Sign in to follow this  
CollegeBaby

They're taking my Freeze Peach!

To be honest, the thread title grates on me the way almost any internet humor that depends on substituting similar sounding words like that. 

In other news, France, the bastion of free speech where millions rallied in unity to not be bowed by terrorism.  In this country where people shared and published Charlie Hebdo's work far and wide, so that the terrorists could not win.  The country to which all have looked for leadership in this moment...has been arresting people for shit they be saying and drawing.

Please Charlie Hebdo, if you want to prove how subversive and anti-establishment you are run a cartoon skewering all the politicians and world leaders who use your name to score political brownie points, while also denying the freedoms of their own citizens.

‘Staunch defenders of free press’ attend Paris rally

paris480.jpg?w=480&h=1155

Person A: Some of these comics are a bit racist. And I will kill you because of it.
Person B: What? You want to take away my satire?!
Person A: No, I just think we should acknowledge that they exist in a culture dominated by white voices and might perpetuate racist stereotypes. So I'm going to kill you.
Person B: YOU'RE GOING TO TAKE MY SATIRE
Person A: No, that's not...So I'm going to kill you.
Person B: BUT FREE SPEECH!!!

I feel like this is a better representation. I'm in no way defending the CH cartoons. They look pretty shitty and entirely racist, but I think this is the key point you're ignoring which caused the huge outcry. 

I feel like this is a better representation. I'm in no way defending the CH cartoons. They look pretty shitty and entirely racist, but I think this is the key point you're ignoring which caused the huge outcry. 

This depends on who you're reading as Person A. I read that as if A was someone who didn't condone the attacks but still thought CH's cartoons were racist and causing real issues, not that A was one of the terrorists involved.

Ohhhhh, fucking hell. I never get these types of things because I don't really pronounce stuff in my head that I read.

It took me 3 pages to read this because I thought it was an anime thing.

For that interpretation to make sense you would have to ignore that Charlie Hebdo were targeted for blasphemous depictions of the Prophet Muhammad, and that it would not make sense for them to be concerned about comics that perpetuate racist stereotypes by committing an act that would embody the very worst stereotype that Muslims are vilified for.

I have nothing useful to add to this thread but I'll jump on the bandwagon and say the thread title is terrible and needs to change.

In case you're not sure how to, edit your first post and use the full editor.  This will let you edit the thread title as well.

Don't do it CollegeBaby! I will be the sole voice of dissent here and say that I think it's an awesome thread title. It has generated discussions about free speech, frozen yogurt, princess peach, and probably other things that we haven't even thought of yet. Some threads aren't so lucky.

I suppose it makes sense that frozen princess peach has no use for clothes...

I guess this is a good time to point out that France doesn't grant the right to free speech anyway. They grant the right to free speech for things that there isn't a law against already.

Edit: I guess if you really look at it, the USA has become like that as well. I guess what I was really pointing out is that these laws have been around for a while and they're just deciding to enforce them now. 

They have indeed taken my freeze peach:

Peaches&HomemadeVanilla-nutritionbox.jpg

(Genuinely super delicious and also sadly unavailable outside certain regions of the US.)

I spent ~7 months living in Oklahoma and ate so much of the caramel pecan praline Blue Bell.  It's criminal they don't distribute everywhere.

For that interpretation to make sense you would have to ignore that Charlie Hebdo were targeted for blasphemous depictions of the Prophet Muhammad, and that it would not make sense for them to be concerned about comics that perpetuate racist stereotypes by committing an act that would embody the very worst stereotype that Muslims are vilified for.

I agree, I was exaggerating to make a kind of blunt point. I just think it's important to remember that people aren't just upset over losing a shitty cartoon, they're upset that some people think it's ok to kill others in order to censor them. Which leads them to say a lot of the stupid things that you're commenting on. At least that's my interpretation of the events. 

So I was going to stay out of this thread because it seemed like it was going to be about free speech generally, but it looks like it's mostly about Charlie Hebdo, so:

obviously murder is an inappropriate response to anything, but given that mosques are straight up being attacked in France right now for no reason, there's a part of me that wonders exactly what it takes to get a society to stop punching down. Like, it bothers me that one of the big reasons why the burka is worn by Muslim women is because during the 20th century there was a real push for Muslims to assert their Muslim identity in response to Arabia's marginalisation in the aftermath of World War 1. I can't fault the reasoning, and saying 'hey your culture's standard of modesty seems unfair' only contributes to that marginalisation.

I also find it interesting that a country that has Fraternity as one of its guiding principles didn't manage to think of a #IllRideWithYou kind of thing, although I recognise the circumstances were completely different and Sydney has time to adjust to the idea of a lone nutjob before anyone died.

It's a tad unfair. One of the frequent messages in the media and in the marches was "Let's not blame it on the muslims, love all religions", and the government has had a very decent reaction on that topic, reasserting that Muslims were the most frequent victims of extremism and setting up security near the mosques. The situation isn't perfect, far from it, but the attacks were likely done by far-right assholes who were waiting for an excuse.

And it's another debate entirely, but if I am perfectly fine with the hijab, i find defending the burka to be a lot harder.

saying 'hey your culture's standard of modesty seems unfair' only contributes to that marginalisation.

I strongly disagree with the 'only' part here. While that's a shitty side-effect of saying such a thing, burkas are also a shitty thing when forced on women (as they are).

That might not be a particular can of worms to open all over this thread though.