Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 12: Laura's Secret Diary

In the beginning of this episode, the voice isn't saying "Laura, Laura." According to the subtitles, it's saying "Daddy, Daddy."

(This is about Laura's killer)

In the beginning of this episode, the voice isn't saying "Laura, Laura." According to the subtitles, it's saying "Daddy, Daddy."

Ah, you're totally correct! I was so sure it was saying "Laura." Still, it's clearly the myna bird's voice that's saying the name, which makes it even more damning that the bird is saying "Daddy" because it puts Leland at the scene of the murder.

(This is about Laura's killer)

Ah, you're totally correct! I was so sure it was saying "Laura." Still, it's clearly the myna bird's voice that's saying the name, which makes it even more damning that the bird is saying "Daddy" because it puts Leland at the scene of the murder.

But you don't even get the payoff on Leland being around the bird until FWWM, iirc? There's so many gaps in the timeline, even when you find out Leland is the murderer, that don't get filled until the movie.

One interesting thing that no one has mentioned, is that Jose, when talking to Jonathan, completely drops her accent. It is obvious now the level of duplicity that she is capable of. It also makes you wonder what she was doing getting English lessons from Laura. Also, Truman is so oblivious. He seams totally incapable of seeing past his own obsession of Jose, which i would add seems to be based entirely on how pretty she is.

If you read Laura's Secret Diary, insinuations are made. I don't recall many specifics though I do remember her saying Jose was pretty dark and disturbed, and coming from Laura that has to mean something. 

Also after hearing the episode I wish I still had my season 1 set, I lent it to my wife's friend a few years ago, I wasn't worried about it since I have the gold box set. But now I would like to hear those commentaries from the directors. I've been looking around for some transcripts online but no luck yet. You can buy the set for 10-20 bucks on ebay, but ive only seen foreign editions when i looked, and there can be compatibility issues with american DVD players, i am no expert. 

I did come across some scripts for a few episodes in season one, I haven't had a chance to read them yet, but ill put links here if you are interested.

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Twin_Peaks/Season_One/Twin_Peaks_1x01_-_Traces_to_Nowhere.pdf

http://twinpeaksarchive.blogspot.com/2011/12/rare-2nd-draft-script-to-twin-peaks-006_23.html

Also, Truman is so oblivious. He seams totally incapable of seeing past his own obsession of Jose, which i would add seems to be based entirely on how pretty she is.

I'd say he sees himself as her protector too. Poor innocent Josie (not Jose, her evil Mexican rival :P) constantly under attack with no one to defend her against the evils of the world.

One interesting thing that no one has mentioned, is that Jose, when talking to Jonathan, completely drops her accent. It is obvious now the level of duplicity that she is capable of. It also makes you wonder what she was doing getting English lessons from Laura. Also, Truman is so oblivious. He seams totally incapable of seeing past his own obsession of Jose, which i would add seems to be based entirely on how pretty she is.

If you read Laura's Secret Diary, insinuations are made. I don't recall many specifics though I do remember her saying Jose was pretty dark and disturbed, and coming from Laura that has to mean something. 

RE: Josie

Wasn't it mentioned in the secret diary too that her and Laura had sex or is that what you're insinuating about insinuations? Hah. Who in this town ISN'T interested in having sex with minors, jesus christ

Random aside: the Videology bar in Brooklyn is doing Twin Peaks Bingo tonight!

twinpeaksbingo750.jpg

I am going to try to make it to this.  Is anyone around/local?  I have no idea what episode they're doing.

Hey, thanks for being kind and titling the spoiler boxes for idiots like me!! It's genuinely appreciated. :)

Apparently, Todd Holland was the one who came up with the opening imagery and even

some of the things said on the soundtrack during the trip through the ceiling hole. I remember hearing that Lynch/Frost even had to take out some audio clips because they got "too close," apparently unintentionally! Sort of like Leland sitting on the couch looking creepy in episode 5/6.

The good news - for anyone who has access to the blu-ray anyway - is that the Holland interview is actually on the Entire Mystery set, as it was originally presented as a short video on the original season two collection. The audio commentary tracks were season one only (incidentally, I don't know why they couldn't just be presented as audio tracks on the blu-ray; that's actually how I listened to them and I didn't miss anything by not hearing them over the episodes themselves).

As far as the writing on this episode goes, there's a reason so many people receive credit.

From Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks, by Brad Dukes:

"HARLEY PEYTON: I remember Jerry Stahl for all the obvious reasons that are probably in his memoir [Permanent Midnight] (which I haven't read, so I don't know his point of view). He was this weird, smart, sort of hipster guy who had worked on Alf which we all thought was sort of weird and we thought the perfect sort of person to write an episode of Twin Peaks.

MARK FROST: I only hired him because my agent (I think it was Tony Krantz) pleaded with me to give this guy a job. From beginning to end it was an absolute car wreck. He was a mess, in the throes of addiction at the time and I discovered later he was shooting up in our restroom in the middle of meetings. He would take a bathroom break and go get high. He turned in a completely incomprehensible, unusable, incomplete script a few days late and as I recall there were blood stains on it.

HARLEY PEYTON: He would be late, we would get mysterious phone calls, and then we couldn't find him. It was the only time in the history of the show where Mark Frost said, 'No, we're taking credit on this.' What was handed in was essentially so worthless that we sort of had to start from scratch.

MARK FROST: Later, in his memoir he slammed me for mistreating him. I got as angry as I've ever been in my professional life when I read what this clown had to say about how he'd been mistreated while he was taking money for work he didn't honor and doing heroin in our bathroom."

Jerry Stahl later stated (via Twitter when this passage came under discussion): "He's being too kind - he didn't mention the hair & brain matter. A little late, but all apologies, Mr. Frost"

Wasn't it mentioned in the secret diary too that her and Laura had sex or is that what you're insinuating about insinuations? Hah. Who in this town ISN'T interested in having sex with minors, jesus christ

Hmm, I wonder if there should be an episode on just the diary. I have no clue how extensive or canon it is though.

I am pretty sure that they were having sex, but i haven't read in over 20 years so i didn't want to get to specific, since I couldn't precisely remember what was said. I grew up i a smallish town in middle america and the sex with minors thing is unfortunately  about on par with reality.

I am pretty sure that they were having sex, but i haven't read in over 20 years so i didn't want to get to specific, since I couldn't precisely remember what was said. I grew up i a smallish town in middle america and the sex with minors thing is unfortunately  about on par with reality.

The Diary does confirm this. I generally think of both Laura's diary & the Cooper book as "canon" except where explicitly contradicted by the show/film. In the Cooper book's case, this arises most notably

with the Teresa Banks investigation. The book has Cooper on the case, whereas the film replaces him with Chet Desmond. That was a practical decision, since initially Kyle MacLachlan declined to be involved with Fire Walk With Me and they hired Chris Isaak before MacLachlan came back onboard. One theory holds that the entire Deer Meadow sequence of FWWM is Cooper's dream, in which he retraces his steps through a surrogate character.

Anyway, aside from all the intricate narrative connections, I would recommend the diary to anyone interested in pursuing the world of Twin Peaks offscreen. It offers a lot of insight into Laura Palmer as a character, beyond what everybody in town projects onto her, and provides a pretty good foundation for stuff that will come later. The book was written by Lynch's daughter, Jennifer, and is pretty much in tune with his sensibility (interestingly, the Cooper book was written by Frost's brother Scott). Not a big spoiler at all but

Sheryl Lee supposedly used it as a "bible" to guide her performance on-set in the film. I'm putting this as a spoiler, because I'm not sure if it's wise to let people know Fire Walk With Me is a prequel or let them be surprised. Personally, I'd lean toward the former - since surprise usually seems to spur hostility in fans coming fresh from the show - but I'll leave that to others to decide.

Also, I know Chris and Jake don't like the Log Lady intros, but I think they are worth watching. Most are cryptic - and often frustrating - as all hell but if you have fun puzzling things out and digging into Lynch's general sensibility, they do make the diverse episodes feel more "of a piece": part of some larger story with a bigger meaning (Lynch shot the intros in 1993, after any ongoing Twin Peaks projects had been effectively mooted). Some of those intros, plus the recent Between Two Worlds interview in which Lynch interviews several actors from the series in character (including Laura Palmer), cast the conclusion of Fire Walk With Me in an interesting light. Overall, I think Twin Peaks has some of the most worthwhile, creative supplements of any media phenomenon out there.

Hooly cow, that's an amazing story behind all the writers' credits. Glad there was eventual reconciliation, or at least apologies made. Don't do drugs, kids!

I loved the mention on the podcast about Sheriff Truman mooning over Cooper. That's pretty much the look I have on my face while I watch Coop do his thing.

Yeah, that opening (which is really fantastic) I could've sworn it said:

'daddy', and something else maybe? Listening with headphones cranked I could swear I hear 'Leave me alone' maybe?.

But I don't think it actually changes Chris's observation. 

Leland's subconscious is clearing cracking through.

This episode had a lot more going on but still it feels like the show’s focus is pulling further away which I think detracts from what made it good. I think also it kind of could have set up better to be a broader thing but initially they chose not to and the show is worse for it as the rhythm is all off. 

Series 3 spoilers sort of

Spoiler

Maybe the lack of focus was always the point? When they go back with full control the show is really keen to have its threads as geographically apart as possible  

I liked the starting of the episode (it felt like a lynch trope: mundane through to horror - but in reverse)

i was amused to hear Horne use the phrase “walk n talk”while the camera tracked with him talking to the hotel employee.  Very good - I wonder if this is the first instance of this being referred to in this way. 

A few parts of the episode seemed to have this weird here’s a set up for an obvious fake out aspect several time. (The abortion money, the best bookhouse boy and shop manager getting shot). 

I thought coop talking to lucy was really bad - veering into that “you can never understand women (-_-;)” crap. 

Im glad that cooper’s databank came back!

also I thought it was a good touch that Josie had a British-Esque English accent.