Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 11: The Man Behind Glass

Twin Peaks Rewatch 11:

630__header.jpg

The Man Behind Glass

Twin Peaks quickly dives right into the heart of the Season Two portion of Laura Palmer's mystery, and we follow right behind. Cooper and the crew make some strange breaks in the case, and a love triangle becomes a quadrangle, but there is some worrisome super-strength and regressive memory loss appearing at the edges of things. Join us as we take a look at "The Man Behind Glass."

Catching up? Listen to the Rewatch archive.

I like this one quite a bit though it's admittedly a downturn after the two Lynch-directed ones. But Lesli Linka Glatter is probably the best non-Lynch director of the bunch and the One-Armed Man scenes are fantastically creepy. Wait till she gets to direct him again, in an upcoming episode - without spoiling anything, I can say it is the best non-Lynch moment of the show. Well, sort of non-Lynch...you'll see. ;)

The beginning of this episode has always confused me. How did the killer get in to put a letter under Ronette's fingernail when Truman explicitly stated there was a 24 hour guard? Why would the killer decide to put a letter under her fingernail now, after not giving her one the first time, when she still isn't dead? Why was the IV tainted with blue dye?

We later learn that the IV had been tainted with haloperidol, the same anti-schizoprenic drug Philip Gerard, the one-armed man, was injecting himself with to stop "Mike" from "inhabiting" him. I remember reading a crazy theory a while back that Leland never came into Ronette's hospital room at all, and that Ronette was, in fact, briefly possessed by "Bob" to put the letter under her own fingernail (explaining why no one saw anyone enter her room past the 24 hour guard), with the One-Armed Man putting haloperidol in her IV to protect her. I seriously doubt that was the intended explanation, but it is still a mystery to me.

How do the new viewers react to Harold Smith? I've watched 'Peaks' several times with new people and some people seem to get creeped out by him whilst others find him sweet.

I really could have done without Albert's speech to Harry. I like Albert serving a similar role to Cooper in that he has provided the audience with an outside perspective into the town, in his case, snidely calling out the quirky, secretive town and it's ineffectual (save for Hawk, of course) Sheriff's Department. He provides a vent for some of the reactions that modern viewers especially have to some of the more ridiculous, hammy and unprofessional actions of the local police and townsfolk, and, in some cases, this actually makes it seem more sympathetic rather than cheesy melodrama, such as the case with Ed's story about how he and Nadine got together whilst Albert laughs and mocks him. But this speech about his pacifism and "loving Sheriff Truman" all the sudden seems to be there purely to soften his character, when I feel there is no need to at all. Albert should just stay being House, since that's pretty much who he is, several years too early. Also, when he is on his way out of the Sheriff's Station, there is a great little moment where he deliberately slams his shoulder into James. Some pacifist.

WIth the arrival of Dick Tremayne to the station, we realize the show's increased budget is introducing a lot of new characters into the mix. While it is pure fluff and takes the show more towards the campy side of the scale, I actually do find it amusing how completely oblivious he is (he lights a cigarette right in front of the no smoking side, prattles on while Lucy is obviously uninterested), how he acts like such a stuck up dandy and fancies himself high society when he, in fact, really just works at a department store.

This should just be noted again and again, but Hawk is the best. I love how he is insulting Dick to his face, while at the same time coming up with more words containing B, T and R for Lucy's scrabble game. There is nothing he does not excel at. Has it been mentioned yet on the podcast how it seems like so often Harry and Cooper just sit in the Sheriff's Station and eat donuts and drink coffee or talk while they send Hawk off to go do the actual work of investigating? When the new series airs, I want Hawk to be the Sheriff.

It's really funny how Leland actually lights up a match and throws it in a Sheriff's Station no less to make his point, perfectly making it into the ash tray. But did anyone notice the posters hung up on the wall behind him?! There is a hilarious one that might explain how Andy got his job--it says "Is your job a bore? Not any more! Become a Deputy Sheriff". So good.

The shot where Leland holds up the "Have You Seen This Man" poster for "Bob" and covers his face seems, to those of us who have the benefit of having seen the reveal, like another one of those possibly deliberate allusions to the fact that he is the killer. It's interesting that neither he nor Cooper seem to find it strange that Leland recognizes the man in the sketch as the very same man who lived next door to his grandparent's summer home, as if no time had passed at all.

It looks like the demo James, Maddy and Donna recorded already made it on to the Double R Diner jukebox. Oh joy. It has been made clear that Maddy is an adult woman with a car, her own house and a job back in Missoula, Montana. She just came here for her cousin Laura's funeral and to help her aunt and uncle get through it. Why in the world is she hanging out with these high school teenagers investigating mysteries and even flirting around with James, an underage boy? Maddy says running away won't solve anything, but because James is one of the worst characters for me, and his storyline is so odious (

especially later in the season after the Laura Palmer mystery is wrapped up

), I'm pretty sure him running away right now would solve a lot of things in the show for me. I love Maddy's "hand caught in the cookie jar" face when Donna walks in though.

I love how Cooper sees right through Shelly's scheme and sends her on her way with an evil, knowing grin. It's weird, there's a lot of "damn good questions" going around in the Sheriff's Department, like who shot Cooper, who all is involved in the conspiracy to burn down the sawmill and Shelly's insurance scheme, that they acknowledge but then don't seem to put any more effort into answering. It must be a very lacksadaisical police department.

The unsettling, creepy scenes with Gerard in the bathroom, having what looks like some kind of schizophrenic episode off his medication are both enlightening and effective. And the french horns or whatever those are on the soundtrack really add to it. I love the metallic effect on his voice too. It seems he does know something about Bob after all, despite what he told the police the first time he was questioned at the motel in Season 1. How do the new viewers interpret this?

During his hypnosis session, Dr. Jacoby clarifies that he smelled the scorched engine oil smell in that park when he was assaulted, not in the hospital when Jacques died. I love the brief shot where we see Harry starting to fall asleep under Cooper's hypnosis too and he has to gently call him out.

I do find the scene where Donna shouts all her frustrations at Laura's grave pretty effective. One, it reminds us that Donna isn't really as nice a person as she might have seemed in the pilot. Or maybe she's just very immature. And two, it keeps the effect where the ghost of Laura seems like a character in her own right. I love that about this show, the more we learn about her life and her fate, the more real she seems to us.

The scene with Maddy and James at the Palmer house is very weird. First, James just walks in. I know he was Laura's friend, but wasn't that a big secret? So Leland and Sarah probably wouldn't know who this kid was right?. I mean I guess Maddy's allowed to have house guests over. Hey Maddy, kissing him isn't going to put out that fire, honey. But then Donna also just appears inside the Palmer house. Ok, she's her childhood friend whatever. Then James freaking smashes the Palmers' living room lamp in a rage! And Leland finally comes down to see what all the ruckus is about. Talk about a rude house guest! The scene where he screams "WHY?!" at Donna peeling away in her car is equally ridiculous, as if the answer is hard to understand. Well, maybe for him it is.

When Maddy is crying about how she isn't Laura and Leland tries to comfort her, I half expect Leland to hug her and be like "I know. There there, Laura, oops!". She really has become like his surrogate daughter. I think this scene might have also been done to go against a pretty popular crazy theory at the time, that Maddy was, in fact, secretly Laura in disguise, through some weird scheme or mixup. So they wanted to double down on the fact that, no, Maddy isn't Laura.

But then Sheriff Truman and Agent Cooper just walk into the Palmer house! Apparently, James left the door wide open. I think the Palmers need to lock their doors. It's just really weird to me when you think about how all these people just stroll into the Palmers' house and even break their stuff without a thought.

So Laura had a second diary, one the police didn't find when they searched her bedroom. And this mystery man Harold Smith has it.

Man, the more I listen to this podcast and watch this show, I kind of just think Twin Peaks sucks. Most of this show is really not very good and the podcast seems to generally touch on this and all of the other issues but then it's kind of like, "But it's David Lynch!" I feel like Lynch tends to get a free pass, but I've also never really liked anything the guy has directed at all besides episodes of Twin Peaks.

I think most of the people are into Twin Peaks for the bizarre 90s cheese, but it's pretty much worn thin for me. I don't know, I never finished season 2 the first go around and who killed Laura Palmer is just incredibly idiotic (but it suits the show), but I feel like the bad far outweighs the good here. Often the "genius" parts tend to be just a bunch of slapdash nonsense to me, which is amusing to a point for me.

But eh, I'll still finish all episodes of this podcast and the show, because what else am I going to do when the room is silent?

I think most of the people are into Twin Peaks for the bizarre 90s cheese

I think there are much better (worse?) places to go for bizarre 90s cheese, and I don't think that's what most people are into Twin Peaks for.

I'm not as down on it as you synth because I feel like aside from weird 90's cheese there's still plenty of dark and real themes in the undercurrent of this show. There's a lot about people and their nature, Laura's secret life and how that reflects on everyone else in the town. Twin Peaks is a show about the public and private nature of people and it really does demonstrate that incredibly well when it has those dark moments. I think it even fits to have those book ended with silly cheesey fluff, because that's what you see for most of your life. You wont see the hidden side to people all day, just glimpses of it in those rare moments.

I think I have some issues with the wackiness of it at this point though. When everyone questions the phenomenon of the giant I found it pretty odd given that in series 1 anything supernatural was accepted without much question. Now both Cooper and Truman regard it with a lot of scepticism despite the fact that it seems no less credible on the face of it than the red room dream or the tibetan rock throwing technique. Which just ends up reading as weird and inconsistent to me as the series goes on because you can't tell how people should react if some surreal things are acceptable but others are not and I can't tell the difference.

It doesn't ruin the show at all for me, it just makes it harder to take into your brain when the rules of its world are up for interpretation from moment to moment. It makes me really wonder how people could still consider it a mystery since traditionally mysteries rely on a clear cause and effect relationship so that the events of the murder can be made clear.

I agree with SuperBiasedMan that the dark themes of the show are the real connective tissue and I think the 'cheese' was designed just to provide some necessary prime-time levity, (even though sometimes it's used as outright satire). I especially find the dark aspects of Twin Peaks so engaging and unlike anything else that it's easy to ignore the characters and segments that are goofy. Like cup of black coffee with rainbow sprinkles. The sprinkles don't belong, but if you take them out the coffee might be too bitter to enjoy at all. Cream is just too conventional for Lynch to employ. 

Which is maybe where Fire Walk with Me went wrong for some people, though I loved the hell out of it and it made me appreciate the darker aspects of the show even more. No rainbow sprinkles there. 

I'm not as down on it as you synth because I feel like aside from weird 90's cheese there's still plenty of dark and real themes in the undercurrent of this show. There's a lot about people and their nature, Laura's secret life and how that reflects on everyone else in the town. Twin Peaks is a show about the public and private nature of people and it really does demonstrate that incredibly well when it has those dark moments. I think it even fits to have those book ended with silly cheesey fluff, because that's what you see for most of your life. You wont see the hidden side to people all day, just glimpses of it in those rare moments.

I guess that's what I mean, it's a show I personally wouldn't like if it were just played straight and without all the weird cheese or dorky joke parts added in creating a mixture that is often times fun.

At the same time the mixture can often times be really stupid in a way I don't care about. However it's not really the comedy that's played that way to me (although the coming up

Catherine disguise and eyepatch lady

storyline are remarkably idiotic), it's the many of the main plotlines and a lot of the acting that makes me cringe.

I also haven't ever seen Fire Walk With Me and I will be watching it the first time along with this podcast.

Part of the thing is in general, I've never really liked anything Lynch has directed, so maybe it's just me. They always have their moments and are generally amusing enough but I often usually feel, "well that was a bunch of stupid nonsense" when I finish his movies. But to note, I haven't seen Dune and Elephant Man though, which I need to get to at some point.

Longtime Twin Peaks/David Lynch fan here. I just discovered the podcast and this forum, and I'm really excited about the rewatch. I was doing a rewatch of my own anyway, and some lucky Googling led me here.

I watched the show back during it's original run and it hooked me from the get-go. Unfortunately, there was very little in the way of Internet back then, so I never had much of a chance to discuss the show with people. I'm happy to find a place where there are TP newbies and veterans alike talking about my favorite show of all time.

Anyway, I think this is a pretty strong episode for a non-Lynch installment, but it was bound to be a letdown after the two that preceded it. I especially like the developments in Leland's story. I find his description of his childhood interactions with Bob to be enormously creepy. I'm sure everyone noticed that Bob's "Do you want to play with fire, little boy?" line echoes what James, in the season premier, said Laura had told him. I also love Leland's scene with Maddie, which is very bittersweet when you think about how he has to comfort her and how that must be bringing up even more painful memories of Laura.

All in all a solid episode.

Wow, quick on the draw here, I just watched the episode yesterday myself.

I think I have some issues with the wackiness of it at this point though. When everyone questions the phenomenon of the giant I found it pretty odd given that in series 1 anything supernatural was accepted without much question. Now both Cooper and Truman regard it with a lot of scepticism despite the fact that it seems no less credible on the face of it than the red room dream or the tibetan rock throwing technique. Which just ends up reading as weird and inconsistent to me as the series goes on because you can't tell how people should react if some surreal things are acceptable but others are not and I can't tell the difference.

Personally, it seemed to me that Albert was questioning the phenomenon out of skepticism and that Truman was asking out of interest and fascination.

I really could have done without Albert's speech to Harry. I like Albert serving a similar role to Cooper in that he has provided the audience with an outside perspective into the town, in his case, snidely calling out the quirky, secretive town and it's ineffectual (save for Hawk, of course) Sheriff's Department. He provides a vent for some of the reactions that modern viewers especially have to some of the more ridiculous, hammy and unprofessional actions of the local police and townsfolk, and, in some cases, this actually makes it seem more sympathetic rather than cheesy melodrama, such as the case with Ed's story about how he and Nadine got together whilst Albert laughs and mocks him. But this speech about his pacifism and "loving Sheriff Truman" all the sudden seems to be there purely to soften his character, when I feel there is no need to at all. Albert should just stay being House, since that's pretty much who he is, several years too early. Also, when he is on his way out of the Sheriff's Station, there is a great little moment where he deliberately slams his shoulder into James. Some pacifist.

The way that scene comes across to me, both the first and second time watching, is that Albert is a little weasel who gets beaten up a lot and made up this story (or maybe even believes it a little) to avoid getting punched again. I didn't think it made him sympathetic at all, I actually think it made him seem even less so.

Personally, it seemed to me that Albert was questioning the phenomenon out of skepticism and that Truman was asking out of interest and fascination.

I read it as that after the initial reveal but to me it did read as scepticism when Cooper first mentioned it, and even Cooper seemed to think it was less valid except that his ring was actually missing.

I'll just say it here, but the sound quality was fine! I heard everything. And I think at the moment you sometimes struggle to really find things worth discussing, so it makes sense to drop two episodes at a time when so much of the show is filled with insurance, amnesiac, James plots.

Also I thought that the scene with James screaming No was directly connected to the Leland and Maddie scene because as James leaves he swipes a lamp off a table out of frustration and then Leland walks in to look at his random act of violence to be like "...what was that?" and right after we follow James out it cuts back to Leland and Maddie there.

I personally hope for a soundtrack made entirely out of orchestra hits samples or maybe Songsmith versions of the original soundtrack.

The way that scene comes across to me, both the first and second time watching, is that Albert is a little weasel who gets beaten up a lot and made up this story (or maybe even believes it a little) to avoid getting punched again. I didn't think it made him sympathetic at all, I actually think it made him seem even less so.

Yeah this exactly. Personally I think he is sincere even, very Buddhist of him, but that doesn't mean he's won't enjoy being an asshole even if he's an affectionate one. I think it humanizes him wonderfully and justifies his unrelenting unpleasantness.

How do the new viewers react to Harold Smith? I've watched 'Peaks' several times with new people and some people seem to get creeped out by him whilst others find him sweet.

[...]

The unsettling, creepy scenes with Gerard in the bathroom, having what looks like some kind of schizophrenic episode off his medication are both enlightening and effective. And the french horns or whatever those are on the soundtrack really add to it. I love the metallic effect on his voice too. It seems he does know something about Bob after all, despite what he told the police the first time he was questioned at the motel in Season 1. How do the new viewers interpret this?

During his hypnosis session, Dr. Jacoby clarifies that he smelled the scorched engine oil smell in that park when he was assaulted, not in the hospital when Jacques died. I love the brief shot where we see Harry starting to fall asleep under Cooper's hypnosis too and he has to gently call him out.

Nice post! I'll answer these from my new viewer perspective: For Harold, I like him despite his creepiness. He seems very self-aware which is a quality I admire, especially in this show (see also my thoughts on Albert above). A little creepy, but nice.

Gerard/Mike, I guess it's either mundane or supernatural multiple personalities. Probably supernatural based on that massive syringe (as opposed to a regular pill). I figure he really didn't consciously know anything about Bob as a killer, and he honestly told them the only Bob he knew was his best friend the vet. I wonder what he wants with Bob the killer, it seemed he was going to kill him or something. I'm very interested to find out! (By the way, I'm still waiting for them to follow up on the vet info. Is that the same Bob or what?)

The engine oil thing, that's what I thought too. Last episode Dr. Jacoby said he smelled engine oil that night in the hospital room, but this time he changed his story. But Cooper was so intent on identifying the Jacques' killer that he missed it. So it seems the man who attacked Jacoby (and who was spying on Bobby at the drug deal?) had that engine oil smell about him. Or maybe it was Bobby who had the smell since he was there at the same time, as I recall.

It doesn't ruin the show at all for me, it just makes it harder to take into your brain when the rules of its world are up for interpretation from moment to moment. It makes me really wonder how people could still consider it a mystery since traditionally mysteries rely on a clear cause and effect relationship so that the events of the murder can be made clear.

I think it comes under more scrutiny now because Cooper is claiming explicitly that it was not a dream. All of season 1 was dreams and visions, but now supernatural stuff is happening more directly. But yeah, some other stuff is not commented on much. I'm glad Albert at least criticizes Cooper more for this more blatant thing.

I think I'll have more to say about the mysteries of the show, but I'll have to think about it and comment when I have some more time. Loving this discussion!

The first time I watched I was super creeped out by him. This time I am still creeped out by him.

When he loses it after Maddie and Donna try to steal the diary, is he going to hurt them? I was 100% convinced he was going to try and murder them, but then he's painted in a weirdly sympathetic light so maybe I misinterpreted...?

Albert's speech: love it. It hits the same funny-real spot that Andy's crying at crime scenes does, and the result is that I laughed my ass off listening to him without it seeming like just a joke. It adds some depth to his character, giving a few layers in addition to his asshole nature instead of erasing it.

I do find the scene where Donna shouts all her frustrations at Laura's grave pretty effective. One, it reminds us that Donna isn't really as nice a person as she might have seemed in the pilot. Or maybe she's just very immature.

I agree that it gives Donna some shading beyond "nice girl", but to me it didn't feel immature, and if it was mean it was understandably so. What we're learning about Laura is that she was a very complicated, difficult, and maybe scary person, so it makes sense that Donna would have complicated feelings about her and be angry.

And two, it keeps the effect where the ghost of Laura seems like a character in her own right. I love that about this show, the more we learn about her life and her fate, the more real she seems to us.

Laura's such a good character, something that's rare enough even when the person involved isn't a murdered teenage girl. That's one of the things that makes Twin Peaks special to me, that Laura isn't just a plot point. (That's also why I loved Fire Walk With Me.)

Regarding the suggestion of discussing two episodes in one podcast: I'm all for that! (I'm assuming that the podcast will still be more or less weekly.)

I already mentioned earlier that I have very mixed feelings about Season 2, but I had completely forgotten how long it is and how many stupid plotlines there are:

Windom Earle, Lucy's love triangle, James' soap opera spinoff, teenage Nadine, beauty pageant, Ben's Civil War, etc. etc.

In the next episode, for example, bunch of things are set in motion (again....) but nothing much actually happens.

A mixture of responses to the episode and StealThisCorn's post, filled in largely by also watching Fire Walk With Me for the first time:

I really liked Albert's speech because I think it gave you this sympathetic undertone to a largely insufferable asshole character. He's not a violent shithead, he just is incredibly acerbic and even condescending but I think it is his way of maybe showing Truman that while he is a jerk, he's above being angry and taking it out on people. He's just incredibly fastidious and demands a lot of people, potentially because he demands a lot of himself. I've always really liked Albert for that reason. 

As far as the Audrey Horne/One Eyed Jack/Blackie thing mentioned on the episode:

I definitely got the implication that maybe the Hornes had done this thing to Blackie in the past, even if she is maybe the same age as them? It feels like OEJ is a concoction that the Hornes came up with a long time ago and has largely been a gross side-business for all sorts of reasons, but factoring in

the events of Fire Walk with Me, with Fleshworld, Laura/Ronette, "the perfume counter", Tracy, and all that, plus given how many men in this town suddenly have proclivities for underage girls and frequently encourage them, it feels like the darkness that surrounds Twin Peaks has a lot to do with spoiling the innocence of young people and trafficking them in a sexual way. It's incredibly dark and it made watching Fire Walk With Me really, really hard, especially when you factor in the stuff with Donna at the Pink Room(which feels disjointed from how she is in the show, which should be chronologically after the movie). Laura feels like a lightning rod for all of the evilness of the town, like some sort of teen girl nexus, hence why Bob wanted to possess her.

Like, it just feels like so many people or even just men, rather, in this area of the state are just really horrible people or if it is an effect of what is surrounding them. And why does it all seem to be channelled in this particular way?

Either way it was super hard to watch the movie and then come back to the show after realizing this.

BTW, if anyone would want to PM me re: FWWM, I have a lot of questions and I need to talk to someone who understands the series as a whole better than I do to answer some questions about it, I cannot wait until the podcast catches up to it. 

Yeah, the farther into season 2 we get, the antsier I am to go and rewatch the movie.

Well since FWWM is the topic of conversation on many of these threads, I'll share a video I just uploaded a few minutes ago. It provides context and analysis for the film's controversial relationship to the series.

It should go without saying, but DO NOT WATCH THIS if you are a newcomer to the series. That said, if you haven't seen Fire Walk With Me, but have made it halfway through the series (I mean exactly halfway, 15-16 episodes in) you can watch it. Fire Walk With Me does reference the final episode of the show, but those references are not featured in my video. I do include some clips from late in the series, but nothing particularly important, plotwise (except for some dialogue from episode 16/17 that elaborates on something we discover in episode 14/15).

In spoiler tags, because of the image YouTube chose as a thumbnail (I updated it, but for some reason the embed still includes it).

Yeah, the farther into season 2 we get, the antsier I am to go and rewatch the movie.

Yeah, I basically outpaced you guys really fast after the end of Season 1 and then had to Amazon Prime the FWWM DVD so I could watch it, since it is literally on NO streaming services, afaik. (I have Hulu, AP Video, Netflix, etc)

I couldn't find it either, bought it, and lost interest before it arrived so my first time watching it will be along with the final podcast episode.

...it feels like the darkness that surrounds Twin Peaks has a lot to do with spoiling the innocence of young people and trafficking them in a sexual way

That's the reason I'm glad they never had Audrey and Cooper enter into a physical relationship. The circumstances of that would've been different, but it's still not quite right and even ickier in context of the town.

spoilers

Me too because it would have been REALLY NOT OKAY, especially for a federal agent. I feel like the show is so into making the teens feel like adults at times (intentionally or not) that the moments that they are silly teens comes through with a slap to your face - you remember very quickly that they are all 18 or younger. Like Audrey not having a plan at OEJs or using an English book name, etc. You remember very quickly that in many ways, she's just a kid. Laura was just a kid. Donna is just a kid, so is James. So is Mike. So is Ronnette and so are most of the girls from the perfume counter, if not 19 or very early 20s.

I should say I think at the beginning of this episode they did a good job of showing how tortured Leland is mentally. 

And while I think Cooper and Audrey should've stayed an item (not necessarily consummated), at least now we have the chance to have some more Zane in our lives come 2016.