melmer

Playstation Experience is live (Uncharted 4, other video games, maybe even the last guardian... Lol nope)

I guess I have just never felt I benefited from 60 fps, so I don't see the point of getting mad about it. I don't play FPS or racing games ever though. I suppose it's fine if 60fps exists, but almost my whole life games have ran around 30 so I don't really see it more than a box that gets ticked for people to complain.

Yep, it's a bit silly. Of course 60 fps is better, but Uncharted games are usually very polished when it comes to framerates. Also you can't have it all, it's unreasonable these big and detailed open areas at 1080p and 60 fps, I imagine it must be hard as fuck.

Anyway, I thought the demo looked amazing, so so pretty, and the level design definitely took a step up when compared to the other games. So satisfying to see the more varied combat sections. Can't wait!

With the inclusion of waist height shrubbery (depending on how much they use it) stealth will play a lot larger part.

I hope the stealth is implemented well as in games like this I always feel like a failure when I'm spotted and it turns in to an all out gun fight. That big area in the ships grave yard in U3 for example, there's no way to get through it with being spotted at some point then it just becomes all out carnage with no let up until everyone's dead. Seems as though the baddies in U4 lowered their alert status after a little while, that's a big plus for me.

Uncharted 3 was definitely a step back in that respect. You could get through almost all of Uncharted 2 stealthily, especially if you played the whole game with the tranquilliser darts. It's just not possible to do that in UC3, which combined with the inability to escape the 'alert mode' makes trying to play it stealthily really frustrating. It's delightful to see that UC4 is finally stepping forward with this aspect of the game properly.

A big open question for me is whether or not this game will mostly take place in one location. I believe that a huge part of UC2 and UC3 being much better games than the original is that they felt like a true Indiana Jones globe-trotting adventure, whereas Uncharted 1 obviously just took place in a huge jungle environment and it all felt very monotonous after a while even if individual areas were beautifully rendered. Sure the gameplay was improved, but it wasn't that different. The real magic came from the variety of environments and insane shit that happened to them.

If Naughty Dog follows its highly successful formula then I'd expect what we see in the gameplay footage thus far to just be from the game's prologue, with much different environments coming along later. Who knows, though.

The tranquilliser darts were only present for one tiny section of Uncharted 2 if I remember correctly.

Also I kind of liked as a concept that Uncharted 1 took place in more or less a single location with the story occasionally backtracking through previous areas with altered entry/exit objectives and conditions. In practice though it did get a bit monotonous as you say.

That grappling hook/swing looked pretty neat and showcased that great balance between emergent gameplay and scripted elements that Naughty Dog does so well. I might have even said "holy crap" out loud. More temptation to get get a PS4 eventually.

Uncharted 3 was definitely a step back in that respect. You could get through almost all of Uncharted 2 stealthily, especially if you played the whole game with the tranquilliser darts. It's just not possible to do that in UC3, which combined with the inability to escape the 'alert mode' makes trying to play it stealthily really frustrating. It's delightful to see that UC4 is finally stepping forward with this aspect of the game properly.

It seemed like you could play pretty stealthily up until the last act. I know I try to play them not getting caught because I really don't want to deal with aiming guns and I like punchan.

It can't all take place on this island, as beautiful as it is it would get boring really fast.

Perhaps the game will have a duel time line? Is this set in the past... Although Nathan looks older hmm. Having Nathan and a previously unheard of brother together makes me feeling these events happened 'previously', as the first trailer had a voice over talking about betrayal and being left on the island

Okay okay okay. That must be Troy Baker playing Drakes brother. There'll be time leaps for sure as I'm sure they'll let you play this moment from 15 years ago. The footage shown yesturday must be present day after Nate's bro has miraculously come back from the dead.

Perhaps there'll have lots of '15 years ago' missions all over the world, building the relationship you once had with your brother, to make it more meaningful when he fucks you in the present. Perhaps your'll even play as Nates brother in these missions, get different perspective. You're playing as him as you're buried alive and left by your older brother. Edit my mistake, younger brother. Nathan is the younger brother

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, haven't noticed it before, Mington. I really don't think they will be focused on one place only, even though that island is big as fuck.

About the island, I must say I'm super impressed with the lots of vegetation they have there. It seemed very natural and not just green texture with some leaves in it, there's also plenty of plants on the rocks he climbs. Looks great.

Yeah is it weird that the foliage is the best thing in those videos? I keep being amazed by... plants. 

I'm a gameplay-first kinda guy but can't deny that Uncharted always gets me with its visual effects. The first time I walked through water and saw Nathan's trousers staying wet I was happy. This foliage is having the same effect on me. 

Their waterfall tech has made a huge jump as well. (About 1min into the gameplay video)

I don't think it's weird, I like examining the foliage in games and will give them "bonus points" if it's diverse enough. 

The tranquilliser darts were only present for one tiny section of Uncharted 2 if I remember correctly.

After you complete the game you can replay it with the tranquilliser gun available throughout, which for me gave the game a whole new lease of life because while you can get through a lot of UC2 without alerting enemies, it can be ridiculously time-consuming and frustrating to do so due to the lack of an enemy cooldown mechanic like you might find in Metal Gear Solid. Having the transquiliser darts really nudges the game towards being a great stealth game rather than an OK one.

UC3 kind of stepped back on the stealth mostly because it was more of a never-ending string of set pieces than UC2 was, with less big arenas full of enemies to tackle however you saw fit. And when it did include them, they were so huge (e.g. castle, pirate shipyard) that one alert would leave you fucked due to the enemies never truly cooling down. UC2 broke things up into smaller chunks so that you'd soon work your way past a mob of angry enemies.

I saw someone on Twitter (I forget who) say that The Order is missing a golden opportunity by not have a special edition pre-order and calling it The Pre-Order.

Something about having employees working under "new conditions" for a long delayed project sounds really ominous to me.

Those leaked documents in the recent Sony hack don't paint a great picture about their movie/marketing divisions, hopefully their games division isn't as terrible.

Who am I kidding, this is Sony we're talking about, they store passwords in plaintext, corporate screwing with The Last Guardian they can do in their sleep.