clyde

Endless Legend

I could have sworn there was already a thread for this game, but I can't find it and it's worth discussion!

I'm currently 93 turns into my first playthrough as The Wind Walkers and I'm starting to get a grasp of how the regions and minor factions work and what that means (in the early game atleast). It's funny because most of the mentions I've seen of Endless Legends have been something to the extent of "They made some interesting decisions on how to diverge from Civilization 5" and that's exactly how I would describe it in summary even though I felt that told me so little. 

I think the quests, authored lore, and minor faction mechanics give the Civ formula an interesting representation of the benefits of cultural diversity. That's probably what I'm most excited about. I'm treating the diversity of minor factions as a valuable resource as I'm choosing what regions to settle; that is interesting to me. I can't say too much about the major factions because I just met my first non-Drakken major faction a few turns ago, but it was the Necrophages and as I read through their bonuses and the associated lore my excitement of discovering a culture so different than my own was genuinely exciting and surprising. I'm starting to see how an independence from world-history can allow for enough flexibility to present cultural exoticism in an positive way. The Drakken culture accused me of "mirth". My bonuses and consumable resources just happened to be best used for creating a large population quickly and then turning it to production and science! I didn't decide to not have a military, it just hasn't made sense to have one mechanically. I'm enjoying this game. It's a great comparison study to Civ 5. We will see how I do once borders are established. 

I bought this on the last day of the Steam sale, but haven't fired it up yet. I'm excited.

It's pretty special. I'm in my first game and thrilled so far, although it does seem a bit slow in forming conflict, although at least it came eventually.

I recommended it to a friend during the steam sale and he's already clocked up 60+ hours, i'm quite enjoying just stomping a few AI atm but perhaps a few weeks down the line maybe we could try and get some small scale reader multiplayer games sorted.

I'm having trouble understanding some aspects of the combat-system.

-I select the option for when I won't have control over my units, but I don't understand when that will happen.

-After the initial set-up, do I have the capability to tell my units where to move? If they move to a tile adjacent to an enemy, will they attack?

Thus far I've just been selecting "Hold Your Position" and choosing targets. I'm not sure when a unit will have to move in order to attack.

I'm having trouble understanding some aspects of the combat-system.

-I select the option for when I won't have control over my units, but I don't understand when that will happen.

-After the initial set-up, do I have the capability to tell my units where to move? If they move to a tile adjacent to an enemy, will they attack?

Thus far I've just been selecting "Hold Your Position" and choosing targets. I'm not sure when a unit will have to move in order to attack.

The best way you can think about it is that you can select a movement target for them, and they will try to move to that target (depending on if their path is now blocked etc)

If they end up next to a opposing unit they will attack (depending on their orders).

You can also set a attack target instead of a movement target, in which case they will try and move to a spot where they can attack that target. Healing units can also have a healing target set. In these cases if they cant reach their target wheter they go for a target of opportunity or just stand around depends on their orders.

Choosing the move option is mostly beneficial when the order your unit will attack could end up with one unit blocking another, or when there is a specific attack type who's effect you want to minimize (like the chain lightning).

My big tip for the combat is that the "counter attack" moves of you opponents can be very nasty, taking into account how to minimise the effects of these feels like a big part of winning.

I'm about 150 turns into my first game and I just realized that I don't know how to win. I feel that I've done a pretty good job of getting my population up; I am now starting to question whether or not further expansions of borroughs in my capital city are still beneficial. I've settled five regions if varying interest. My northern tip is an ice-land that has a hard time growing food. One of the most fun decisions I've made was hiring a Necrophage mercenary to govern my ice-land city of forest-people beause he/she/it could teach them to use rotting substances to fertilize the farms and get a higher yield.

Anyway, no one wants to be my friend and now that I've established my civilization, I'm not sure where to focus my productivity. I need to look up whether or not there is a science-victory because I have a ton of science exploitation available to me.

I hope I can figure out how to open up the diplomacy part of this game and that there is something interesting there. After playing some Poker Night at the Inventory I want a similar feel added to the Civilization V diplomacy-system. Also some romance would be nice. Maybe it's time to try Crusader Kings 2 again.

Edit: After looking up the victory-conditions, I think I'll try for the quest one because I'm interested in the lore.

I recommended it to a friend during the steam sale and he's already clocked up 60+ hours, i'm quite enjoying just stomping a few AI atm but perhaps a few weeks down the line maybe we could try and get some small scale reader multiplayer games sorted.

That could be cool!

Guh, now that I'm in war I'm getting fed up with the battles. I constantly feel like the units are making worst possible tactical choices on purpose. It's incredible that I can direct a unit to move somewhere or attack a unit, but not move somewhere and then attack a specific unit.

Guh, now that I'm in war I'm getting fed up with the battles. I constantly feel like the units are making worst possible tactical choices on purpose. It's incredible that I can direct a unit to move somewhere or attack a unit, but not move somewhere and then attack a specific unit.

You can.  You have to hold ctrl I think, or click then drag.

Whaaat.

I know right!?

Last night I was significantly more successful in combat scenarios.

I'm 200 turns into my first game and so far it's not really grabbing me. Maybe I just picked a particularly boring world setup or something.

I'm 200 turns into my first game and so far it's not really grabbing me. Maybe I just picked a particularly boring world setup or something.

What have been some of your objectives as you play?

I'm playing as the Vaulters, so my main mission has been pacify a minor race > build resource extractors > build luxury extractors > build buroughs > find a specific city across the sea. It's only now that I've hopped in a boat that I've even run into another major race, and I'm not sure exactly where they are since it was just two armies passing in the night. I've only lost two fights so far, and have now pacified every minor race except one that I can reach without boats. I'm also at the very southern edge of the map, I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

So, does Endless Space require much actual strategy? That's the main thing that's been putting me off picking it up (that, and I have plenty of other 4xs crying out for attention). The game looks lovely, but some of the comments on 3MA suggested that it provides somewhat of a false challenge? I'm worried it just boils down to pushing pretty unit counters around a colourful map.

I found it extremely challenging the two times I played through it, but it might get predictable as you play more? I don't know really.

So, does Endless Space require much actual strategy? That's the main thing that's been putting me off picking it up (that, and I have plenty of other 4xs crying out for attention). The game looks lovely, but some of the comments on 3MA suggested that it provides somewhat of a false challenge? I'm worried it just boils down to pushing pretty unit counters around a colourful map.

Did you mean Endless Legend?

If so it requires strategy for first half of the game, then the AI just fails to scale past that so you can out perform them consistently past that point.

I'm playing as the Vaulters, so my main mission has been pacify a minor race > build resource extractors > build luxury extractors > build buroughs > find a specific city across the sea. It's only now that I've hopped in a boat that I've even run into another major race, and I'm not sure exactly where they are since it was just two armies passing in the night. I've only lost two fights so far, and have now pacified every minor race except one that I can reach without boats. I'm also at the very southern edge of the map, I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

My first race was the Vaulters and I was really underwhelmed by Endless Legend as long as I focused on learning them. The fact that they came from space is cool, but most of that only comes out in the quest, which invariably stopped dead when the "take a random city on the other side of the map" objective came up.

Play anyone else, I say. Not only are they more complex and different, but they make the Vaulters seem interesting again in contrast. That said, it's relatively easy to outperform the AI in the mid- to late-game, like Gaizokuanou says, and the draw will always be the weird factions and the interesting city-building system, rather than the challenge.

Did you mean Endless Legend?

If so it requires strategy for first half of the game, then the AI just fails to scale past that so you can out perform them consistently past that point.

My first race was the Vaulters and I was really underwhelmed by Endless Legend as long as I focused on learning them. The fact that they came from space is cool, but most of that only comes out in the quest, which invariably stopped dead when the "take a random city on the other side of the map" objective came up.

Play anyone else, I say. Not only are they more complex and different, but they make the Vaulters seem interesting again in contrast. That said, it's relatively easy to outperform the AI in the mid- to late-game, like Gaizokuanou says, and the draw will always be the weird factions and the interesting city-building system, rather than the challenge.

This is why I'm cautiously interested in trying to get some pvp games going, although I worry that it may just be a bit to bloated to make a compelling fight vs another player. Maybe it's best as a relaxing but ultimately unchallenging puzzle.

My experience with these large civ-like games is that everyone decides to leave just as its getting good.

Every 4X has problematic end-game, but Endless Legend suffers far worse than it's peers.

So normal game speed is 300 turns cap.  It's pretty easy to have income of 50k+ dust per turn before 200th turn.  With custom Broken Lords it means you can get a single city's population up to 100+ around that time frame as well.

The way that citizens work, along with districts (you get past 7 districts and happiness penalty is no longer a concern) make for especially tedious late game, even for a 4X genre.

It's pretty much what Gormongous says if you want the big picture, the factions are cool (except for oddity like how Drakken, the diplomatic race, is best suited for early war rushing) and watching your city grow (that first 1 ~ 8 districts is where the game shines) is a pleasure but past that point the game is really wonky.

It is so busy visually. I usually try and play a few turns before bed at night, but the visuals just confuse me (Sleepy time!). I really want to play more though.

Every 4X has problematic end-game, but Endless Legend suffers far worse than it's peers.

So normal game speed is 300 turns cap.  It's pretty easy to have income of 50k+ dust per turn before 200th turn.  With custom Broken Lords it means you can get a single city's population up to 100+ around that time frame as well.

The way that citizens work, along with districts (you get past 7 districts and happiness penalty is no longer a concern) make for especially tedious late game, even for a 4X genre.

It's pretty much what Gormongous says if you want the big picture, the factions are cool (except for oddity like how Drakken, the diplomatic race, is best suited for early war rushing) and watching your city grow (that first 1 ~ 8 districts is where the game shines) is a pleasure but past that point the game is really wonky.

Yeah, my problem has basically been that there's been no reason to try and optimize systems to get up to 50k dust per turn. I've been putting along fairly slowly and nothing has happened to me at all.