Jake

Idle Thumbs 190: A Very Spectrum HoloByte Christmas

In a world... where "gin" and "git" are real words... it doesn't matter how you pronounce the fake word "gif."

It's pronounced "O S Ten," though.

I think my default pronunciation for every example in this thread was originally the "wrong" one.

It never occurred to me to pronounce meme like gene (obvious, I know), so in my head for years I just said meme with the e from men.  The first time I heard it the right way, I was so confused. 

The weirdest was how I always said anime without emphasising the e. You're supposed to say it as if it's ani-may but I said it as if it rhymed with time. Only in college did I meet more stringent anime nerds that corrected me.

How about these two: SQL and URL

Originally SQL was named SEQUEL, but that was changed in the beginning due to trademarks. I've always pronounced is as S-Q-L. It was only a few years ago I first heard a guy pronounce is as sequel. He has worked with Microsoft SequelServer (written as SQL Server), so that's probably the cause. And now I know a few more people who keep calling it sequel. They even call it MySequel. Not sure how they pronounce PostgreSQL.

How I pronounce URL depends on the language. In Dutch I pronounce it as "earl", while in English I just say U-R-L. (But for some reason I pronounce URI as "yuri" in both cases).

OSX is based on NeXTSTEP which was based on the Mach kernel in combination with some BSD code. There's no Linux in OSX, and less and less GNU or BSD.

Yeah the X is because it's nice logo for v10.0 as it followed MacOS 9.

Gif and gib are pronounced using the same G. Weird right.

I say Fack, Jif, Jib and Os x..

Fack it!

Edit: Hmm or was it gib... Fack!

I read/say "FAQ" like "fack" but when I see "fack" I read it as "FAACK" with like a huge emphasis on the A for no reason..

FACK!

I'll also second the idea that a video of the Thumbs crew playing Space Alert would be fantastic.

I think the whole idea of a game "respecting a player's time" has become a red herring as a concept. I kind of like how Sean expressed it a little more. I tend to think of the problem games have where they haven't figured out what the scope of the game should be. Like, if your game is about being a super powerful hero, it should be about that. I don't want to have to spend 30 or 40 hours until I get to the "real" part of the game.

The Talos Principle is a long game. It took me longer to finish it than Portal 2, which I thought was also a fairly long game for a puzzle game. But I didn't mind it because the game was never asking me to do things outside of the scope of what the game is supposed to be about. I think that's really where things fall apart for most games. While I wouldn't mind more short games, I don't think that's the primary issue for a lot of people put off by the length of certain games. It has more to do with all the mechanically useless stuff that creeps its way into games.

I've just always said it the way I say it on idle thumbs. Growing up I had no idea it was contentious. Somewhere in the mid-late 90s in high school I got a job at a web developer and someone snidely made fun of me for pronouncing it like "gin" because he pronounced it like "gift." It had never crossed my mind there was another way.

Eventually I met people who called .wav files "wahhv files," like the "lav" in "lavalier," and who pronounced "warez" like "juarez," and who called MacOS X "oh ess ecks," so I just figured there were people out there who pronounced things totally incorrectly (and I was obviously not one of them since I said gif like "gin," the objectively indisputably right way).

My favorite is when people pronounce .flas (Flash files) as "flaws" intstead of just spelling out F L A.

My favorite is when people pronounce .flas (Flash files) as "flaws" intstead of just spelling out F L A.

Everyone I know has always said flah (rhymes with blah). Isn't spelling it out cumbersome?

Well okay, so we spell PSD, we don't say "pissed." Also AEP for After Effects Projects, not ape.

So I still stick with FLA spelled like FLA.

AI is just "illustrator file" because no one likes to talk about that movie.

And SWF is single white female.

And GROSS is Get Rid Of Smelly girlS.

Slimy. Slimy girlS.

Well okay, so we spell PSD, we don't say "pissed." Also AEP for After Effects Projects, not ape.

We say those in Ireland!

Ok I concede, we do say Pee Ess Dee. Though also Photoshop file sometimes and I've only ever heard them called After Effects Files/Projects, which are MORE cumbersome than eff el ay.

I just like saying flah.