Sign in to follow this  
EmperorNortonI

Study programming, 3D graphics, or neither?

I'm looking into the abyss of career change and going back to school in the near future.  I've always wanted to get into game development, but the sane and sensible voices of reason steered me into the safe and assured waters of academia.  Well, that worked about as well as expected, and I'm at a bit of a crossroads, and I wondered what people here think. For reasons, I have to enroll in a college program of some sort next year.  The question is, study what?  There are sensible options, options which might actually lead to a job in the near future, and then there's the dream - learn enough to actually start making my own games, or at least be able to effectively contribute to a team.  I'm considering a structured 3-year course in 3D art and design, or a 3-year course in basic programming.

As a beginner who aspires to some ability to make his own games as a hobby (and, should that go well, maybe look for a job, or start my own company), which path would be more useful?  Knowing how to do graphics and character design is always useful, but I wonder about my own art ability.  Then again, the reason I didn't study programming when I was in college the first time around is that math is intimidating, and I don't know much.

FYI, I'm 37, and have two MA's in History, and have taught high school for 6 years.  I did mod scripting for Europa Universalis III a long time ago (I wrote the ComboMod, which was briefly the #2 mod in the EU Mod scene), and dabbled around with Neverwinter Nights back in the day, and learned a bit of the StarCraft 2 engine, but nothing too serious.  I've also written a few stories, a lot of short history pieces to use in the classroom, and a few board games - nothing published, of course, but one of my games was distinctly playable.

I know that the standard advice for people in my situation is always to just start making things, and I've tried a bit here and there.  Work, life, etc. have made it hard, and as I said, I'm enrolling in some sort of course regardless.

Anyways, thanks for any advice proffered.

A few days ago I came across an article about the Door Problem, which I think outlines the multi-faceted nature of game development rather well.  I wouldn't resign yourself to either a programming or 3D art course because they appear to be the most relevant studies.  Personally I would try a little bit of everything, if for nothing else to determine whether or not you can do that kind of work day to day and enjoy it.  I don't think any path is more useful than another, no matter what you choose you'll develop a functional understanding of other disciplines--it's more a question of what you prefer.

I agree with itsamoose, but given that you do want to do a course I would say it's important to determine which you think you'd get a lot out of in an educational setting. You could try self teaching other disciplines, but if you mostly thrive in education, maybe the thing you're weaker in and would need to be pushed with is a good thing to do the course itself in.

This is kind of tenuous advice because I'm essentially saying "choose what's right for you", but in a very concrete sense. Determine which field you think you'd learn more from in an educational institute.

Don't forget design! Music, if you're into it! Um... other stuff!

I dunno if you want to move COMPLETELY away from your previous profession or not, but history is pretty obviously a super interesting pool of inspiration from which to draw when it comes to video games. Also a surprisingly largely disregarded one. So at least you got that going for you!