Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Criminey, It's Christmas (2015-)!

So I need Christmas advice:

Do Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nightmare Before Christmas hold up? They're featuring in a movie marathon I'm planning on running, but I have four other films I also want to show and I only have room for three.

(Third one's Brazil.)

Could any christmas eve beat the one where i was idly surfing channels and tuned in to the hogswatch adaptation as soon as it was starting on public television when i had no idea it even existed AND it wasnt terrible?

I have not visited these forums in half a year and only returned to post the traditional SantaSM clip, but Ben beat me to the punch by months. Why do I even bother returning?!

(I'm sorry I've been absent. Life's been nuts, I moved, I birthed another book or something, I quit my job to do the writing thing fulltime, I'm quite happy with my life, December is frightening as always, and stuff's fine. Once you don't visit a place for a while, you start to grow apart, but I'd like to drop by here again more often. It was heartwarming and comforting that the first topics that greeted me were Movies and Christmas, just like they have for years.)

Thanks! Up this week: back to school to do research in one of Holland's universities where they teach Japanese!

(And yes I'll be sure to clean out christmas once I'm done)

Now I see why you didn't respond to my request for feedback about my Christmas movie marathon.

Finally, an entire article based on the popular internet phenomenon, "My favourite Christmas movie? Why, it is THIS MOVIE THAT DOESN'T REALLY DEAL WITH CHRISTMAS BUT IS SET AT THAT TIME OF YEAR AND SO TECHNICALLY COUNTS":

http://www.avclub.com/article/have-lethal-gremlins-french-connection-christmas-2-228523

I disagree with the premise that many of those aren't somehow Christmas movies.  What, is there some canonical list of things a movie has to have to be a "real" Christmas movie?  Like Santa or some shit?

Many of the movies on that list feature family, particularly familial loss or drama, at the center of the stories.  And I'm not sure there is something more Christmasy than family, and all the love, pain and drama that comes with it. 

Movies set in July but don't specifically deal with heat and bugs aren't somehow not "summer" movies.

Is "It's a Wonderful Life" a Christmas movie?

Home Alone and Elf will be the only Christmas movies I watch for the rest of my life (and maybe some Ernest Saves Christmas every now and again). As much as I like this time of year with the holidays and whatnot, I really really don't like most of the Christmas media out there. Especially Christmas music. 4 1/2 years working at Applebee's drained 4 1/2 lifetimes of my patience for shitty Christmas music. Unless it's the N'Sync Christmas album.