Jake

Twin Peaks Discussion

What a strange video to watch right after seeing the show. They're all growed up!

Was that James? He still looks like a goober.

Guys, we may have found the one person in the universe other than Windom Earle who actually liked the chess set-ups!

On a side note, is talk about Lynch's other work fair game here or too off-topic? Because I just watched Lost Highway for the first time last night and I'm upset that I'm pretty sure it's a bad movie except for some very small portions. For reference, I absolutely loved Mullholland Dr, but LH just felt empty and dull to me and sort of felt like James Hurley: The Movie once

Balthazar Getty's leather jacket-clad brooding, emotionally vacant character showed up

Haha. Still to this day I can't decide whether I like Lost Highway or not (the one thing Lynch has done that I know I really didn't like is Inland Empire).

Lost Highway is my favorite Lynch movie! It just works for me, the most of all of his movies. Inland Empire I like the beginning of, but it loses me pretty quickly.

I was actually surprised by how good everyone looks.

Shit on James' actor all you folks like, but I'd throw him one. Even Bobby looks good. 

Sherilyn Fenn is answering questions on Facebook right now, there is a fb page - Official Twin Peaks Cast run site

This campaign reminds me of when lynch frost went on tv in the 90's to save twin peaks from cancelation, oddly enough after the very episode we are on, slaves and masters.

This may have been mentioned before but Radio 4 did a Twin Peaks programme and have a few little articles up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05pktlc

Interesting stuff (even though I'm not in the UK so I can't access everything), but I'm a little bit baffled by their so-called "family tree" for the show depicting the various media Twin Peaks has allegedly influenced. Some are obvious (The X-Files, Donnie Darko, Silent Hill), but I'm really trying to figure out how the show influenced The Wire and The Sopranos...is it just that Twin Peaks showed that you could tell a long-form, serialized story that spans months or entire years?

And then I'm also really trying to figure out how the show influenced The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo...great movie, but I have no clue how Twin Peaks would have influenced it.

Shit on James' actor all you folks like, but I'd throw him one. Even Bobby looks good. 

Haha.  There's no doubt he's a good-looking dude.  I don't even necessarily think he's a bad actor.  His character is just so abysmal.

I do think that his best scene is yet to come, however.  In the movie, there's a particular scene that brilliantly juxtaposed James's story-book ideas of love with the absolute horror of Laura's situation.

Interesting stuff (even though I'm not in the UK so I can't access everything), but I'm a little bit baffled by their so-called "family tree" for the show depicting the various media Twin Peaks has allegedly influenced. Some are obvious (The X-Files, Donnie Darko, Silent Hill), but I'm really trying to figure out how the show influenced The Wire and The Sopranos...is it just that Twin Peaks showed that you could tell a long-form, serialized story that spans months or entire years?

And then I'm also really trying to figure out how the show influenced The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo...great movie, but I have no clue how Twin Peaks would have influenced it.

Going to take an amateur stab at this but I believe Twin Peaks was really one of the first long-form "prestige" shows that came into being, most TV shows were not an hour long at that time nor did they have dedicated multi-story arcs going on at the same time with overlapping character interactions. So in that way, it definitely set the stage for things in TV where one character's actions has unintended consequences on other character's storylines that are defined by chronological or geographical boundaries. (Sopranos = family, mobsters in NJ, Wire = small organized drug dealers in one section of Baltimore, etc.)

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a stretch but you could make a case for twisting themes of sexual abuse and women's plights around organized masculine serial killing. Though that's not entirely new ground but I daresay that David Lynch is one of the few auteurs who have taken the time to give insight into the victim of said things. It's a weak parallel but interesting none the less. 

ZcWYfCE.png

Someone in another forum made an interesting observation: the article (which seems to be heavily shaped by Showtime's PR) writes "including" profit participation definitions, which means there were other concessions demanded. But that's the only one that gets mentioned, which makes Lynch look greedy/selfish for walking off the show: good spin for Showtime. For all we know, he might have been willing to bend, or at least negotiate longer, on that point but it was the other concessions that went too far for him.

Showtime is really stuck right now because they have to defend their reputation but they also (I hope) don't want to lose the show and by now, as the cast and public outcry have made clear, Lynch IS the show. I hope an agreement is reached soon but I don't think Lynch is bluffing so Showtime will now have to give him whatever he asked, maybe including keeping his profits at the same level.

What shocks me, from the same article, is apparently they made the huge public announcement without having read the scripts and thus having no real idea if their estimated budget was correct. I feel no matter what happens, they are going to be the laughingstock of the industry for the way they approached this. I wish everything had been locked down before they made it public but I guess if this budget was really too much for them, they wouldn't have agreed to the series in the first place.

Though I can never find the proper attribution, so maybe it was just apocryphal (though I doubt it), David Chase supposedly said he wanted The Sopranos to be "like Twin Peaks in New Jersey." The most notable influence is probably on the dream sequences.

Someone in another forum made an interesting observation: the article (which seems to be heavily shaped by Showtime's PR) writes "including" profit participation definitions, which means there were other concessions demanded. But that's the only one that gets mentioned, which makes Lynch look greedy/selfish for walking off the show: good spin for Showtime. For all we know, he might have been willing to bend, or at least negotiate longer, on that point but it was the other concessions that went too far for him.

Showtime is really stuck right now because they have to defend their reputation but they also (I hope) don't want to lose the show and by now, as the cast and public outcry have made clear, Lynch IS the show. I hope an agreement is reached soon but I don't think Lynch is bluffing so Showtime will now have to give him whatever he asked, maybe including keeping his profits at the same level.

What shocks me, from the same article, is apparently they made the huge public announcement without having read the scripts and thus having no real idea if their estimated budget was correct. I feel no matter what happens, they are going to be the laughingstock of the industry for the way they approached this. I wish everything had been locked down before they made it public but I guess if this budget was really too much for them, they wouldn't have agreed to the series in the first place.

Wow, thanks for the info, the whole situation is pretty confusing and it's hard to understand what's true and what isn't

Hey guys (and gals), not to take away from the discussion of the Showtime business, just curious if anyone else has read Sherilyn Fenn's blog?

Through watching the show for the first time over the past couple of weeks, I developed something of a crush/infatuation with Audrey, and as my creepy-but-not-stalker-level interest dictates, I did some digging around on Sherilyn Fenn, her other projects, etc., and found it. She comes across as pretty raw and honest, at least to me. A lot of it is about spiritual or life stuff (interesting stuff in there), but she also talks a bit about Twin Peaks, Lynch, even meeting Prince.

http://sherilynshines.blogspot.com/

A couple of posts about TP:

http://sherilynshines.blogspot.com/2010/05/moments-from-peaks-pilot.html

http://sherilynshines.blogspot.com/2009/12/job-that-changed-my-life.html

Showtime is really stuck right now because they have to defend their reputation but they also (I hope) don't want to lose the show and by now, as the cast and public outcry have made clear, Lynch IS the show.

I'm still considering this is all might be some organized PR stunt.  Yes advertising has made me that cynical.  I agree that Showtime is being penny-wise and pound foolish.  The season long story arc is one of the best things going for cable TV if it can be done well.  There's the rub.  Netflix, Amazon and others are also producing some really good shows.  What's showtime got?  No, seriously I'm really curious, I don't have cable.

Really, this entire series of events has only convinced me that for good or for ill I want Lynch to direct whatever he came up with, budget be damned - within prudent amounts.  I do think it is fun to see Lynch go old school, direct to the press (or, well Twitter) to force a studio's hand.  Reminds me of Gilliam's fights with Universal Pictures over Brazil.

Yeah, some of them definitely seem a little tenuous. I guess you could argue The Wire has a large cast of characters who weave their way through an overarching plot (though I'm speculating - The Wire is on my boxset binge list). It's nice to see Link's Awakening there, but again, it's difficult to see a direct connection, other than 'woah man, it's, like, surreeeeeeeal!' I get the impression that at some point the creators of all of those things have made known their liking of Twin Peaks.

Does anyone know the nitty-gritty business details of the Showtime deal? For example, if the deal was to fall through, could Lynch and Frost go to FX or Netflix, or have Showtime locked up the rights?

I'd probably add Top of the Lake to this list, as well. Similar dark feel with underlying supernatural elements.

Watched FWWM for the first time yesterday. Damn, that's some dark stuff.

Liked Moira Kelly as Donna. Maybe if the reboot still happens in 2016 and the producers don't want Lara Flynn Boyle, she could come back in that role?

I thought she did a great job too.

I've just sat down to watch an episode of Next Generation and guess who pops up:

Leland_zpszjt8frb2.jpg

He plays a member of a primitive race that the Federation are observing from a holo-shielded station in a rock face. Following an accident, Beverly transports him to the Enterprise. Cappy P is pissed. Memory wiping fails and on returning to his village he promptly regales everyone with tales of 'the Picard', a god who brought him back to life. From there Leland becomes more and more irrational, convinced that the storm is a sign that he must sacrifice Troi to please 'the Picard.'

It's a really great episode ('Who Watches the Watchers?') and it was a surprise to see Ray Wise. To compound it, one of the injured Federation observers is called Palmer so they spend a good fifteen minutes shouting 'We must find Palmer!', 'It's Palmer!', 'Palmer!', etc. It was originally aired in October '89 so it's right around Twin Peaks.

There's a similar podcast to this one about Star Trek called Mission Log. http://www.missionlogpodcast.com/

They just discussed an episode of Next Gen, "The Dauphin," which heavily featured Madchen Amick.

tumblr_mjbhpd45uM1s7ji5jo2_1280.jpg

I believe it's in early season 2? She plays a lady-in-waiting to the princess of a civil-war-ravaged planet. Always nice to see an actor you like get a turn in the Star Trek universe. Like Sarah Silverman on Voyager, as random as it was.

Hi folks, I'm new to the Twin Peaks thing. Ages and ages ago, I heard a conversation about Twin Peaks that said "After the show ran its course, the writers admitted that despite appearances, they had no grand plan, they'd been making it up as they went and sometimes even retroactively assigning significance to past events." This kept me away from the show for years, and I recently realized that I had never actually confirmed that that was true.

So here I am to ask: Were the writers making it up as they went? If so, that rather kills my interest in the arc plot, but is Twin Peaks still worth watching as a serial?