Erkki

Help me remember that movie/book/thing

Although I am pretty sure it has existed at some point, I couldn't find a thread for getting help with remembering a movie you saw years ago and remember some vague details, but can't find it. I'll start...

What was the movie (80s I think, or maybe 70s) where in the beginning a dude wakes up and shoots a fly on his wall (with an air gun?). He gets into fights with some gang and I think they kidnap his girlfriend. He also rides a bicycle at some point, breaks a car antenna from a car and uses that as a weapon. I don't remember the actor, but I think he was blonde and had curly hair. I don't even remember if it was a good movie or not, just that it left some kind of a vague lasting impression when I saw it as a kid.

Didn't Paul Hogan rip one of those boomerang antennas off of a limo in Crocodile Dundee and throw it at someone? I think I remember him fighting some gangs and maybe having his "girlfriend" kidnapped at some point too. Although I don't remember him riding a bicycle or shooting a fly on his wall.

No, it was definitely not Crocodile Dundee. The characters were all in high school or in their 20s. Also, no Terence Hill I think.

What was the movie (80s I think, or maybe 70s) where in the beginning a dude wakes up ...

post-8337-0-84281800-1420583262_thumb.png

He gets into fights with some gang

post-8337-0-58230100-1420583274_thumb.png

He also rides a bicycle at some point,

post-8337-0-59691700-1420583286_thumb.png

Haha, I have no idea what that is, but no :) It wasn't a comedy, I remember it being rather dark. For a moment I thought it was Quicksilver, but no.

Found it! It was Tuff Turf. Probably not that great, judging by the Rotten Tomatoes rating of 20%.

Found it! It was Tuff Turf. Probably not that great, judging by the Rotten Tomatoes rating of 20%.

Ooh, James Spader!  Tuff Turf is on my to-watch list because I like Spader being sleazy.

Just watched Tuff Turf. It was a bit different than I remembered, but the elements I mentioned were there, if slightly different (he shot a cockroach or some such, not a fly; someone else used the car antenna while he was on the bike etc.). On the whole it wasn't totally bad, just an average 80s movie. Wouldn't really recommend.

We should have a general thread for helping remember things we don't the names to. I have been spending all day searching for one particular children's book I read with fairly vintage looking illustrations of the water cycle, it had a very sassy raindrop. 

We should have a general thread for helping remember things we don't the names to.

Indeed. Let me change the title.

Do we have a thread like this specifically for games already? Because I want to remember the name of the platformer I used to play on a shitty IBM-PC back in the late 80s/early 90s where iirc you control a little pink square with a face navigating single screen levels with all the platforms made up of similar small squares on plain backgrounds, only a step up from ASCII graphics. It was kind of a Super MeatBoy predecessor and I think it was called Jumping Jason or something like that.

Do we have a thread like this specifically for games already? Because I want to remember the name of the platformer I used to play on a shitty IBM-PC back in the late 80s/early 90s where iirc you control a little pink square with a face navigating single screen levels with all the platforms made up of similar small squares on plain backgrounds, only a step up from ASCII graphics. It was kind of a Super MeatBoy predecessor and I think it was called Jumping Jason or something like that.

That would be this thread

Dear Thumbstars, 

Please Help me remember : 

Cartoon, mid 80s, space opera, it was French or Belgian maybe. It was a sci-fi adaption of the Odyssey (i think....) and the main character had a laser pistol that was also a lightsaber, two in one! 

and the hardest. Been looking for this for a while. 

A song, around mid 90s, woman singing but with a deep-ish voice, singing about a guitar and a boy who played it, think it was about 4-5 mins long, melodic pop or singer/songwriter stuff. Heard it on NRG in Stockholm in the mid 90s if that helps. 

Hi. I know this isn't the right thread for what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find the proper one...seems to be lost somewhere among the sea of Idle banter threads. But since this thread is also about a "thing" that I can't remember, I'm going to try here.

Anyway, there was an episode of the Thumbs podcast a few years back, in which Chris was talking about something and then interrupted himself by saying "Oh, there's a pizza here". Then Jake says "We'll be right back after this pizza".

Does anyone remember which episode that was from? Please, help!

That thread's in the Episodes board, isn't it? What you should have done was asked in the Do We Have This Thread thread whether we had that thread and then once you were directed to that Help Me Remember Which Episode thread posted in that thread asking for help remembering an episode.