Jake

Idle Thumbs 188: A Refined Baby

I relistened to the 187 and there were no woofs, and I can't keep going backwards. I concede with the woofs.

Unless it was just Jake saying "woof" this whole time? Maybe you guys have never said woof and I am getting all of my podcasts mixed up.

I really like Sean and think he is one of the most debonair people on the planet, but the above post is still hilarious and great. Good job, Korax.

Don't thank me, it's all Jake's fault.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, JAKE

For what it's worth tegan, Shantae isn't on my goty list because it's not out in England yet. I'm looking forward to playing it when it is. Hopefully it's going to be as good as you claim.

So on Jake's distaste for reboots that are secretly sequels - I'm detecting a hint of Jake preferring original movies over either straight sequels, or reboots that are sequels, or straight reboots. I think, though, that movie executives have found much the same thing that game executives have, which is that original works don't sell anywhere near as well as known quantities, and what the mass audience wants above all else is to know exactly what they're getting when they buy a ticket. Everyone was watching very closely at the start of the millenium when Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings did a serialised story that came out at the same time every year and people kept coming back, the closest thing to a sure thing the movie industry had seen in a while. I don't blame movie executives for deciding that their movie will be more successful if they ride the coat-tales of something people already like, because it's really depressing to find out that original ideas aren't actually valued nearly as much as old ideas, reheated.

It's really weird to me, and I think a lot of people, that most people decide to go to the movies first and only work out what they're going to see when they get there. Advertising for specific movies mostly seems to convince people that it's time to go to the movies.

It's really weird to me, and I think a lot of people, that most people decide to go to the movies first and only work out what they're going to see when they get there. Advertising for specific movies mostly seems to convince people that it's time to go to the movies.

What?! What kind of anarchic behaviour is that? I definitely only go the movies if I want to see a specific film. I also usually buy my tickets online, then show the receipt on my phone to the ticket selling person having swiftly passed through the priority ticket lane. Why would I want to stand in line with the normal people line and have my seat allocated for me?

Gosh, I've done that twice since I was just riding on whatever movie the group decides on. The first time, we went with Alien vs Predator 2, which is a disaster trainwreck, and the second time, we ended up watching Happy Feet, which I had already seen. So no thank you, I only go out to the movies if I know what I'm watching now.

I think usually people do that if they wanna hang out and see a movie but the motivation is more in being social than in the act of seeing the film. Also I don't know if other people have this problem too but it's hard enough organising groups of people to coordinate on times as it is without also having to match with a movie's schedule.

I think usually people do that if they wanna hang out and see a movie but the motivation is more in being social than in the act of seeing the film. Also I don't know if other people have this problem too but it's hard enough organising groups of people to coordinate on times as it is without also having to match with a movie's schedule.

This seems like it would work better in someone's living room with a DVD.

Princess Peach needs arms to smack Mario upside his head after he consistently goes to the wrong castle. Also for other Peachy stuff.

Real question: What possible role would Wachu-Peachu have in a game, considering Princess Peach doesn't do shit to begin with? Maybe she trolls Mario by saving herself and the game ends after world 1-1?

Maybe Mario accidentally kidnaps her and has to give her back to Bowser.

Wapeach kidnaps Mario and Wario.  This forces Luigi and Waluigi to team up and save the day. 

I knew Yoshi had a Shadow the Hedgehog equivalent! 

Are you suggesting that Boshi is a contender for the Ultimate Lifeform?