undermind9

Where in the World - Idle Thumbs Map

I listed Weston, West Virginia because its the town nearest where I live (well the nearest large town with a whopping 4,000 people) and I've always considered it my home town since its about 5 miles away and I'm in the same county (only other incorporated town/community in Lewis County is Jane Lew and its further away by a few miles and smaller).

Its weird that this is the first time I've ever realized how far north in WV I am, they always refer to Clarksburg and Fairmont (and Morgantown) as North-Central WV and Weston is always included in that, but I always thought Weston was pretty close to the middle of it (I think my mental map of the state was smaller in scale than the actual state).  After seeing the little pin on Weston I realized that its fairly far north in the state.

I also got a really good view of the big meteorite/fireball that streaked across the sky last November as a result of heading south on I-79 (just getting off the Weston exit actually) and seeing it streak almost overhead (even thought it wasn't really overhead as perspective is a weird thing), I thought it was a plane going down at first and got worried until it just went dark before it went over the horizon.

http://www.amsmeteors.org/2014/11/major-fireball-over-eastern-usa-november-3-2014/

Wouldn't you think it's going the other direction? There's less mail now than there was 10-20 years ago so it would be more viable to do it by hand than previous. 

This isn't true, or, at least, not in the way you're thinking. If mail volumes have declined, it's not by enough to make hand sorting more viable.

Think about the amount of mail Amazon sends out, for instance. In Australia, letter volumes (not parcels) haven't declined that much; there's fewer pieces of mail per delivery point, but many, many more delivery points.

Wait, what the fuck? Why is my location in South Illinois? It's not even in Chicago. That's not the address I put. o_O

I had to put in my adress two times. Now there are two castorps, but one lifes where there are none. The one in Scharnitz (northern Germany) is the imposter, please make him go away, undermind9.

Cool thing, this map!

Hm, either my pin disappeared or it was completely covered by jennegatron's. Does this map work properly if there are multiple people in the same city/postal code?

image4.jpg

Who's your closest Thumb?

Berkshire Anonymous, followed by Mington. How am I still the only one anywhere near London?

Berkshire Anonymous, followed by Mington. How am I still the only one anywhere near London?

Ben and I are in Cambridge! London's only 50 minutes away by train.

My nearest is SBM, but maybe ultimateHurl will be slightly closer. Only other chance is if there happens to be a thumb way out on the south tip of wales.

Haha suck it BigJKO. More likeBigJoke.

More like!

..jokelix!! >:|

Always the joker!

Also, can we somehow turn this map into a Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? game. Somehow! Someone figure it out.

Ben and I are in Cambridge! London's only 50 minutes away by train.

I said near London, not desolate hinterlands.

(People love when Londoners do that, right?)

This isn't true, or, at least, not in the way you're thinking. If mail volumes have declined, it's not by enough to make hand sorting more viable.

Think about the amount of mail Amazon sends out, for instance. In Australia, letter volumes (not parcels) haven't declined that much; there's fewer pieces of mail per delivery point, but many, many more delivery points.

I was thinking only postal, rather than parcel - stuff that hits your mailbox. I work in shipping for my company, I understand what you mean! FedEx/UPS/whatever all have electronic labels. I'm sure they include zip code because of course they should use all the information, but even if they didn't those companies would have a system that would digitize your location.

Holy shit, the closest thumb to me is monkehhh, whoever he is. :/

Although not on the map, i believe my closest thumb would be Olly Moss :frown:

Here we go again....

Waited for Merus to pop up on the map before I decided to broadcast my location to everyone on the internet.

Far as I'm concerned, good fucking luck narrowing down where I live past that, Gamergate, especially because I picked the council area instead of my suburb.

Holy shit, the closest thumb to me is monkehhh, whoever he is. :/

Hi there! If you see a 30-something someone with not much hair and an Idle Thumbs t-shirt in Leeds, it's probably me.

Hm, either my pin disappeared or it was completely covered by jennegatron's. Does this map work properly if there are multiple people in the same city/postal code?

oddly it does.  but when i pulled the zip-code off one of you's entries it moved the pin a few miles into town...Thanks Bing

Wait, what the fuck? Why is my location in South Illinois? It's not even in Chicago. That's not the address I put. o_O

msg me proper zip code, i figured you were just at Illinois State University

I had to put in my adress two times. Now there are two castorps, but one lifes where there are none. The one in Scharnitz (northern Germany) is the imposter, please make him go away, undermind9.

Cool thing, this map!

all fixed

I said near London, not desolate hinterlands.

(People love when Londoners do that, right?)

It is most endearing.