Udvarnoky

Day of the Tentacle Special Edition

It's probably appropriate in the case of Monkey Island, as it is a Lucas product and follows the Lucas definition of Special Edition - add a bunch of CG over a surprisingly analog original work, and trample the subtle original intent and tone of most scenes in the process.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:mrt:

(Sorry I always want to click the weirder smilies whenever I use one here.)

IMHO that HD paintover that BigJKO posted would be sweet. That's pretty close to what my brain remembers the game looking like. It seems that's not what we'll get, though :(

Hey, everybody remember Mixnmojo?  It is reporting that Double Fine will be given the assets for the DOTT: SE that LucasArts Singapore was developing so that they can see if any of it is worth salvaging.  Turns out it might very well be.

My opinion?  If they offer classic mode, and if the soundtrack is as well done as was the case with all of these remakes thus far, the price of admission is justified before we even consider the merit of the new art.  Also, I'll be ecstatic if they can find the original voice files.

That's info from the Double Fine forums, and it is legit. As I understand it, they don't yet know what they are going to use. If Double Fine doesn't like what Singapore did with the backgrounds, they're throwing it out. Same goes for animation. If they find themselves able to finish what LA Singapore begun - and rumor has it that they were VERY far along - we may get an actual Special Edition.

...yes, "Special Edition" mostl likely by the definition of LucasArts as reiterated by Jake. : (

But all is not lost before we actually see those creations. Damn, I wish DF gave us a look into their cards just now.

Yeah, one DF guy said he liked what he had seen so far of the Singapore stuff, which worries me a bit. Judging from the quality of the MI SEs, I'd much rather DF started from scratch rather than finished off another Lucasarts SE.

Monkey Island 2 was showing great improvement, on the other hand.

Anyway, I think we can trust Double Fine to not carry over bad work.  But if time and money was already spent on a DOTT update effort, they'd be stupid not to take a look.

Monkey Island 2 was showing great improvement, on the other hand.

Probably, yes. But they still were drawing with a computer over hand painted background art. Plenty of sacrilege there. ;)

They can't possibly top the original art, but they don't need to so long as the F5 key does what it's done for the previous efforts.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

I've never played all of Day of the Tentacle (just messed around with the opening area), so this is the most exciting of these remakes for me.

I just remembered Double Fine had a DOTT Beauty Contest.... Not many people participated, but at least Kerraldine, the best Lucasarts cosplay, managed to win the prize!

Really, nobody was willing to put pasta on their head for some DOTT merch? I didn't participate because I assumed I would lose to any American with access to a costume shop, so I just told Kerry about it, and I guess nobody thought they could top her Laverne cosplay... Oops?  :wacko:

The only thing different is that it doesn't have the 'sharpness' of the pixelated graphics, but really they are almost identical I'm not sure how you could complain.

Next time I play it I'll definitely be playing this version. Add it to the list!

There's something off about it. I'm not a fan.

I'm with you on this, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on why. I've been looking at the screenshots for a while and nothing much sticks out as obviously wrong. It seems that the backgrounds have some shading to them and the characters look flatter, but I don't remember if that was the case for the original game or not. Is it possible that the lack of visible pixels makes the flat colors look weirder?

It looks like an emulator shader effect that 'sharpens' all the pixels. It never really looks good because the character designs and backgrounds were all designed to the pixel grid.