Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 10: Coma

Enjoyed reading these responses.

*How do you think Leland knows Bob?

Er...he says he was an old neighbor? I guess he probably talked to him a few times. Also, weird he didn't see this sketch when his wife was describing this guy in their house like a week ago.

Ha, my bad. I misremembered that information as arriving in the very next episode.

As for the mill plot, I've seen the series 4 or 5 times (and this particular episode at least once on its own) and I STILL tend to get lost on the third or fourth double-cross...

I was so glad that the Horns themselves just sort of throw up their hands this week about it.

Because I watched this show for the first time very recently, I had heard a lot about Bob climbing over the couch as it really freaked a lot of people out and stuck in their memories. When I finally saw it, it wasn't that scary to me. (Though Bob behind the bedpost freaked me right out and still does.) I did, however, get a shiver at the Major's printouts. The repeating, mindless-or-possibly-not COOPER COOPER COOPER.....brrr.

The one that got me was the quick-cut section of the end of S2E1. That seriously screwed me up, even to the point where as I lay in bed that night my brain would occasionally flash an image of Bob.

Really excellent points made about how women are represented in this show. Of course women from an already marginalized town like Twin Peaks would lack agency, and I appreciate how it is explored.

Really excellent points made about how women are represented in this show. Of course women from an already marginalized town like Twin Peaks would lack agency, and I appreciate how it is explored.

True - and I forgot to mention how well this ties into the discussion Chris & Jake had on the show. h/t Welcome to Twin Peaks (http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/inside-twin-peaks-mark-frost/); so glad I stumbled across this last night.

EDIT: Just realized your original comment was probably already referencing the podcast, rather than the program I linked above (especially since that link didn't actually work; I fixed it below). Either way, applies to both.

I'm ok with it, although like the Giant physically taking Cooper's ring, I don't really like that clear real-world connection. Like I would prefer if it was plausibly random radio noise or whatever, that's ruled out by Cooper's name, as well as the seemingly deliberate space characters between the words. It's not even every four letters or whatever, it's between the words. By the way why does the government care about other galaxies, and what exactly are they monitoring, radio band or light or what, and what code are they using to translate that to english letters wouldn't it be like binary signals at best, and why is this a secret I mean SETI does this all the time OH IT'S TV NEVERMIND

I imagine that what we see is not raw data. They properly sent the actual raw data through thousands of filters in seach of anything legible.

-----

I asked my parents about Twin Peaks yesterday, and their reaction was very much like the parents in the episode. My father mentioned that he watched everything, but he must have slipped off the vagon at some point, as he did not know

that the mystery had been solved.

Whoops, posted a link earlier that didn't work. I'll try again.

Just discovered a video from 1990, in which Mark Frost discusses Twin Peaks with journalists, critics, and authors. It's longer and rougher-around-the-edges than the video I posted before (it's a local public program rather than a national broadcast) but goes way more in-depth. The participants discuss several points germane to both this forum and Chris' and Jake's discussion on the podcast including the depiction of women on the show. I find Judith Guest's comments at 48:45 (discussing good and evil on the show) to be particularly on-point.

Here is a direct link: http://www.mnvideovault.org/index.php?id=16577&select_index=0&popup=yes#0. That's a pop-up video so if it doesn't work, you can watch the video embedded on this site: http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/inside-twin-peaks-mark-frost/

The program was recorded immediately after this episode, so no spoilers for newcomers.

It's so funny because the host of the video segment literally looks like she could be on the show. But then I remember, no, that's how EVERYONE looked back then.

It's so funny because the host of the video segment literally looks like she could be on the show. But then I remember, no, that's how EVERYONE looked back then.

She definitely has a "season 1 Maddy" vibe about her.

Or even the Log Lady (who by the by, was on the extended cut of the Brunch episode of Portlandia, I just noticed.)

I really liked the contrast between Briggs (garland) reaction to Margaret telling him the log has something to say and cooper back in series 1

the scene with Briggs and cooper is interesting

Series 3 spoiler

Spoiler

The printout that they find in the tube only has two cooper’s which is really really bizarre because I’m sure the sheet (unless another shows up) has loads of coopers  

I sort of want a cheese pig. It seems odd to me that the Hornes had a plan including Catherine, ledgers and so on but when they finally get what they want (dead Catherine and ledgers)they don’t really know what to do except eat mallows. 

I cant see blackie and perfume manager doing anything. What can they do which isn’t really dumb?!

it was interesting to me that cooper’s dream was a dream in the way Garland defined “dream” in the previous episode - ie this seemed like a recollection and sorting of events. I think it’s cute and important that they visually distinguish what dreams and visions look like. 

Man james is song. And their weird microphone setup where he sort of is just perches on the sofa. It seems to be done for earnestness here 

Series 3 stuff

Spoiler

Unlike in series 3 which was even more hilarious because James is twice as old at that point!

Its odd to see Donna being not Audrey so quickly. 

Creamed corn is gross looking.