Jake

Idle Thumbs 192: The New Blindfolded Fool

Fibbage is a hilarious looking game that I would be absolutely terrible at.  I'm the kind of person who would try to take it seriously and answer the questions while providing completely boring fake answers.  It seems like there would be this weird balance between trying to be entertaining by coming up with goofy answers and trying to win by coming up with plausible things and I would fail at both.

Generally speaking, the trivia questions in Fibbage are so goofy, that if you want to successfully trick your opponents into picking your answer, you end up putting in goofy things, because the real answer is often gooofier than the lies.

Generally speaking, the trivia questions in Fibbage are so goofy, that if you want to successfully trick your opponents into picking your answer, you end up putting in goofy things, because the real answer is often gooofier than the lies.

I've seen a couple Let's Plays of it and I actually knew the correct answer to a significant number of the questions so none of them really seemed that goofy.  It was very apparent to me what the fake answers were, but that also depends so much on who's playing it.  I might be able to pick the right answer a lot, but I doubt I'd fool anyone with my own answers.  Plus I feel that getting the "correct" answer isn't really the point of the game.

Oh man, Chris, did the History Channel promo reel include the Ancient Aliens guy? I can't believe there's seven goddamn seasons of that shit.

GaflxNE.jpg

My last job had a TV in the breakroom that was almost always set to Discovery. It was my first time watching TV in something like seven or eight years, so it was really surreal seeing that Discovery is now apparently nothing but "check out this unusually shitty blue collar job" shows and shows where people buy and sell garbage.

I changed my internet plan a few months back and as part of getting the cheapest possible deal I had to take satellite TV service too. It was pretty hilarious to see that the History Channel now apparently has a spinoff channel called H2, which I imagine is the MTV-MTV2 relationship where a second channel had to be made to fulfill the original programming goals after the first channel got sidetracked into filling its schedule with unrelated crap.

Even Shark Week sucks now. :(

Survivorman is still cool, but my god everything on History, Discovery, and Science is garbage now. Anyone remember that TLC stands for "The Learning Channel"? That's the worst of them all.

Oh man, Chris, did the History Channel promo reel include the Ancient Aliens guy? I can't believe there's seven goddamn seasons of that shit.

I love Ancient Aliens! Everything about the show is so ridiculous and stupid.

(Best viewed while drunk or very tired. Has lots of drinking game opportunities.)

It would be interesting (and possibly depressing) to know which percentage of viewers actually believe in any of the shit the experts spew out in that show.

I've seen a couple Let's Plays of it and I actually knew the correct answer to a significant number of the questions so none of them really seemed that goofy.  It was very apparent to me what the fake answers were, but that also depends so much on who's playing it.  I might be able to pick the right answer a lot, but I doubt I'd fool anyone with my own answers.  Plus I feel that getting the "correct" answer isn't really the point of the game.

I actually prefer Drawful to Fibbage, because there's a ltitle too much focus on getting the right answer in Fibbage. With Drawful, the answers relate directly to the drawings so just seeing something you saw pop-up as a choice isn't as much of a giveaway. Also, if you guess the right answer in drawful, you give the same amount of points to the artist, which encourages you to have a good bluff answer to actually have a net gain over them. It does a great job of encouraging good drawing skill and bluffing, while focusing on user-generated content. Also, the way some of the drawing clues work, I wonder if there's some amount of pairing up ideas list to make unique suggestions. Generally they seem to require less effort to craft, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are more Drawful clues than Fibbage triva questions.

Yay, my reader mail got read and spawned exactly the weird tangent I was secretly hoping it would. I can confirm it took place in the mid 90s, and my memory of it is definitely sitcom-like.

Wait how is it Year of the Fireflower and not year of the Princess Peach

Wait until they reveal the Georgia O'Keeffe fireflower redesign.

Wait until they reveal the Georgia O'Keeffe fireflower redesign.

Whoever paints that is guaranteed to show up on Boing Boing.  Instant fame!

It was also Dishonored Game of the Year 2011.

Wait, wouldn't it be Dishonored GOTY 2013? I thought Dishonored things happen before regular (honored?) things.

Wait, wouldn't it be Dishonored GOTY 2013? I thought Dishonored things happen before regular (honored?) things.

No he's got it right. Dishonored was Volume GOTY (VGOTY) for 2012 which makes it Dishonored GOTY 2011, one year earlier.

Star Citizen is Dishonored GOTY 2013. Also this joke has gone far beyond its natural conclusion, I think.

So would a Dishonored GOAT be the game of all time from a previous incarnation of our universe?

I believe that you have 27 minutes of Far Cry 2 talk left in you, it can be the True GOTY yet!

also, Far Cry 2 Mega Blast sounds like a sweet game.

Wow, those Star Citizen figures are horrifying. I would love to know how the studio reacted internally to them. Speaking personally, I'd be demotivated to the point of being unsure I wanted to work on the game any more. That is totally a personal reaction, I'm sure to some people this wouldn't affect their feelings about it at all but there must be some people who took the results badly and are trying to process it.

What Chris on the podcast and everyone else seems to be forgetting is that genuinely wealthy people often don't have incomes.  I would hope that at least some of the people spending ridiculous amounts of money on Star Citizen are just people who have ridiculous amounts of money.

I find it hard to imagine that even a plurality of the people in the survey reporting very low amounts are wealthy beyond needing an income, forget the majority. The amount of people who donated $1k+ by income bracket is a pretty reliably increasing percentage in a way that suggests that "income" is essentially synonymous with "wealth".

The survey results are here, by the way. I still don't know what Star Citizen is, but apparently people want it to be Star Wars, Firefly and Mass Effect rolled together.

https://www.instant.ly/report/54a985dde4b0cea5d72c8c2a

Only Dishonored Halloween takes place a week earlier than our earth Halloween. Other dishonored holidays are up for grabs I think.

Oh my god, Acrophobia. I played a bunch of that back in the day. The big problem wasn't stuff like 'ass dick butt' but 'aa dd bb' that someone else would agree to vote on, thus harvesting the sweet sweet 'fastest answer that received a vote', which is otherwise a great mechanic.

They introduced another one before Sierra bought Berkerley and shut down Bezerk, where you had to try and anticipate the consensus opinion to try and climb a ziggurat. Forget the name of it though.