undermind9

Where in the World - Idle Thumbs Map

I'm not sure if this is true across the country, or maybe I just live on a border, but the other side of the street has a different post code than me. 

I put a zip from a previous address to ease my Internet Paranoia. Anyway, ATL #1 etc etc.

My previous address is in NYC, so that wouldn't work, ha! :D 

But my paranoia is also informed by the fact that I have a restraining order against someone so I feel justified in being a bit reticent. 

Anonymous in New York. Can i come stay with you? x

That's me putting my workplace instead of my new, shabby domicile in New Jersey.  I recommend staying far away from where I actually live, but if you want to stay in my office go for it!

Well yeah but that's what Ireland has. In Dublin there's a million people so we have a series of postcodes for the regions around the city.

But in my home town of Kilkenny there's maybe tens of thousands of people, so I dunno why they'd need postcodes.

I imagine it's a combo of what James said. The worse your handwriting or the crazier the address, the more a postal code is a necessity. They can at least get it to the right post office that way and then the resident handwriting wizard can decipher it.

e: I finally found out where video games come from. According to this map, ATLANTA!

I work for a company that makes software for the logistics sector. Ireland is always a pain for its lack of postal codes. A lot logistic stuff (cost calculation, sorting/hubs, etc.) is based on postal codes. You can't define a range of city names like you can with postal codes. Also, people really suck in writing city names correctly.

I put a zip from a previous address to ease my Internet Paranoia. Anyway, ATL #1 etc etc.

I put a nearby zip, since my last one would have been in Atlanta and I suuuuuuper don't live there anymore. Same concept though, I guess!

Now I'm really wanting more people to fill this out.

I love that Los Angeles is somehow near El Paso, Tx for someone.

Everyone knows that El Paso is not near anything.

i just tweaked some of the "error" pins, specifically the El Paso = LA post, silly Bing

Using the webform it keeps the spreadsheet safe from being mucked up and also hides any user submitted info (just comes up as "web user"), but if someone really wanted an entry changed just drop me a note