Udvarnoky

Day of the Tentacle Special Edition

It's true!  First things first: woot, OMG, !!!!  whaaaaaaaaat? :D:D:D:D

So, interesting that Double Fine is calling this "Special Edition" as opposed to Grim's "Remastered."  This suggests a more fundamental upgrade a la the Monkey Islands (I know "upgrade" is debatable in that case, but you get my point).

I forget, were the backgrounds for this scanned from Peter Chan drawings, Monkey Island 2 style?  I wonder if they could go back to his concept art:

full20040606182810.jpg

It'd probably be setting myself up for disappointment, but if they are going to do substantial upgrading here I would *love* it if they put in Chan's original artwork.

I'm really excited to see how far they'll go with this, considering they're calling it a 'Special Edition'

Oh, and as was the case with Grim Fandango, due to this news coming from a Sony event this is being sold as a PS4 and Vita "exclusive" but this is obviously also coming to PC, Mac and Linux.

Oh, and as was the case with Grim Fandango, due to this news coming from a Sony event this is being sold as a PS4 and Vita "exclusive" but this is obviously also coming to PC, Mac and Linux.

The Shacknews write-up states that it's coming to PC, Mac and Linux.

what if every character has special edition guybrush hair

That team doesn't exist anymore.

Assuming this is what will happen, redoing all of the animations to be higher res is going to be a bitch. I think Tim Schafer needs to hire Chris Remo back for sound, because I was recently watching the Thumbs' Twitch with the LA games and Chris was hilariously getting annoyed at all of the canned sound effects.

Where is any info on this? The most I see is a twitter pictures. I'm lazy and going to bed.

It'd be cool if someone just repainted all the everythings to look like Peter Chan's ever so slightly more detailed and subtle rendering style of his concept art.

Maybe they can get Peter Chan? It's not clear to me who is doing this but it seems to be Double Fine, right? So maybe some of the Broken Age staff?

Nice vector art sounds like a great idea. Then it can be rereleased for decades to come, just like Another World.

I don't care if they just port ScummVM and run that on a PS4 and VITA. I HAVE A MIGHTY NEED!

Besides, it's already looking amazing:

sz8umtfp0uungkvzwxej.jpg

I doubt they'd be able to find the original voice recordings. Hopefully they just leave that alone in such a case.

Double Fine has Peter Chan on speed dial. I'm hoping they just give him the correct combination of money and time and he emerges from his island with every frame of cel animation representing every scene of the game in 35mm. Double Fine will scan it and reproduce the game Dragon's Lair style.

Man. Excellent cosplay. If I saw that at a convention I would want to give a thousand hi-fives.

This is basically what I imagine a Special Edition looking like in my head:

day_of_the_tentacle_hd_repaint_full_by_b

And this is what I imagine LucasArts cancelled Special Edition looked like, considering they were doing the same 3D model characters like in Monkey Island: SE....

DotT_All_In_One_by_PositiveDope.jpg

This is basically what I imagine a Special Edition looking like in my head:

And this is what I imagine LucasArts cancelled Special Edition looked like, considering they were doing the same 3D model characters like in Monkey Island: SE....

That HD paintover's nice and all but, as these things so often are, it's very flat and lifeless. I'd love to see hand-painted Peter Chan backgrounds, maintaining the Chuck Jonesy style.

If the Lucasarts SE were to look anywhere near that, I'm glad it got cancelled!

That HD paintover's nice and all but, as these things so often are, it's very flat and lifeless. I'd love to see hand-painted Peter Chan backgrounds, maintaining the Chuck Jonesy style.

I see what you mean, but I'd rather it look like this (extremely faithful to the original artwork, which in turn maybe looks a bit flat in HD) rather than them trying to be creative about it and adding things that never were there (texture, etc. or what the MI:SEs looked like)

But I'd love to see Peter Chan's hand-painted stuff and they already WORK with him and I'd love to see what he would do with it now (if they don't actually have the original artwork anymore)

I'm guessing Double Fine will have access to any DOTT:SE assets that LucasArts (Singapore) had come up with in the event that they're worth poaching or looking at.

I see what you mean, but I'd rather it look like this (extremely faithful to the original artwork, which in turn maybe looks a bit flat in HD) rather than them trying to be creative about it and adding things that never were there (texture, etc. or what the MI:SEs looked like)

As long as they include the original version (which hopefully they will), I'd rather they did something more interesting even if it's not wholly successful. I felt like the MI:SE's had the same (and many more!) problems as this paintover...

I think it's safe to assume it will have the "retro" button to switch and since both versions have voice acting, you could just play the retro mode.

As long as they include the original version (which hopefully they will), I'd rather they did something more interesting even if it's not wholly successful. I felt like the MI:SE's had the same (and many more!) problems as this paintover...

Oh, wow really? I agree I hope they do something interesting with it, but I think this HD repaint does it brilliantly. MI just added all kinds of shit, textures, gradients, repainted shapes so they looked nothing like the former shapes. This is just 1:1 color-wise, gradient-wise and shape-wise. It's not interesting, but it looks completely faithful. MI fundamentally changed a lot of shapes so they suddenly made no sense at all, sharp object were suddenly blurry messes.

Of course, I agree that this repaint doesn't look like Peter Chan's original artwork, but neither did the actual game because of obvious limitations. I think I'd rather have something that looked like that than them fucking it up completely. But if they decide to something super cool but different I'd have no problem with that. And I have full faith in them doing it well, actually.

It's just after they super ugly MI stuff, I just want something that faithfully upres-es what's already there, if they're not going to do anything interesting with it.

So.... I agree, except I think the repaint looks brillo.

EDIT: To clarify EVEN FURTHER, I think of that picture as what it'd look like if Peter Chan wasn't making this Special Edition. Like.. a best case scenario of if an outsider would make this. But since Peter Chan is probably, definately, maybe working on this I just want his art, his vision all the way! That'll be brillo stuff. And look nothing like that repaint, because it'd be amazing.

I agree I hope they do something interesting with it, but I think this HD repaint does it brilliantly.

It just makes it look all waxy and smooth at the expense of detail, like when a movie studio gets so overzealous with the noise reduction filters that they wind up putting out a Blu-ray for Patton that has no film grain.

But there's no more detail in the original game? In Chan's artwork, for sure, but it's entirely faithful to the screen as it is in-game. (Which MI:SE was not at all, is my point)

You could probably honestly solve any perceived lack of noise or texture by literally introducing some noise or a subtle texture on top. A light grain goes a long way.

I don't think Peter Chan does final production art anymore - he's just a concept and idea guy, by choice, as far as I can tell - so I wouldn't get my hopes up for him painting backgrounds for the game.

Assuming they're going down the "redo assets in HD" route at all, I hope this game looks exactly like DOTT with some "filling in the details," but hopefully beyond that it's left alone. In motion it won't need more than that. Especially once camera scrolling is smooth, ambience and music are pumped up, etc.

PS: if this project means we get a live, McConnell-directed, old cartoon style symphonic performance of the DOTT theme, then it's worth it regardless of anything else.

PS: if this project means we get a live, McConnell-directed, old cartoon style symphonic performance of the DOTT theme, then it's worth it regardless of anything else.

Oh wow, I hadn't even thought of that. :tup: :tup:

I felt the same way about the Monkey Island remakes.  The music alone justifies their existence, as does their ancillary function as a re-release for two classic out-of-print games (thanks to classic mode).

Except vertical scrolling got lost!

Stewed on this for a bit...

As far as wanting new or interesting art goes, I think that wanting to get new art and new style out of a DOTT remake is kind of people wanting a new game. If DF/Sony have to go the route of redoing art, I hope that it is as invisible as possible to new and old players, or they should probably call it something else or make something new.

If it's a remix or new interpretation I hope they go somewhere really different with it and try to say or do something unique with the work.

If it's literally just an up-res, I don't want to feel that at all. I want it to be "oh this is Day of the Tentacle, exactly as I remember it (or exactly what I'd been told for 20 years), but I didn't know it was so crisp before." (Maybe that feeling is achieved by a little extra grain or invented detail, but it's probably not made by art style shifts e.g. introducing Chan's original ink and paint shading from his tone pieces.)

I think anywhere in the middle of those two points will almost surely be muddled and not really benefit the game or players. As always, I'd be happy to be totally wrong here and be surprised as hell by a "different looking" DOTT made different just because, I guess, but to me it seems like a strange route to take.