Jake

Twin Peaks Discussion

So here I am to ask: Were the writers making it up as they went?

Yes (sort of).

is Twin Peaks still worth watching as a serial?

Yes (definitely).

Let me explain...

The co-creators claim that the mystery's resolution was planned at a very early stage, and I believe them. However, most other details were conceived on the fly. For example, a significant character/image was discovered by accident when a set dresser was caught on camera, a dream sequence was invented as a standalone scene before it was incorporated into the mystery as a dream (after which the dream images became substantial parts of the show's lore), and the actress who was hired just to play the corpse was so impressive they wrote a new part for her.

Here's the thing though: these and other on-the-fly decisions are arguably the best parts of the whole series. Had everything been neatly planned in advance and adhered to, Twin Peaks would be a much less interesting show. The reason is David Lynch, who works off intuition and has a mainline to his - and seemingly the viewers' - subconscious. Twin Peaks is ultimately more about mood than plot which is why it's so necessary for him to come back if the Showtime series is going to happen.

On the other hand, most of the post-mystery stories were made up as they went along in a bad way, i.e. not by Lynch. He took a powder until the final episode, in which - yet again - he threw out the script, improvised uncanny images based on instinct, and came up with arguably the best episode of the whole series. So the second half of the series is pretty rough but you'll definitely want to stick around for the finale.

Twin Peaks is far from perfect but it's extremely powerful. Whether or not you'll enjoy it depends on which quality you find more important. My advice? Give it the first 3 episodes. If you aren't hooked by the dream sequence at the end of the 3rd it's probably not for you.

Give it the first 3 episodes. If you aren't hooked by the dream sequence at the end of the 3rd it's probably not for you.

That was very helpful advice, thanks. Turns out it's not for me, but I love getting told "This is the point at which you'll know if it's for you" (and having that point be reasonably early). I wish more recommendations were like that.

That was very helpful advice, thanks. Turns out it's not for me, but I love getting told "This is the point at which you'll know if it's for you" (and having that point be reasonably early). I wish more recommendations were like that.

It isn't as easy with everything else. But that's the first moment where Twin Peaks goes kind of batshit - and it's relatively tame batshit compared to what comes later!

Watched the FWWM deleted scenes this weekend.  Makes sense why most of them were cut, but it was nice to check back in with the townsfolk.  The Pete/Josie scene was particular fun, but it would have felt out of place with the rest of the film.  Also liked the stuff that's post-season 2, but once again, I can see why it was cut.  Would make the film seem a little more aimless.

Has this been posted here before? I don't think so, but apologies if I'm wrong. Aired around the time of the episodes we're watching now (though the writers naturally seem more interested in the early touchstones of the show than, say, Windom Earle):

For some reason, I thought that the actor who played Mike had both arms.  I always thought that it looked like he was hiding an arm under his shirt.  Typing this out makes me feel like an asshole, but I was very surprised to see that this was not the case.

For some reason, I thought that the actor who played Mike had both arms.  I always thought that it looked like he was hiding an arm under his shirt.  Typing this out makes me feel like an asshole, but I was very surprised to see that this was not the case.

Don't worry, you're not alone. The first time I saw him I thought: "You can clearly see his arm under his sweater!"

I'm hoping they read my Wario Land 3 e-mail before the show is over, but it's maybe probably irrelevant to the show.

As a latter day fan of Twin Peaks and an old school fan of Wario Land, I'm very interested in hearing what the gist of that email is.

Originally posted this in the finale thread and then moved it here so it isn't off-topic.

This is the last chance to prepare first-timers for the feature film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, which is obviously next up for everyone reading this thread. Here are three bits of advice that may come in handy.

(I don't think this is too spoiler-y but if you prefer to go for the ride without any expectations about tone, style, or general subject, read no further)

1. Forget about Twin Peaks (for now).

I won't get into the details, but there are some major differences between the film and the show in both content and style. Fire Walk With Me ultimately has very different goals from the series. In my opinion, the film actually serves as a powerful and satisfying conclusion to the saga but that can be hard to see on first viewing so forget about that for now! Approach the film as a different entity, less a continuation of the TV show we've just watched for 30 episodes, and more the dark story of a girl who just happens to be named Laura Palmer and just happens to live in a town called Twin Peaks.

2. It's a horror film (sort of).

Fire Walk With Me is not gory but it's as psychologically dark, viscerally unnerving, and emotionally intense as any straight-up giallo or slasher movie (more, really). Other than the first 30 minutes (which feel like a different movie) it is not very quirky or "spooky" in the fun way of the show. It's just straight-up scary and uncomfortable and that's how it is intended to be, and where its strength lies. This kind of goes along with point #1. Also, as several viewers who skipped ahead have already stated on this forum, if you are very sensitive to strong depictions of abuse, anxiety, or depression, consider yourself warned. The film isn't just about trauma, it embodies it.

3. Don't try to figure it out (yet).

There are tons of seemingly throwaway surrealist details in the movie - this is Lynch after all. They are not as random as they may seem at first, but I think it's best to let them work their magic on a subconscious level rather than try to make rational sense of them. Twin Peaks fans are actually at a bit of a disadvantage here; we recognize Bob, the Little Man, the Red Room and will try to hook them up with their appearances on the show. This is fruitful on a second or third viewing, or in post-viewing discussion, but can be a distracting when first watching the movie (in my opinion). I get the sense Lynch wants to restore these images to the uncanny unknowability they first had on the series, more akin to characters like the Mystery Man or Creature Behind the Diner in his other movies. And it's best to approach them in that same spirit. Laura doesn't really understand who they are, and we are experiencing this world through her eyes after all.

I think Chris & Jake have a done a good job criticizing the flaws of Twin Peaks' second season, specifically the aspects that Lynch sets out to reverse in Fire Walk With Me, so hopefully the ground has been prepared for appreciation of the movie. Maybe my advice is helpful, maybe it isn't. In my experience, when first-time viewers reject the film, in my experience it's usually for one or several of the above reasons: they are expecting it to be like the show, they aren't expecting a horror film, or they are baffled by the dream logic. The film does have flaws, to be sure, but in those cases viewers are mistaking strengths for weaknesses.

Firewalk with me is most certainly a horror movie.  Looking forward to rewatching it and trying to collect my thoughts for an email or a forum post.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to talk about the film in two podcast episodes: the first for the Deer Meadow segment and the second for the Twin Peaks one. I fear that too much of interest would be dropped from the discussion otherwise. :crazy:

That's all very good advice regarding Fire Walk With Me, especially that it helps to regard it as its own, kinda Peaks-y thing.

Veering off-topic a little, I don't generally read fanfiction, but someone recommended this short story that takes place right after the show ends, from the point of view of Diane. I really liked it and thought it was well-done and sweet.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to talk about the film in two podcast episodes: the first for the Deer Meadow segment and the second for the Twin Peaks one. I fear that too much of interest would be dropped from the discussion otherwise. :crazy:

I don't want to ask people to split their viewing in half or to wait a whole week to hear the second half discussed. We just have to do a good job as hosts!

Is the film only available on Blu-Ray/DVD? I can't seem to find it on any streaming services. :(

If you download make sure you don't get the deleted scenes and/or a fanedit incorporating them. Unfortunately I've noticed that this is a huge problem right now especially since the film isn't streaming anywhere. People watch the whole thing without realizing they watched the wrong version, and are really confused. I expect this will happen to at least a few listeners - Chris & Jake, you may want to bring it up on the podcast.

It seems like they are doing more than the originally scheduled 9 episodes? I wonder if the dispute was over the episodes of the show he wanted to shoot as well.

I don't think I can manage to watch the last two episodes and the movie, let alone another series. Argh. Will have to force myself soon I guess.