Jake

Twin Peaks Discussion

That's somehow the worst scenario: Peaks without Lynch. I'd probably rather it just stay dead.

Twin Peaks without Lynch worked so well last time, obviously.

Showtime is backpedaling like crazy. Apparently Lynch didn't notify them, he just went ahead and contacted the actors, and social media took over from there. Showtime basically has three options at this point: a - continue Twin Peaks without Lynch, b - abandon the show altogether, c - cave in and give Lynch what he wants and plead for him to come back. They are all pretty terrible options, the third because it basically admits defeat in the most publicly humiliating way possible. But only c) allows them to save face SOMEWHAT. Otherwise, the fail only becomes more and more epic and they just look like absolute fools in the PR game. I think they will come groveling to his doorstep and give him what he wants. I hope.

Showtime is backpedaling like crazy. Apparently Lynch didn't notify them, he just went ahead and contacted the actors, and social media took over from there. Showtime basically has three options at this point: a - continue Twin Peaks without Lynch, b - abandon the show altogether, c - cave in and give Lynch what he wants and plead for him to come back. They are all pretty terrible options, the third because it basically admits defeat in the most publicly humiliating way possible. But only c) allows them to save face SOMEWHAT. Otherwise, the fail only becomes more and more epic and they just look like absolute fools in the PR game. I think they will come groveling to his doorstep and give him what he wants. I hope.

Where is the reporting on Showtime's backpedaling? Not asking because I don't believe you, but because I don't know where to look for this sort of news and am really hungry for the scoop on what's going on.

This is the quote I've seen in a few places:

“We were saddened to read David Lynch’s statement today since we believed we were working towards solutions with David and his reps on the few remaining deal points. SHOWTIME also loves the world of Twin Peaks and we continue to hold out hope that we can bring it back in all its glory with both of its extraordinary creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost, at its helm.”

source:

http://deadline.com/2015/04/david-lynch-twin-peaks-directing-showtime-1201404765/

When I first read Lynch's statement, it did sound a bit like a hardcore negotiation tactic.

Where is the reporting on Showtime's backpedaling? Not asking because I don't believe you, but because I don't know where to look for this sort of news and am really hungry for the scoop on what's going on.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedEnt/status/584873761851211776

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/showtime-david-nevins-saving-twin-peaks/

Prediction: by April 8 (25th anniversary) we have good news. Fingers crossed anyway.

I guess I am not hip to Hollywood in that I cannot imagine why Showtime wouldn't just, as early interviews suggested, "sign the checks" and let Lynch do what he wants. But I also don't believe people who are speculating that Lynch never wanted in on the project because Showtime begged him to come on board - because if he didn't want on the project, why would he just not do the project? I cannot imagine Lynch feeling "pressured" to work on something he didn't want to. It's not like the guy is hurting for notoriety or money. 

If anything it feels like Lynch loves Twin Peaks enough that he's willing to go to the mat and air some dirt out in public to get what he believes in, and also he loves it enough to be willing to walk away if he doesn't think he can make it great. Those are the two best cases for me -- Lynch makes it on his terms, or the project dies because that can't happen and he walks. The middle ground - where the show happens, using scripts he co-wrote but without his direction, is the grossest possibility.

To me it doesn't feel like he's trying to wriggle out of an obligation - far from it - so it bums me out to hear that people are trying to put that on him. :\

I'm not entirely sure this show will be good even with Lynch at the helm. What a disaster if Showtime is seriously considering going on without him...

Yeah the upside of Lynch directing is that even if its bad, it will be interesting to pick apart and look at from a bunch of angles. If Lynch isn't involved and they still produce it, it will be maybe worth watching a little bit of to see what they did, but I doubt it will be fascinating throughout. The show at its best is so clearly when Frost and Lynch were working in sync on the story and script, and Lynch was behind the camera (or very closely), and it was at its worst when one or neither of them were in the building. Being promised a concentrated dose of Frost/Lynch for an entire season sets crazy expectations -- we never got that even during the main run of the series! -- which is probably also why people (including me) are responding so strongly to a change this drastic.

Yeah, I agree with Jake - BOTH Frost and Lynch have vociferously worked on this in the meantime (scripts) and Lynch has had his fingers around the rights to this stuff for a long time, he'd never let them go at this point in the game. So I'm suspecting Showtime of getting cold feet or dirty pool, more than the idea that Lynch just wanted out. 

Man, the Guardian came out punching with the most hilariously alarmist op-ed you could imagine. Did you know the real problem with Twin Peaks popularity is it's watched by too many hipsters?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/06/cool-twin-peaks-david-lynch-abuse-sexual-murder-young-women

Some interesting ideas but not a well-edited piece at all. The organization is disjointed (that short paragraph on pace comes out of nowhere), there are quite a few grammatical errors and most importantly the author's argument is confusing and at times contradictory. Is the "fun" fetishization a new wrinkle ("hipster appropriation") or deeply-rooted in the show's original reception? Is Lynch complicit in the fetishization or is it a misunderstanding of what he's doing? What does this have to do with him leaving the show? It's a pity because an exploration of the show's mixture of fun and darkness is certainly a rich subject, and it's fine not to come to tidy conclusions but then the essay should be presented in a more Socratic fashion. Frankly I find this to be a problem with a lot of mainstream media commemorations of the show. It all reads a bit like Mr. Jones in the Dylan song.

Here's a really good piece on Fire Walk With Me that covers some of the same ground as that op-ed, but far more cogently. To be fair, the author obviously had far more space and time to develop her ideas. Contains some superb analysis especially of how the film's form amplifies its themes:

http://thequietus.com/articles/10431-twin-peaks-fire-walk-with-me-david-lynch-20-years-on

Yeah I found it to be a really strange and unnecessary piece of moralizing (in addition to not having a coherent idea of what the article was about). There's a ton of humor in Twin Peaks as well as its darker subject matter. It's not an either/or proposition and I don't think anyone that has watched the show is oblivious to the heavy subject matters. Complaining about its hipster audience is especially bizarre since the show is basically a cult classic and so that audience you're complaining about are basically the people that have kept the show alive and something that remains culturally important instead of just a cheap punchline for a sitcom or whatever.

I'm not entirely sure this show will be good even with Lynch at the helm.

I know.  But even if it wasn't good it would still be something you've never seen before.  I think that's one of my favorite things about him, his films and other work are all something new.  Even the man himself, I remember re-watching Twin Peaks in college in the 90s during the Bravo marathon.  One of my friends pointed out that Gordon Cole was David Lynch, I my response was "That's ****** David Lynch??!?"  It was such a complete shattering of whatever placeholder image I had of him in my mind. 

Columbo didn’t have frequent, arresting close-ups of chess pieces ...

Guys, we may have found the one person in the universe other than Windom Earle who actually liked the chess set-ups!

On a side note, is talk about Lynch's other work fair game here or too off-topic? Because I just watched Lost Highway for the first time last night and I'm upset that I'm pretty sure it's a bad movie except for some very small portions. For reference, I absolutely loved Mullholland Dr, but LH just felt empty and dull to me and sort of felt like James Hurley: The Movie once

Balthazar Getty's leather jacket-clad brooding, emotionally vacant character showed up

Guess the actors were/are looking forward to working with David Lynch again and not randos

Guess the actors were/are looking forward to working with David Lynch again and not randos

Everyone just looks like a dad now!!!!