Sign in to follow this  
SecretAsianMan

2015: Year of the PS3... and Back to the Future II

The future is almost here!  That magical year where the true potential of the PS3 will finally be unlocked!  I can't wait until all those amazing PS3 games are revealed.  Also hoverboards, flying cars, self-lacing shoes, self-adjusting and auto-drying jackets, double neckties, etc.  The future is going to be amazing.

But seriously, the new year is almost upon us.  It might be a bit early but I'm making a resolution next year to finally get off my butt and make a game.  Most likely a piece of shit game, but a game nonetheless.  What about everyone else?  Any thoughts on this coming year?  Hopes?  Fears?

I love that yearoftheps3.info is still using the Spider-Man font from the first version of the PS3.

Persona 5 is coming out on the PS3 in 2015, so it might be the year I finally get one. Year of the PS3 confirmed.

Persona 5 is a pretty great reason it could actually be the Year of the PS3.

For me, 2015 is the year that I really want to get my career solidified. I've been on two temporary contracts so far and spent some time as a substitute teacher, but the contract I'm on right now could actually transition into a permanent contract that will have me set for the next (nearly) 40 years. Like, this is a huge year for me professionally and as my change from student to adult. I'm turning 27 two weeks before 2015 starts, and if I can maintain things I may be set until retirement by the time the year ends. Keeping those goals attainable but high, I want/need this contract to transition, give me my full teacher career, and set me up until I either choose to retire or do something other than teach. 2015 could either be my best ever year or my biggest letdown. Fingers crossed.

(Also, if I do get my contract transitioned and am financially secure, it's time to get a new car to replace the one I bought off my mum when I was a teenager and is starting to get old and busted)

Hey, I know I've got more of my shit together than most 27 year olds, but that doesn't mean I can't hope to make the next step, right?

miffy's post has inspired me to derail this thread into talking about what we hope for 2015. Yes, it will be the Year of the PS3, but what events will sit under the PS3's shadow?

For me, 2015 will see me completing the first year of my MA and likely deciding whether I want to continue on and get my PhD or go to teacher's college or do something else. I'm expecting it to be a good one though: I'm starting to feel comfortable in Ottawa (psychologically if not physically - it's fucking cold) and I love my program and the people in it.

miffy's post has inspired me to derail this thread into talking about what we hope for 2015. Yes, it will be the Year of the PS3, but what events will sit under the PS3's shadow?

Sorry, I was under the impression that SAM's intent with this thread was to post our own hopes for the new year. I may have taken it too seriously?

Sorry, I was under the impression that SAM's intent with this thread was to post our own hopes for the new year. I may have taken it too seriously?

My intent with this thread was for it to go wherever it goes.  If we want to talk about 2015, great.  If we want to talk about the Year of the PS3, also great.  Serious, not serious, whatever.  There are no wrong posts.  Unless Twig shows up.

I wanna talk about 2016 instead.

January 2016: a Nintendo Direct. Iwata is speaking onscreen while text slowly appears one letter at a time, like the opening titles for "Alien" 

P

"You may remember that in 2010, we celebrated the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.; in 2011, we celebrated the 25th anniversary of Zelda; and in 2012, we celebrated the 20th anniversary of Kirby."

P     N

"We would like you to join us in 2016 as we celebrate another major milestone for one of our most beloved series."

P K  N

"We realize that they may not be as old as Mario, Zelda, or Kirby; but we'd like to personally thank you for welcoming these creatures into your hearts all the same."

P K M N

"That's why in 2016, we're going to be celebrating the anniversary of..."

*music abruptly shifts tone as the last few letters quickly appear to spell "PIKMIN"*

"Oh."

...They share an anniversary, you see.

I am not good at jokes.

I would be totally into a year of Pikmin. Much as I enjoy Pokemon, I have more fun with Pikmin.

I am hoping that 2015 is the year that I move to Washington State and try my luck there. It will also register this account's 10 year anniversary at the Idle Thumbs forum (I think). A decade of only ever having been a contributiing member to one forum.

In regards to moving nothing is clear yet, but here is to hoping.

2015 might also be the year that I get rid of the PS3 I bought 3 years ago - I use it so infrequently, so year of the PS3 it is!

I entirely thought that the point was that it'd be Pikmin. My brain entirely skipped the part where Pokémon fit in there.

My 2015 year of the PS3 is pretty uncertain? I'm going to be finishing a programming course and then... working? Freelancing in a much more profitable field? Games!? Whatever it is, I hope I'm financially more stable. I also may be moving to an entirely different country, so there's that too.

Also if all goes to plan I'll have done the one game a week challenge to completion by the end of November.

Busy year.

I kinda assumed that this thread would be for New Year's Resolutions and such. I'm doing a resolution that is going to be very hard to keep but will at least get my year started right - no non-essential purchases for myself over $50 until I've paid off at least 2/3 of my credit card debt. I was told recently that clearing debt is hard if there's no secondary goal in reach - it's easy to say "debt is bad and I should fix that", but it's easier and more motivational to say "debt is bad and I should fix that because it also gets me..."

I guess to be serious about it, I realized this year (read: my therapist told me this year) that I'm not very kind to myself. I want to change that. I've already started doing this a little bit, but I want to go further. For my entire adult life, I thought I was just really socially awkward about 50% of the time for arbitrary reasons -- but it turns out that I just turn into myself when I'm uncomfortable around people or in a situation, and all I need to do is not be around that person/those people/that place and I'm not awkward at all. I still have social anxieties and all, but re-framing what I'm experiencing not as awkwardness but discomfort lets me think of the experience in a way that doesn't lend itself to me telling myself that I'm a worthless fuck up which ends up making the anxiety less... bad...? Basically, ever since I left my last really fucking awful relationship, my mental health has been improving in leaps and bounds and I really want to continue down that road. And all it takes is not telling yourself you're worth less than the contents of a McDonald's dumpster! Who knew!

That and actually apply to grad schools, which is gonna be way fun since I've been out of school for 2 years and I'll be applying to programs in the humanities when all my degrees are STEM degrees. Hahahahahahorrifying!

Any predictions for 2015's standout celebrity death? I'm thinking Bill Murray.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Don't even joke about that.

Why do you want me to cry tegan! Why?!

He will live forever and keep doing a movie role her and there as he pleases and crash parties here and there as he pleases. And grow older and even wiser.