Jake

Idle Thumbs 190: A Very Spectrum HoloByte Christmas

Slimy. Slimy girlS.

Fuuuuck, I'll hand in my C+H fan club membership card  :getmecoat

I didn't realize that some of those romantic interactions in Mass Effect existed. I think the first time I saw a character in a Bioware game where romance could be broached but turned down was Aveline in Dragon Age 2. You do have the option to hit on her, but she's not interested in Hawke, she's interested in one of the other guards. Her questline where you play matchmaker between her and her love interest is super heartwarming and adorably awkward and made her one of my all time favorite Bioware characters. (I think she even manages to avoid suddenly dropping 600* IQ points in the final act, unlike most of the rest of the party, but it's been a while since I played DA2.)

*Yes, I know that people generally come in under 200 on the IQ scale even if they're geniuses. The characters in Act 3 of Dragon Age 2 act like they're deep in the negatives.

I also love Aveline. At first I thought she was a boring paladin type but she really grew on me.

*Yes, I know that people generally come in under 200 on the IQ scale even if they're geniuses. The characters in Act 3 of Dragon Age 2 act like they're deep in the negatives.

But more importantly yeah goddamn the third act just sucks ass doesn't it.

Regarding the Bioware romance discussion, I found some pretty great talks from David Gaider and other people from Bioware from Gaymer x and x2 on the topic so I'm just going to leave them here if anyone is interested. There's some other really good talks too from the convention so if you're interested in the subject I would highly recommend that you check them out!

Here's one from Bioware with the title " Building a better romance" 

Here's another one with Bioware about creating romances 

I also enjoyed this one from Salsa Bear Studios titled "Bridging the Gap - Representing Character Diversity Outside of Extremes" 

And here's GaymerX's youtube chanel if you're interested in more talks, I found most of them pretty interesting! https://www.youtube.com/user/GaymerCon/videos

I just found it amusing that at the beginning of this thread I was pretty confused and it turns out there was talks answering most of my questions floating around on the web, who knew?

Also what is this thing that Danielle brings up on the episode and maybe a few of you here to about Bioware not having many queer writers or something? David Gaider's who's the lead writer is gay as far as I can tell and judging from their talks at least most of the people there seem queer or super queer friendly. Seems like a nice and queer friendly place to work but maybe the issue was queer writers and maybe they only have one?