Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Dota Today 14: The Summit 2

Would like to hear your thoughts on the format -- I'm aware the mix is bad and might try to fix it tonight (but doesn't matter if you've already listened).  

I don't play Dota 2 but my boyfriend loves it so very much, and is always watching tournaments, so I was exposed to a lot of the Summit 2. Mostly I just heckled about Aui 2000 being my favorite because of his hand embroidered "AUI 2COZY" Snuggie that his girlfriend made him.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, (I have long commute times and was hoping to get some Aui commentary in this ep) and thought the mix was totally inoffensive. A ton of the podcasts I listen to use skype rather than than local recording and this one only had a slight skype sound to it. I think a new format with a regular/semi regular release schedule is pretty desirable. Keep it up Sean.

The format was noticeably devoid of in-person crosstalk, but was otherwise good and easy to follow for this non-Dota player who can't even watch the game with any comprehension.

As discussed, guess I need a dual monitor setup in order to watch a tournament!

Only downside to the dual screen setup is that the stream and the client aren't synced up. My personal pref is Stream / VODs and then client to deep dive into one player's perspective. 

The XMG Captains Draft tournament has been fun! I recommend checking it out. 

The sound quality was super fine! Don't sweat it! On par with (if not streets ahead of) any other Dota podcast. 

Hey Sean, while obviously I appreciate the benefits of the Idle Thumbs style "get everyone in a room together and have at it" format, I think this format is totally fine. The conversation was good, and that's all that really matters when you get down to it as long as the audio quality isn't too awful. I think the audio quality for this was somewhat rough, but it wasn't bad enough that I noticed it after about a minute.

If this is a format that works for getting more episodes to happen then I'm thrilled.

I agree with your guest's comment about how more leagues or tournaments need distinct identities. Although I'm interested in watching competitive matches, there are so many that I don't really know what to follow, and therefore I'm reluctant to spend any money buying a ticket to watch games. That seems like a pretty big marketing failure that needs to be addressed. I also feel bad for all the pro players that have to figure out what tournaments to participate in. If Valve would at least endorse tournaments they think are cool and worth checking out that would make a huge difference towards improved standards, but their whole philosophy is so built around not imposing their own desires that this will probably never happen.

I saw that Puppey did some streaming on twitch last week, and that was enough for me to join the Team Secret bandwagon. That dude makes DOTA so much fun.

i think the format change is pretty great!  any dota talk is better than no dota talk - and this way you can cast a wider net of guests (i love brad on the cast, just more perspective is great :D )

the contract event i thought was a weird money grab.  the arcana sets themselves are already money grabs - but create a rarity in the item and change so much (voice, icon, model, etc) that it could be justified if you were just an in-love Terrorblade or Lina player (i guess LC and SF too  :tdown: ) - but centering an entire event (when diretide and frostivus were skipped) centering on someone spending $30 and then trying to complete a slightly disrupting mini-game inside a real game was pretty stupid.  If in the middle of a match everyone turned into greevils unexpectedly and had to fight a mega-roshan in the jungle i'd be pretty irritated

My mood in general on Dota has taken a bit of an up/down ride lately - i only play sunday & tuesdays with my family/group of 5 in RD.  sometimes we'll get an even match where both teams play well, pick well, and go at it.  other times we get out picked or out played and becomes a in-team fight blaming our (by far) weakest player for being dead weight.  So, i still love dota, but some days i have just as good a time playing not-dota; and i dont know if there is a catalyst on the horizon to re-invigorate my dota desire until next TI

anyways, welcome back! and just need that opening back.  the energy of "...and THIS is dota today" is so great.

I like the format a lot. Dota today has always been a smaller podcast, and I think the one on one nature works well with the more casual mode of this episode. I also like the idea of talking to different people week to week. With dota being such singular matter (versus video games! OR Serial for Idlethumbs), having a variety of opinions feels more functionally satisfying. 

Dig the new format, looking forward to hearing different perspectives/voices on Dota!

Which ever format makes it easier for you to supply us with regular episodes is fine with me.  Empty baked bean cans connected by string if you must.