Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 288: Ardennes Assault

Rob and Fraser talk about Company of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault. Someone, on this very show, declares Ardennes assault to be the best - the BEST - that Company of Heroes has ever been. But who? Who would make such a bold claim?

Listen here.

CoH2 was completely off my radar after having heard some "meh" reviews; I'll have to check it out.

The steam christmas sale is on, and CoH2 is full price, mind.

Ardennes Assault is a standalone expansion FYI, so I would just pick that up, and skip the base game.

Sorry Rob, your podcast has inspired me to give the Warhammer 40k games a try, despite everything discussed :)

Ardennes Assault is a standalone expansion FYI, so I would just pick that up, and skip the base game.

Eh this is tricky. Yes AA is a stand alone expansion but is also singleplayer only so you would be missing on a vital portion of the CoH 2 experience. The base game is half off right now at $19.99. I would suggest purchasing that and getting a feel for the game before putting double that price into a singleplayer experience you may not enjoy, less risky this way. Also The Western Front Armies are also on sale for $9.99 as well.

I was glad to hear the fellas happened to enjoy this release considering they were a bit down on vanilla CoH 2. As to the bit at the end about RTS games making a bit of a come back and how much Rob has been playing Grey Goo (which looks great) I'd also like to add that Eugen is creating a base building/resource gathering RTS called Act of Aggression in the vein of their older Act of War games, and another SciFi RTS is close to release called Etherium which isn't looking too shabby either.

As to the bit at the end about RTS games making a bit of a come back and how much Rob has been playing Grey Goo (which looks great) I'd also like to add that Eugen is creating a base building/resource gathering RTS called Act of Aggression in the vein of their older Act of War games, and another SciFi RTS is close to release called Etherium which isn't looking too shabby either.

Thanks for spelling out Grey Goo, I had hard time figuring out the title of that game from podcast audio alone as the game isn't that big on search engines yet.  Wow it looks fun, it's that slightly slower paced old school RTS that I haven't played in a while, with touch of modernization to get rid of UI and other outdated stuff.

Also thanks on the heads up on Act of Aggression because I really enjoyed Act of War (would play it now if it wasn't for that silly 2gb ram limit and stuff) and pretty much all of Eugene's games have been good to great thus far.

Thanks for spelling out Grey Goo, I had hard time figuring out the title of that game from podcast audio alone as the game isn't that big on search engines yet.  Wow it looks fun, it's that slightly slower paced old school RTS that I haven't played in a while, with touch of modernization to get rid of UI and other outdated stuff.

Also thanks on the heads up on Act of Aggression because I really enjoyed Act of War (would play it now if it wasn't for that silly 2gb ram limit and stuff) and pretty much all of Eugene's games have been good to great thus far.

No problem mate!