SecretAsianMan

Tacoma from Fullbright

My thoughts:

1) Holy cow Fullbright is making a game set on the Starship Titanic

2) I really want the genesis of this game to be where Steve had an entire game planned out, with the relationships, and the story, and he realized that the setting didn't matter so much, so he put it on a space station, and the game is not even about the space station, or space, at all. 

3) "WC?" Wait is this part where the fancy space station toilet is

1gUzezo.jpg

I'm kind of hoping it's about small town America in space, in the sense of science fiction focussed on people in a substantially different situation, rather than gadgets/stars/physics.

(I'm mean I'm already pretty sure a Fullbright game won't be about laser guns and space opera, but maybe you know what I mean; SF is far too often about that shit and not the actually interesting things).

My thoughts:

1) Holy cow Fullbright is making a game set on the Starship Titanic

2) I really want the genesis of this game to be where Steve had an entire game planned out, with the relationships, and the story, and he realized that the setting didn't matter so much, so he put it on a space station, and the game is not even about the space station, or space, at all. 

3) "WC?" Wait is this part where the fancy space station toilet is

I also noticed the strong Starship Titanic influence!  Which is not a bad thing at all, at least from a design standpoint.  I don't remember much about the game, but I know I played through it years ago.  I think I ended up using a walkthru for quite a bit though, as I wasn't in the mood for that kind of puzzle solving. 

I'm just stoked to be playing a game in a space station where you have to deal with microgravity. So good.

I thought it stood for 'Washrooms, Cancer'. 

Cause the future is super prejudiced.

In all seriousness, can't wait to see the full game. But as well, does anyone else have the feeling that the footage shown was all that was even close to being publicly releasable. As in, if they even turned the camera any more than they did, then we would be hit with a face full of un-textured geometry. Nothing wrong with that, but if that is the case then it seems like it'll be a long wait for 'Gone Home 2 Space'. 

The only thing I can ever think about when I read Tacoma is the joke about it being the name of Yo-yo Ma's mexican sibling, and then I just feel bad about myself. Thanks for the unhappiness, Fullbright.

But it does look awesome, yes.

The only thing I can ever think about when I read Tacoma is the joke about it being the name of Yo-yo Ma's mexican sibling, and then I just feel bad about myself. Thanks for the unhappiness, Fullbright.

As a side-effect of studying Engineering, the only think I can ever think about when I read 'Tacoma' is the Tacoma Narrows bridge disaster. Which really isn't a good thing, seeing as I recently moved to Seattle and now live about 35 miles from there.

tacoma-bridge-o.gif

As a side-effect of studying Engineering, the only think I can ever think about when I read 'Tacoma' is the Tacoma Narrows bridge disaster. Which really isn't a good thing, seeing as I recently moved to Seattle and now live about 35 miles from there.

tacoma-bridge-o.gif

Someone didn't carry the Taylor series out far enough.

As a fellow Seatle thumb, who used to occasionally work in Gig Harbor over the bridge, I have to run-on say that looks terrifying.

tacoma-bridge-o.gif

I'm just stoked to be playing a game in a space station where you have to deal with microgravity. So good.

I read this as misogyny at first!

Somebody call the Gaming Police, looks like we have another walking simulator on our hands.

I... I can't say anything else than I love it. It's a space station, we have a vantage point to Earth, there's a WC, the Virgin-Tesla company... 

tacoma-bridge-o.gif

As a side effect of not understanding engineering at all, I'm extra terrified by this. How can cement bend so much?

Someone didn't carry the Taylor series out far enough.

Ha! 

Engineering. So practical. So ugly. 

As a side effect of not understanding engineering at all, I'm extra terrified by this. How can cement bend so much?

Eigenfrequency. (or natural frequency).

It can break everything.

So you know the old trope of opera singers being able to break glasses with just the right note? What's supposed to be happening there is that the sound waves are hitting the right frequency to make the glass vibrate, and at that frequency the vibrations aren't dampened by the sound waves coming in.

Those kind of vibrations can be set up in basically anything, with the right kind of constant force. With the Tacoma Narrows bridge, the force was wind. Every time the bridge moved, it made it easier for the wind to push the bridge harder.

(Technically what brought down the bridge was flutter rather than sympathetic vibrations - basically, the wind didn't have to be at just the right speed to set up the vibrations - but I don't understand flutter so I'm not going to explain it.)

I am excited that Fullbright has partnered with Toyota to make a game about a Toyota Tacoma, the rugged highland vehicle able to cross the Tacoma Narrows bridge even under the most severe harmonic frequency disturbances.

So you know the old trope of opera singers being able to break glasses with just the right note? What's supposed to be happening there is that the sound waves are hitting the right frequency to make the glass vibrate, and at that frequency the vibrations aren't dampened by the sound waves coming in.

Those kind of vibrations can be set up in basically anything, with the right kind of constant force. With the Tacoma Narrows bridge, the force was wind. Every time the bridge moved, it made it easier for the wind to push the bridge harder.

(Technically what brought down the bridge was flutter rather than sympathetic vibrations - basically, the wind didn't have to be at just the right speed to set up the vibrations - but I don't understand flutter so I'm not going to explain it.)

Okay, that makes sense. So I guess engineering just makes me more terrified in this case rather than less.

I'm also just going to speculate:

Will this game include an examination of the Tacoma (or Hilux, as it is known in some countries) as the light truck of choice of revolutionary forces around the world due to its light frame, ease of maintenance and relative efficiency?

Will this game include a plot line where actions compound upon each other over and over until a resonant frequency is reached and the entire structure of society breaks down?

Will this game feature a struggling mariachi musician, jealous of his brother for his classical music success?

Will this game feature ghosts?

I'm confident all these will be proven true.

Tacoma Original Electronic Soundtrack, or TOES

Music, Instrumentation and Sound From and Inspired By Tacoma (or Music InSpired by Fullbright Interactive's Tacoma, but this one's less clean)

Mildly hot scoops on RPS:

Steve Gaynor: I don’t want to spoil anything but I will say I don’t think it would be a Fullbright game without flushable toilets, and I would be comfortable saying, as a totally side-comment, that space toilets might be the final frontier of game interactivity.