Sign in to follow this  
riadsala

CK2 Succession Game

I find Dan Carlin really frustrating. I've only listened to one stretch of Hardcore History, the "Death Throes of the Republic" hexology, and I went from loving it in the beginning to hating it by the end. Carlin has a talent for rooting out the more extreme interpretations of any historical figure and a penchant for using them because they're interesting rather than necessarily true. These are both things against which I've struggled myself in my own professional career, so they're really hard for me to take in stride. Having to hear Carlin go on and on about Gaius Marius being a rock star of the ancient world, rather than trying to contextualize him within his own times, almost made me quit on its own. I really have no problem with people listening to him, because history is history and I won't begrudge people a more salacious take on it, but one look at his website, with "Blueprint for Armageddon" and "Prophets of Doom" as two of the latest releases, tells me that he's still not for me.

I also doubt that Carlin would ever do something like the history of the Holy Roman Empire. There are titanic confrontations between people who purport to rule the entire world, but these confrontations repeatedly end in compromise and failure for both sides. The upshot of the Investiture Contest and the Hohenstaufen's destruction is the enslavement of the pope to a different secular power and the end of the Holy Roman Empire as a political force on its own. I don't think that matches Carlin's style. Heck, it took me several years to get to know the people involved in that massive two hundred-year clusterfuck before I found my own place in it.

That all makes sense! Thanks for your take on him.

I think Carlin does a good job. I find his podcasts for more educational than anything that's on TV. And their entertaining - he's a good presenter. Sure, it's not as good as History of Rome, but what is :P Carlin also does a reasonable job of recommending books, so hopefully a few people end up reading up on topics after listening to his show.

That's really cool! I don't know many people who work on medieval history. Nearly everybody in my department is either a modernist or early modernist.

Really? Toronto's generally known for a strong medieval program, especially manuscript and document studies, thanks to its world-famous Latin courses. I forget, are you not in history?

The funny thing about my research is that I have zero interest in playing a Montferrat in Crusader Kings 2. The individuals are just too important to me, and I get frustrated that their paths to power are mostly nonexistent in the game's systems. It's like I'm too knowledgeable to enjoy myself in that respect.

I think Carlin does a good job. I find his podcasts for more educational than anything that's on TV. And their entertaining - he's a good presenter. Sure, it's not as good as History of Rome, but what is :P Carlin also does a reasonable job of recommending books, so hopefully a few people end up reading up on topics after listening to his show.

Yeah, I don't begrudge people listening to Carlin. He's engaging in a way I wish I could be and has a nose for stories. I just don't like his style, which I think sometimes keeps him from doing good history, and that means that I don't listen to him and can't really recommend him.

Yeah, I don't begrudge people listening to Carlin. He's engaging in a way I wish I could be and has a nose for stories. I just don't like his style, which I think sometimes keeps him from doing good history, and that means that I don't listen to him and can't really recommend him.

hey, would you mind making a new thread with your thoughts on various history podcasts? It seems a shame to bury information away in this thread as I'm sure others will be interested. And it helps derail this thread! You appear reasonably well qualified to give some recommendations, and sensible enough to admit that "other opinions are available" :)

Back on track: it's great that our succession game has it's own historian on hand :)

hey, would you mind making a new thread with your thoughts on various history podcasts? It seems a shame to bury information away in this thread as I'm sure others will be interested. And it helps derail this thread! You appear reasonably well qualified to give some recommendations, and sensible enough to admit that "other opinions are available" :)

Back on track: it's great that our succession game has it's own historian on hand :)

Audible.com also now has a ton of history classes recorded by professors if you are interested, I have found them to be really solid. I listen to tons of history audiobooks on audible because i have found the history podcasts to be too much surface scratching, not enough in depth. 

I'm gonna try out those tweaks and see if I can still play. We could email or Dropbox the file pretty easily. They're not that big, right?

Also we should totally post about this elsewhere on the forums so other people can follow along who normally ignore the strategy board.

Hi, did you manage to get things working? No urgent rush, but if you think it's going to take a week+, we should swap the player order around a little.

Hi, did you manage to get things working? No urgent rush, but if you think it's going to take a week+, we should swap the player order around a little.

I'm trying it out now, since I have a free evening! In the next few hours I'll either have had a good first session or let you all know to carry on ahead.

EDIT: It works! Surprisingly turning off those trees helps a lot. Expect an update about my early years a ruler soon!

I'm trying it out now, since I have a free evening! In the next few hours I'll either have had a good first session or let you all know to carry on ahead.

EDIT: It works! Surprisingly turning off those trees helps a lot. Expect an update about my early years a ruler soon!

Yay! I am so, so excited. Feel free to message me if you have something specific you want to do and need help with the mechanics to do it.

Is there a way to get more information on things in Ck2? For example, does the game keep a record of who was educated by who? Or why you have the option to righteously imprison somebody?

Is there a way to get more information on things in Ck2? For example, does the game keep a record of who was educated by who? Or why you have the option to righteously imprison somebody?

That new log book feature thing might track some of it?

My overdue beginning has arrived. I actually got a lot into 4 years, possibly I just wrote too much? I'll try be pithier next time if I need to be. Here is the beginning of my chronicle...

Duke Acfred of Provence 1102 - 1106
I am Duke Acfred of Provence. Through my wife the Duchess Berchte I am also Duke of Dauphiné.

I have just been named as duke because father has now returned to god. I pray that he is well received above, in spite of his flawed character he did his best to raise me in a fitting manner.

I was not given time to grieve before our family's power is being transitioned to me. I do not relish my father's death but it would be dishonest of me to claim that I was not in great anticipation of this chance at forwarding the family legacy. There is a great deal of sickness in this world that a devout and strong ruler can cure. After all, my children, Acfred (my eldest and heir), Beneset and Ana (not even three months old) are all I have to leave behind in this world once I move in like my father.

As a new duke, people are eager to know what kind of ruler I will be. And after the lax approach of my father they will want to pay attention as I set out the new rule. Everything we do is in service of the lord and I am on earth as chosen by him. I will accept no less than he would. As an early show of my rule I make an example of one of my vassals. Count Renaut of Venaissin was found to be plotting by my spymaster (named Blasi, he is of my own blood). I entertained the notion of merely ordering the Count to end his plot. But I was advised that he wouldn't listen to me as I lacked power? He will stew in the prison until he recognises his folly of judgement.

post-34425-0-54629900-1423266873_thumb.jpg

Soon afterward, I get word from the Holy Roman Emperor. He suggests that one of his own vassals, some underhanded rogue I've never met, should educate my brother Jaufret. The Emperor claims that it would allow him to become a proper German Catholic? I am a loyal man to my liege but this ignorance cannot be accepted and I have a duty to my brother to raise him correctly. I politely refused and pray the Emperor does not insist more as I turn to have Jaufret educated within my council instead.

post-34425-0-70444000-1423266883_thumb.jpg

In response, my Emperor chose to offer me the position as his Chancellor! This is a most gracious apology and certainly a post I have desired for a long time. I feel I can better serve my emperor in his closest council.

This news turned sour when I discovered that my vassals were voting in my sister as heir, and not a single vote was given to my son, the true successor. I was already agast at this when news came in that even my sister was beaten in votes by Countess Elisa of Forcalquier. A countess!? This will not stand, once my position is cemented I must change the laws of succession to be more sensible rather than this unstable voting system where my heir can change in a moment.

post-34425-0-09619600-1423266896_thumb.jpg

My Emperor beat down a war as I took my new title and now, not even half a year later, the king of France challenges him in a holy war. This war is folly and I wont stand by idly when a war of madness is fought so close to me. The French king is truly a fool, he barely has the men to match my own let alone my liege's. I gather all the men I can muster and charged into his territory, winning an early battle where I trounce them.

post-34425-0-52240900-1423266891_thumb.jpg

But... it seems I did not have a full report on the king's army. A company of soldiers, 10,000 strong, bears down on my gaggle of soldiers and routes us thoroughly. In response I retreated to lay siege in a county just outside my own borders as I tried to recover. Once my soldiers had regained confidence and occupied a city I returned to the fray, this time sure to stick with the Emperor's impressively sized army.

And then Pope Théodore III took his place in heaven. It was a solemn time, and made me reassess my contribution to the church. Not wishing to allow myself to fall out of a favour I sent Pope John Paul a gift to welcome him to office. As I would soon need a blessing to take my rightful kingdoms quite soon no doubt. Though naturally I do try to do my part for the church at all times.

post-34425-0-89935000-1423266903_thumb.jpg

Then even more glorious news, Emperor seeks the hand of my sister! Truly he favours my dynasty and thinks highly of us, especially if he can look beyond my sister's envious nature and take her as his beloved. Naturally I said yes, glad for our ties to get so tight. I can't help but think of perhaps being given new titles from the Emperor himself, however I must not pester him. He will give me my right as the time comes.

My wife was with child as I was busy with the war, but on Christmas day she blessed us with a pair of healthy twins! I name them Beatriz and Guilhém, bringing me to 5 children. I am truly blessed, but suddenly I am taken ill. I fear I have let my piety slip with prideful thoughts and dwelling on my entitlements.

post-34425-0-62500200-1423267793_thumb.jpg

I seek the pope's blessing. He offers me blessing for the right price. I oblige him instantly, but I feel that is not quite enough. There is more for me to do than just buying induglences...

post-34425-0-12757500-1423267797_thumb.jpg

Good work. And, you're not overdue at all. As long as progress doesn't stall completely, there's no rush :)

Nice too Actfred forging his own path.

It took me way too long to read and to respond to this, but it's really great, SBM! I like your focus on internal politics, rather than expansion.

The saga continues:

I immediately offer my services to the pope in his crusade, Jerusalem sorely needs our intervention to right God's presence. While waiting on his acceptance, I discover that my liege is fighting his own holy war for the duchy of Sicili! He has a vast army raised but my own effort would surely be missed if I didn't join in.

post-34425-0-50460600-1424068600_thumb.jpg

And then soon after the pope has accepted my offer...

post-34425-0-28111500-1424068488_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately it seems I must make a choice of who to support, my Holy Leader or my Earthly leader. Unless perhaps there is a way to appease both. But I grow tired, this illness saps my energy. Soon I will be rid of it once I prove my holy worthiness, but now I must go to bed and rest for tomorrow will be an important day.

post-34425-0-41868300-1424068479_thumb.jpg

So that was fun! I wasn't expecting my life to be cut so short but that's what a life fraught with illness gets you. It was a lot of fun. I enjoyed having such a specific focus with a character compared to my general playstyle of expanding at all costs. I look forward to possibly playing again if the loop around permits!

For the next person, here's your file to play as Duchess Elisa, voted into power ahead of my own children...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B466kqax_gDERzM5WlVRczJIR00/view?usp=sharing

So that was fun! I wasn't expecting my life to be cut so short but that's what a life fraught with illness gets you. It was a lot of fun. I enjoyed having such a specific focus with a character compared to my general playstyle of expanding at all costs. I look forward to possibly playing again if the loop around permits!

For the next person, here's your file to play as Duchess Elisa, voted into power ahead of my own children...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B466kqax_gDERzM5WlVRczJIR00/view?usp=sharing

Yeah, I feel bad that you died so young, but you definitely carved out your own niche. Who's next, Riadsala himself? I assume he's going to commit some infanticide to keep our game from ending with him...

Yeah, I feel bad that you died so young, but you definitely carved out your own niche. Who's next, Riadsala himself? I assume he's going to commit some infanticide to keep our game from ending with him...

Yeah, It's me up next. I'll have to read over the last post and see what I end up with.

SuperBiased... assuming the game keeps going long enough, we can add your name on at the end of the list [although give priority to enthusiastic newcomers].

Expect an update from me by the end of the week :)

I just made the time to read this. It's wonderful! I'm also very pleased that you have a matrilineal marriage and therefore there's no need for out-of-character murders to keep our game going.

I just made the time to read this. It's wonderful! I'm also very pleased that you have a matrilineal marriage and therefore there's no need for out-of-character murders to keep our game going.

Thanks.. although, we're running a variant of elective succession I believe, so I wouldn't need to be followed by my son? Still, it's fun to keep everything in character.. try and do things that are good for the family, but not necessarily great for the player. Which seems to be in keeping with her traits.

I have played a bit more, I just need to find time to crop the images and write up the diary. It's surprisingly hard work, as there are so many details that can be potentially mentioned.

I'm off to Brazil today with work for a week. I will try and take a copy of the save and my screenshots, and perhaps I'll find time to write up what's been happening while on the plane of something.

Who's after me anyway?

In my department, it's generally given that you can use either Latinized or Anglicized form of popes' names in your writing, so long as you're consistent. The exception for Latinization is Pope Hilarius and the exception for Anglicization are the Popes Eugene.

Medieval historians as a whole haven't figured out how to handle Pope Lando yet, besides laughing every time someone vandalizes his Wikipedia entry with pictures of Billy Dee Williams and descriptions of Cloud City.

Really? Toronto's generally known for a strong medieval program, especially manuscript and document studies, thanks to its world-famous Latin courses. I forget, are you not in history?

This is super late, but I just saw this post and wanted to clarify that I'm actually at Carleton, in Ottawa, not at U of T. Our history department, as far as I can tell, is mostly Canadianists and Early Modernists.