Jake

Idle Thumbs 192: The New Blindfolded Fool

Chris's rant about the history channel, and Nick and Jake's reaction to it was hysterical. 

I couldn't stop lolling irl in the pasta aisle at the grocery store. 

So would a Dishonored GOAT be the game of all time from a previous incarnation of our universe?

Edit: didn't realize that wouldn't show up as a link but as an actual video, so I'll note in case its not obvious that Chris Remo recorded that a long while back.

Most talked about game has gamer grub taking up #20, with 56 minutes. There's a small error with this youtube:

1:0726 — Gamer Grub - Sample Fatality's Drink 

There was no 1 hour discussion of pasta sauces for gamers.

Oh my god, Acrophobia. I played a bunch of that back in the day. The big problem wasn't stuff like 'ass dick butt' but 'aa dd bb' that someone else would agree to vote on, thus harvesting the sweet sweet 'fastest answer that received a vote', which is otherwise a great mechanic.

They introduced another one before Sierra bought Berkerley and shut down Bezerk, where you had to try and anticipate the consensus opinion to try and climb a ziggurat. Forget the name of it though.

I believe that was Get the Picture. It wasn't nearly as good.

I believe that was Get the Picture. It wasn't nearly as good.

It's definitely not; looking up Get the Picture on YouTube, it's much closer to Acrophobia in style. I think it might have been called "What's the Big Idea", but I can't find any screenshots or footage to prove it because that is not a good name.

Also, interestingly, the original heads of Berkeley Systems went on to found MoveOn.org.

It's definitely not; looking up Get the Picture on YouTube, it's much closer to Acrophobia in style. I think it might have been called "What's the Big Idea", but I can't find any screenshots or footage to prove it because that is not a good name.

Also, interestingly, the original heads of Berkeley Systems went on to found MoveOn.org.

Ohh right, it was What's the Big Idea, then got renamed to Cosmic Consensus.

Not sure if this was done elsewhere, but according to the new metrics, the Idle Thumbs 2014 GOTY are:

10. Desert Golfing

9. Super Smash Bros. for Ninendo 3DS

8. 80 Days

7. Luftrausers

6. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

5. The Banner Sage

4. Alien: Isolation

3. Destiny

2. DayZ

1. Star Citizen

Taken from the ThumbsDB

As a Dartmouth researcher in black hole astronomy, I may have to be the nerd corrections officer and say that the scientist who strapped the PS3s together for black hole research is Dr. Gaurav Khanna, a computational astrophysicist at UMass Dartmouth, which is a way different place from Dartmouth, a state over. 

You can read more about the project here. As part of his research, he's modeling gravitational waves that come from recoiling, merging supermassive black holes, which is like, the end state of a project I've been looking at which explores galaxy mergers with active and non-active central supermassive black holes. 

MOST IMPORTANTLY, check out the pictures of the linked PS3s from their early system:

2ewMGws.jpg e3R9VQw.jpg  Bs75QNM.jpg

but of course, now it's grown beyond that:

sI5Q0y4.jpg

I did a simple scan through the papers he links from his research group, and I'm sad that I didn't see the words "PS3" or "Playstation 3" anywhere

Those photos are strangely terrifying.

The one with all the red lights staring back at me convinces me the robot apocalypse is closer than I thought.

The one with all the red lights staring back at me convinces me the robot apocalypse is closer than I thought.

It's like the lovechild of Aperture Science sentry turrets and Droid commercials circa 2010

This episode was absolutely hilarious. I hadn't heard of Outer Wilds before, I think, so now I'm excited for that to get finished whenever it's finished. And, just to add to the chorus, ThumbsDB is amazing.

I just realised ThumbsDB was made by one of the Path of Exile devs at GGG. That's pretty cool.