SecretAsianMan

Tacoma from Fullbright

Looks awesome!

I took a minute to transcribe the (wonderfully animated) fingerspelled password. For those interested, it's  

provenance451

Not sure if that has any significance, but I think that's the first time I've seen sign language in a game and it's really cool.

Looks awesome!

I took a minute to transcribe the (wonderfully animated) fingerspelled password. For those interested, it's  

provenance451

Not sure if that has any significance, but I think that's the first time I've seen sign language in a game and it's really cool.

(0)451 is the Looking Glass password. Many games have referenced it for door codes and combination locks as a nod to System Shock and the old Looking Glass lineage.

Also, I think Steve has it tattooed on his arm.

Am I the only one who's extremely bothered that this space station only 13 years in the future is spacious as hell?

I think she said 2088, not 2028?

I think she said 2088, not 2028?

I'm not sure how I misheard that. At least it's humanly possible then, but it still bothers me. Not because I find it implausible that humans could create such a space station, but because I doubt they would. Putting stuff into space is crazy expensive, space stations should endeavour to minimize mass, which means no huge empty hallways. For me, it undermines the sense that it's a real place, because I always find myself asking "Why is this built this way?" and answering "Because it was built by game designers out of pixels, not by engineers out of metal."

Sweet trailer. I love the range of body types they tried to show off here too even with the limited way of representing people.

Man, that game looks like an update of Starship Titanic more and more, even if it is, in actuality, a very different game. 

(I'm also highly skeptical of us having space stations, even in 60-70 years. It's unlikely we can pull our human heads out of our asses long enough to realize a dream like this.)

(I'm also highly skeptical of us having space stations, even in 60-70 years. It's unlikely we can pull our human heads out of our asses long enough to realize a dream like this.)

Well we have the ISS already. By 2088 even the extreme pessimists must expect us to have another space station. We'll never see a place like Tacoma, not because of organizational problems, but because it would be cheaper to build a solid gold Disneyland than to put something that spacious into orbit. Until the distant sci-fi future of fusion-powered launches or outright teleporters, things in space will be cramped for cost reasons.

Jokes aside, I'm really excited. Curious if they're going to do another first-person exploration game like Gone Home or if they're just using that as a base and building on it. Maybe something else entirely. Eager to see it.

Read this as "using that as a base building.." And had a moment of unbelievable vistas opening up in my brain as I imagined crafting a base filled with interior spaces that cause mobs to investigate and dally in them. Like turret defense where instead of guns you have Gone Home rooms.

Challenge yourself to make the enemy engage in soul-searching! 

Ahah! The alien has paused to gently grasp a photo of a lost child, you gain 5 seconds!

Seriously, so so excited. And that login method, ungh, why haven't I seen that before?

Well we have the ISS already. By 2088 even the extreme pessimists must expect us to have another space station. We'll never see a place like Tacoma, not because of organizational problems, but because it would be cheaper to build a solid gold Disneyland than to put something that spacious into orbit. Until the distant sci-fi future of fusion-powered launches or outright teleporters, things in space will be cramped for cost reasons.

At least not until we have a way to manufacture materials already in space, or get what we need from the moon or asteroids whose low gravity would make getting the materials up from the surface a lot cheaper. I'm inclined to believe we'll have a limited form of a replicator long before we'll have teleporters.

Of course, there's always people with more money than sense that might be willing to pay for luxury in the stars once a certain intersection of price and comfort is reached.

For whatever reason I thought Tacoma was coming out next year anyway, so I'm not really bummed out about this news.

Reviews have started to appear. Going to look for purchasing Tacoma for sure, though I may have to wait a bit.

Oh wow, there's so incredibly much attention to detail in Tacoma, even more than in Gone Home.

I laughed so much when I saw a reference to Finland.

I liked the experience quite a bit. Playing and rewinding video logs is a surprisingly fun mechanic. I wasn't as absorbed by the story as with Gone Home, but it was still good. I felt that this game was the exact right length too.

18 hours ago, Kolzig said:

I laughed so much when I saw a reference to Finland.

What was that? I might have missed it.

The ananas (pine apple) lonkero long drink cans. Only Finnish people call long drink lonkero. Also it didn't say alcohol on the can, but alkoholi.

I don't remember exactly this for a fact, but I think long drink itself is invented by Hartwall in Finland, for the 1952 olympic games?