chris and Jake still planning on doing a podcast around the new season? I, for one, absolutely *love* having a podcast to listen to as I watch it so I really hope you do. :tup:

Yep, that's still the plan!

Yes! Yay! :tup: Look forward to it (and the actual new season of Twin Peaks, but whatever..)

Glad to hear it about the podcast! I've yet to listen to Twin Peaks Rewatch as I've only seen the series once (and shamefully recently) but I'm excited to go through it. Currently planning to lead up to the new season with 1 episode/day + TPRw and Fire Walk With Me day of the premiere.

Also I guess you can still order David Lynch Signature Brand Coffee

https://www.javadistribution.com/allegro-coffee//david-lynch-signature-cup-organic-coffee/

16 hours ago, SirSlade said:

Glad to hear it about the podcast! I've yet to listen to Twin Peaks Rewatch as I've only seen the series once (and shamefully recently) but I'm excited to go through it. Currently planning to lead up to the new season with 1 episode/day + TPRw and Fire Walk With Me day of the premiere.

Also I guess you can still order David Lynch Signature Brand Coffee

https://www.javadistribution.com/allegro-coffee//david-lynch-signature-cup-organic-coffee/

You have the power to skip the worst of season two and listen to Chris and Jake goof on it instead. (They also summarize the episodes well if you're worried about missing anything plot-wise.) Use this power, use it well and be free.