Architecture

Actually, It's about Relocation in Games Journalism

With the shit UK Kotaku I just go to the footer and choose Kotaku International/US. Somehow doing it that way makes it not shoot off to the US site.

I'm pretty disappointed Patrick left Giant Bomb for Kotaku. I've never been interested in the content that site produces, and Kinja websites are hideous. I think the change makes sense for him, both in terms of his goals and his focus. I also have to imagine, even though it was a personal decision that I deeply understand and respect, that working for a personality-driven website where you're 1500 miles from any of the other personalities has to be a tough row to hoe. I don't have any interest in horror games, so something like continuing to do Spookin' with Scoops isn't anything that will draw me back in. He basically has to write the best eye-grabbing articles ever, and I have to be able to get to them without having to wade through the rest of the garbage that is the Kotaku website.

So, I guess goodbye Patrick. It was nice to get to know you.

Patrick posted on his tumblr that he'd continue Worth Reading over at Kotaku (reason enough to check in on him), and that he'd keep streaming horror games directly to twitch. So, assuming he has a partner account, I guess you'd just catch up with VODs... if they don't all get muted.

Boy has only written a 'Hello' article and ya'll already left him in the shade.

Kotaku does have a terrible user experience though.

Boy has only written a 'Hello' article and ya'll already left him in the shade.

Kotaku is like the sediment at the end of your coffee.

Kotaku is like the sediment at the end of your coffee.

I really feel this is going too far. Even as I find their user experience to be terrible, and the overall design to be not only nonsensical but in conflict with their values as a site, I still have to recognize that there is quite a lot they've done in the past year or two that are easily worth a damn.

Not to mention, they were practically the only site to recognize just how amazing the last Fire Emblem game was. Everyone else seemed to say "Oh yeah it's good" and just pass it off, when honestly it's one of the best games of the last 5 years or better. They understand how to provide scope through multiple articles than most sites do.

Can this be a general industry hiring/firing/moving topic? If not, I'll dig up that Business Thread and cut/paste this over.

If so, Nina Freeman has been hired by Fullbright to work on Tacoma.

The guys that run Kinda Funny - Greg Miller, Colin Moriarty, Nick Scarpino, and Tim Gettys - have all quit their jobs at IGN to work full time on Kinda Funny which will now include games coverage now that they're decoupled from their day jobs.

Max Scoville, previously of Rev3Games and Destructoid, has filled one of those vacated positions at IGN. Seems natural given that Brian Altano is now IGN's most prominent personality and they already work together on The Comedy Button.

Hmm, who is Nina Freeman?

Edit: My only context for Kinda Funny is that Greg Miller took his shirt off on the Giant Bomb E3 stream. I am still somewhat intrigued.

She's an independent game developer who participates in a lot of game jams. She also co-founded Code Liberation, a group that holds free game dev classes for women in NYC. She had a good interview about it at RPS, if memory serves.

Edit: My only context for Kinda Funny is that Greg Miller took his shirt off on the Giant Bomb E3 stream. I am still somewhat intrigued.

Developer of How Do You Do It?, a game about mashing naked dolls into each other that tells you how many sexes you maybe did, if that's any help.

She sounds perfect for Fullbright

R3poY3V.gif

also, who do I talk to to get that fedora smiley added to the official list? 

Can this be a general industry hiring/firing/moving topic? If not, I'll dig up that Business Thread and cut/paste this over.

Sure, why not?

^ Was about to link that as I just read it yesterday (or should I say; got around to it in my tab backlog). Weird.

I'm pretty interested in the game she talks about in that article. Wonder how joining Fullbright will affect that.

And now you've actively posted in a thread with a title like that!

To add content, I'm actually pretty bummed about Klepek moving to Kotaku. I really don't care for the Gawker house style of "post whatever" and even though it might be a better fit for someone into games and feminism than the dudefest that Giant Bomb seems to be, I can't help but feel like it's a pretty big step down in pretty much every way. 

My main problem with kotaku is it doesn't let you just rss things you care about. (there used to be a way to do that before they switched over to kinja).

You can rss Patrick's stuff now, but it also gives you his comments in a contextless mish mash.

Stuff like that is one of my main uses for Twitter.  I follow Kotaku on there as well as some of the individual writers I care to read.  I never actually just browse the site.  Although I do agree with the other comments about the terrible layout.  Granted, tweets are what clickbait headlines were made for so you have to watch out for those.  I mostly do the same with other sites like Polygon because I just don't have the time or energy to simply keep checking the site for new content.