your name here

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015

Awesome Games Done Quick is an annual weeklong speedrun marathon running from january 4th to january 10th 2015. Last year, we raised just over a million dollars for the prevent cancer foundation.

When it starts, you'll be able to watch here:

https://gamesdonequick.com/

Games:

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Prizes:

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/prizes/12

Bid Wars:

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/bids/12

I know that the IT crew missed most of this last time around, so hopefully this topic gets it on their radar sooner rather than later.

I love the Games Done Quick marathons.  I always end up spending a lot of time after the runs are over catching up on all the ones I missed.  Hopefully I'll be able to catch some of it this year.  I especially hope to catch at least one thing run by PJ.  He's easily my favorite runner because his runs are always entertaining.  His

is probably my favorite speedrun ever.

It shouldn't be all VOD's. Twitch instituted a policy of muting audio when it might result in copyright takedowns, so any licensed music is the most likely to result in that. It doesn't affect live broadcasts, and it looks like people are taking it upon themselves to record full non-muted archives from the live stream to put up on YouTube, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I'm looking forward to the TASbot stuff later this evening. That stuff was neat when they did it last year.

So glad I got that second monitor now.

Humble Bundle has an AGDQ package going on which includes a month of Twitch Turbo (I don't know how useful this actually is but hey), and also the game Speedrunners at the $6 bracket which is fucking fantastic.

Shovel Knight beaten in 47 minutes is pretty insane.

It was like a magnitude less insane than the Tetris stuff. TAS block and Tetris are probably highlights so far. Also recommend Battleblock Theater run.

Shovel Knight was really cool though, and the devs were impressed. :3

Every time they say "get hype" my will to keep watching diminishes a little. >_>

But seriously some amazing runs going on. That Tetris block was insanity.

The Tetris Grandmaster block just finished and it was amazing. Those games are crazy.

And then they said they themselves were blown away when they saw Japanese players play.

Every time they say "get hype" my will to keep watching diminishes a little. >_>

The "hype" thing gets on my nerves too but I'm more willing to ignore it for this.

Tetris was pretty great, but I've seen videos of some of the Japanese players they were talking about so I was less blown away than I normally would have been.

I'm not really a huge fan of Shovel Knight but I will admit that watching the speedrun made me want to play it again.  Anytime they get the devs in to watch the runs its pretty great.  I love hearing how they react to people destroying their games in both intended and unintended ways.  The Battleblock Theatre run also had the devs on it and was stupidly entertaining throughout.

This event is sadly marred by a noticable lack of The Great Game, though it did have Isaac, which was nice, and also featured the first lady speedrunner I saw.

Things speedrunners say, apparently: "pixel-perfect," "frame-perfect," "niiiiiiice!," and "so optimal!"

This event is sadly marred by a noticable lack of The Great Game, though it did have Isaac, which was nice, and also featured the first lady speedrunner I saw.

Things speedrunners say, apparently: "pixel-perfect," "frame-perfect," "niiiiiiice!," and "so optimal!"

Female runners are something of a rarity unfortunately.  I remember watching the Octodad race from SGDQ 2014 and the Twitch chat was full of unreadable garbage because one of the two runners was a lady.

Pixel-perfect and frame-perfect are common speedrunning terms.  Pixel-perfect means that there's exactly one pixel that the desired effect can be achieved on (like standing on a specific pixel of a spike block without dying).  Frame-perfect means that there's exactly one frame in an animation to pull off the trick.  Since many games run at 30-60 frames per second, you're talking about fractions of a second timing.  These things are usually found with help from the TAS (tool assisted speedrun) community because they can slow down the game and advance frame by frame to discover which frame or pixel is needed, or even if it exists at all.

Hmm I hated "get hype" at first but it's sort of grown on me over the years. It's just a silly thing. Whatever.

They just ran the Yoshi's Island Any% Race, which was actually pretty competitive throughout. If you've never watched any Yoshi's Island speedrunning, it's insanely technical, and only partially reliant on glitches. Mostly you just have to be pretty great at the game. Yoshi's Island runs at 60 FPS, and so when a technique requires an exact frame to execute it, that means the user has to press during that 1/60th of a second window. Last year's 100% run at AGDQ 2014 was my favorite part of the whole event. This is pretty fun stuff! 

This reminds me why I don't like streams - there's a solid ten minutes there of nothing much happening, with thirty seconds of people giving history on the game. It's like watching cricket except cricket has competent commentators.

This reminds me why I don't like streams - there's a solid ten minutes there of nothing much happening, with thirty seconds of people giving history on the game. It's like watching cricket except cricket has competent commentators.

In the case of something like AGDQ, that empty ten minutes at the beginning is for turnover/setup. This thing's going 24 hours a day, all week long. They can't have everything sitting around and ready to go at a moment's notice. It's just a bit of laziness on the uploader's part for not trimming it out.

This guy is clipping geometry to speed up large swaths of this game. I can't even imagine how one discovers this.

I was initially interested in watching all the little tricks and exploits being used in the Arkham City run, but had to stop watching because the commentary was awful.

This guy is clipping geometry to speed up large swaths of this game. I can't even imagine how one discovers this.

I prefer it when the people who are playing aren't dicks. If you're interested in crazy skip stuff in a similar game, I recommend the Dishonored runs from AGDQ/SGDQ, or the Half-Life 2 runs. Holy smokes the skips.