Jake

Twin Peaks Discussion

A bit of a change of topic...

The first time I watched the series, I was under the impression that there was no one named Diane. Instead, I thought Cooper had named his micro cassette recorder "Diane" and that was another quirk of his character. Re-watching, I realise this is both silly (Cooper asks for a delivery of cotton earplugs and later receives that delivery) and also maybe a little bit ...

possible? We never actually see Diane.

A bit of a change of topic...

The first time I watched the series, I was under the impression that there was no one named Diane. Instead, I thought Cooper had named his micro cassette recorder "Diane" and that was another quirk of his character. Re-watching, I realise this is both silly (Cooper asks for a delivery of cotton earplugs and later receives that delivery) and also maybe a little bit ...

possible? We never actually see Diane.

Diana is Siri.

Anyone who has the blu-rays should check out the "video postcards" feature on disc six. There's a ton of them but the essentials are Richard Beymer (talking about ayahuasca with a surprise guest), Don Davis (just a nice, poignant visit with the late actor), and ESPECIALLY Al Strobel, who shares the story of how he actually lost his arm which is pretty amazing (that sounds like an incredibly glib thing to say but when you hear the story you'll see what I mean; it's not so much about the accident as the experience he had afterwards).

I'm nearing the end of a full series rewatch and just wanted to share some words of encouragement with first-time viewers as often I'm down on the second half of the show, as are many. And certainly the first half (the Laura mystery) is more engrossing and appealing to watch, especially on first view (although I find the back half is more fun on return visits, once expectations are set lower). And even the late second season, when things improve, isn't quite in the same class. But if the first half of the series is better to watch, the second half may be better to think about. The gems are scattered throughout the dirt but they stick out in memory and the story starts to develop a thematic core and thrust that was more uncertain/obscured when it was purely a whodunit. Often this takes on-the-nose form, as characters enunciate ideas rather than just let them be played out in the action. And if it weren't for Lynch ending it with a bang - in the one-two masterstroke of the finale and film, all the preparation of the second season wouldn't matter for much. But he did, and it does.

My advice is enjoy the good bits, roll your eyes and enjoy laughing at the bad bits, and - especially near the end - pay attention to what is going on with the mythology and the characters, especially Cooper. What seems pedestrian or incidental at first glance may turn out to be key. Lynch threw out much of the script for the final episode and wrote his own for Fire Walk With Me (before proceeding to improvise crucial moments in that too). And he made a point of abandoning many season 2 developments and returning to the show's roots in Laura Palmer, the emotional reality of the community, and the mysticism of Cooper's dream. But he also carried through on the dramatic momentum of the episodes he did not write or direct, in subtle and often surprising ways, fulfilling as well as subverting Twin Peaks. It can be difficult to see the clues and connections, but as Cooper shows us, they're there if we look for them.

Anyone else think James Hurley and Harold Smith might be the smartest characters on the show in how they are both fed up with/completely avoid the bizarre hellscape that sometimes rears its head in Twin Peaks?

Just joking about James, but in all seriousness, I feel like there might be something to Harold's agoraphobia. Bummer about the hanging.

Harold is one of the only male characters in Twin Peaks who realizes that the reality of being there is a total disaster. Most of the men seem to be fueled by it in some way, and most of the women are subconsciously or consciously aware of its terribleness. Laura seems like she was somewhere in between - fueled by and terrified of it. Maybe it's part of why Harold and Laura had a connection?

Is there a way to un-"hide" posts? I made the mistake of typing a message from my phone and clumsy thumbs got in my way.

I unhid it!

Hey thought you all may enjoy my latest Twin Peaks project:

Celebrate Twin Peaks Day 2015, (February 23rd, the anniversary Laura Palmer's death) by watching the Twin Peaks pilot one more time along with this special commentary track. Pieter Dom from welcometotwinpeaks.com and Brad Dukes, author of Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks join your host Matt to give some new opinions, facts and trivia on an episode of television you've probably seen more times than you care to admit.

Let's stop this SPOILERs stuff: A January 1991 discussion of how best to manage spoilers for people who aren't caught up with the latest episode of Twin Peaks (at that point Episode 21).  Even then they struggled with the best way to do it!

It also features the acronym WKLP which I didn't understand.  Googling it reveals: Who Killed Laura Palmer.

You might not know that you can still read posts on alt.tv.twin-peaks from the show's original run. Just set a filter for the weeks around an episode's airdate and you can find out what the fans were thinking! If you dare!

Thanks for the tip, I already had a look around. They're your typical internet discussions, just from back in the day. This post, written after the premiere of Episode 3/2, is cute:

Someone on here, or maybe rec.arts.tv, said they had read the spoiler for the

series and knew who the killer was going to be.

Could that person (or anyone else who knows) please mail me who the killer is

going to be? NOT a complete synopsis of the series, just the name or descrip-

tion of the killer.

And I do NOT want anyones guesses or theories. if you know absolutely for

sure, such as being having seen a preview of the series or knowing David Lynch

personally, then please tell me... I'm not interest in dozens of messages of

"I think it is....."

Thanks in advance.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

You might not know that you can still read posts on alt.tv.twin-peaks from the show's original run. Just set a filter for the weeks around an episode's airdate and you can find out what the fans were thinking! If you dare!

Let's stop this SPOILERs stuff: A January 1991 discussion of how best to manage spoilers for people who aren't caught up with the latest episode of Twin Peaks (at that point Episode 21).  Even then they struggled with the best way to do it!

It also features the acronym WKLP which I didn't understand.  Googling it reveals: Who Killed Laura Palmer.

Thanks for the tip, I already had a look around. They're your typical internet discussions, just from back in the day. This post, written after the premiere of Episode 3/2, is cute:

Someone on here, or maybe rec.arts.tv, said they had read the spoiler for the

series and knew who the killer was going to be.

Could that person (or anyone else who knows) please mail me who the killer is

going to be? NOT a complete synopsis of the series, just the name or descrip-

tion of the killer.

And I do NOT want anyones guesses or theories. if you know absolutely for

sure, such as being having seen a preview of the series or knowing David Lynch

personally, then please tell me... I'm not interest in dozens of messages of

"I think it is....."

Thanks in advance.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Yeah the responses to that one are great lol.

I spent a lot of time exploring those archives this past fall, and ended up rounding up 100 or so of my favorite and/or the most interesting alt.tv.twin-peaks posts from the show's and film's original run here: http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/2014/11/twin-peaks-on-internetin-1990-alttvtwin.html. To avoid spoilers, don't read past 1/7/91 (the podcast has already gone past that point, but you don't want to stumble across a description of the next episode, so I'd stop there). Also, I use the "official" episode numbering so IdleThumbs' "episode 20" is listed in my descriptions as episode 19.

Highlights include a 1992 prediction that Twin Peaks will return in 2014, reports from the Fire Walk With Me set, and a hoax in which various commentators made up an episode of Twin Peaks for viewers who thought they'd missed one. On a more serious note, there are some really great psychological/thematic analyses of the characters and stories while they were unfolding. Maybe it's just me, but I found the conversations endlessly fascinating. Less of a time capsule than you'd think, although occasionally there are jolting reminders.

Seeing David Duchovny in this week's episode inspired me to finally check out The X-Files on Netflix. I just finished S1 E12 -- "Beyond The Sea" -- where Don Davis (Major Briggs) guest starred as Scully's father.

In the same episode, I noticed a familiar-looking face for a brief second during a scene when one of the victims is asked to identify their attacker:

Paa5jMc.png

Not sure if it was intended to be a Twin Peaks cameo (or if it's even the same actor) but it made me do a double-take.

I don't have any general point I want to address about the show at the moment, but I did want to post this awesome image by Andrew Scaife:

BzR21EtIIAAOv4I.jpg

Oh that totally reminds me there was a great game that really gave a good sense of the Black Lodge atmosphere I played years ago. Anyone know where to get it?

While we're waiting for the podcast to return, I recommend these Q&As with cast and crew:

Lots of illuminating stories and perspectives although at times they seem to contradict one another (I think there are four different versions given of how Lynch cast Frank Silva!). Avoid Part 7 if you haven't seen the finale yet.

Yeah I hope whatever is going on gets sorted. That news really bummed me out.

Damn. I don't know what the issue is, but I sincerely hope it gets hammered out. I can't think of many things that would be more disappointing than to have this thing fall apart now. It would genuinely break my heart.

I think it's part normal preproduction stuff and part Lynch being his usual cryptic/somewhat-frustrating self haha. He said he wasn't going to talk Twin Peaks until 2016 and yet people still keep asking him questions about it (and who can blame them of course!). This is sort of his classic way of nonchalantly dropping a bomb that may not be a bomb at all, changing the subject while keeping people talking and not really saying anything revealing.

I don't see any way in which this doesn't happen, most likely as the proposed 9-episode Showtime series next year. Certainly Showtime will ultimately bend over backwards to keep it going as this is a huge boon for them, a major media coup, and if they somehow lose it they will have massive egg on their face. And Lynch always follows through when he truly invests in a project - see Mulholland Drive TV pilot-to-film etc. The ball has begun rolling, and it won't stop rolling until it's reached its destination...which will probably surprise us, regardless.