Sign in to follow this  
Gwardinen

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

Anyone else have this? I bought it from the US PSN store onto my PS3, but I believe it's cross-platform play, so if you have it on the PS4 that's cool. I would just like someone other than my flatmate to play with because he won't stop complaining that Johnny isn't in this one.

Whoa whoa whoa, Johnny isn't in this one? Count me the fuck out.

(I kid. I haven't played any Guilty gear game. When it's out in the UK, sure thing!)

So bummed out that this hasn't been announced for PC. It looks gorgeous and I'd love to play Guilty Gear again!

When it's out in the UK, sure thing!

Pfft. Pfft, I say. Do as I did - make a US PSN account, buy PSN credit through US Amazon, apply it to your account and buy the game there, before switching back to your profile after it's installed.

What are you, a filthy casual?

What are you, a filthy casual?

.... yes

Actually what's super weird is that Rice Digital (who I'm pretty sure is the official site for everything arc systems in england) are offering special edition imports of the game: http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=xrd

For ridiculous prices of course. lol

So how good is the new one?

Yeah that's a pretty steep markup, just going straight from $50 to £50.

As for how good it is... I'm more of a GG enthusiast than a particularly knowledgeable/skilled player, so in terms of the changes to characters and systems I can't speak much. It feels relatively balanced, but then it has already been an arcade game and then out on consoles in Japan for a while so you would figure they've had time to iron a lot of stuff out.

In terms of the experience of playing it, it's a lot like #Reload and Accent Core, but on a modern system. All the things that are enjoyable about Guilty Gear - the speed, the crazy anime moves, the "easy to pick up, hard to master" controls - are still there. Anything you didn't like about Guilty Gear is almost certainly still there too. But now occasionally the camera swoops around into 3D when launching someone into the air, or at the end of a round, or during a character intro. It's bizarre because when you're fighting it still really looks and feels like a 2D fighter - they essentially built it in a 3D engine just to have little wow moments at non-critical times.

There are a few little system touches that are nice too, like the ability to select English or Japanese voices, and being able to change button inputs easily at character select screen. They've also put colour options in there straight up this time, so you don't just have to press random buttons on the controller and hope that it looks like how you want it to.

Something that I think is new to this one is that there are fairly extensive training modes - both in terms of the standard "do all of this character's moves and combos" mode and also in terms of a hypothetical situation mode. For example, I think the first challenge in the latter case is that Ky is jumping backwards and preparing a projectile move. Your objective is to dash in and use a long ranged strike to knock him out of it before he can hit you. That's a genuinely useful manoeuvre to master! I still don't really know what the best way to teach someone a fighting game is, but this seems like a step in the right direction.

Definitely in the same boat as you Gwardinen; I love the GG games, but I know I'm terrible at them. I've picked up Xrd on PS4, but going through the training modes I feel like the Dualshock 4 controller is hampering a lot of what I try to do in the game. Doing Sol's half-circle back -> forward move results in him jumping into the air half of the time, which has never happened to me in any of the previous versions I've played (X2, #Reload). I think I'm going to wait for a proper fight stick to be released for the PS4 before I try again, then actually try to become somewhat competent at the game.

I'm still using the DualShock 3, obviously, but I'm actually using the d-pad rather than the analog stick, because PlayStation analog sticks have always been kinda dodgy. I just want the stick from the 360 controller and the d-pad from the PS3 controller, is that so much to ask?

Gah, it really hurts me that i'm not playing this right now, but i don't have either a PS3 or a PS4.

I'm really hoping they eventually do a PC ver.  SF5 style, with cross play.  I really dont want to buy a new stick (and shouldnt have to, proven by Lab Zero) for PS4 since I have 7 between 360 and PS3 already.