melmer

STREET FIGHTER 5 (PS4/PC exclusive)

When the fuck did this happen :0 I guess we'll get more at either the video game awards or the PS4 event that happening over the weekend.

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/12/street-fighter-v-for-ps4-pc-teaser.html

That footage of Ryu vs Chun Li fighting in a street at night time must be from the new game.

There's already a 70+ page thread on gaf :) I turn my back for one minute

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=945721

Loads of images/jifs/video in here

How or why would they do pay to win? Did they say it would be free to play? I'm sure there must be a fighter with a league of legends type character system, but I don't know of any big names that would do that.

Well, like 6 months back there was a translated comment from some senior capcom staff which mentioned "lowing the bar of entry" and "allowing useless shits to be able to compete with high level players"

Ah it got discredited thank god

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/11/street-fighter-5-will-not-be-pay-to-win-yoshinori-ono-responds-to-reports/

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/jun/11/capcom-looking-developing-street-fighter-5-ps4-and-xbox-one-focusing-helping-beginners-considering-pay-advantage-models/

I assume the exclusivity will be on this vanilla version and when SUPER Street Fighter V launches it'll be across all platforms. The updates tend to be released yearly.... That's if they will continue to use the same model they have previously. I kinda hope not, I'd absolutely love it if they released a new character like every 2 months.

This is the best! But also I need to drop three figures on a PS4 stick now because capitalism, I can't see them bothering to make PS3 ones compatible now.

Presumably this was supposed to be released tomorrow at the Sony event but it's Capcom Cup next week too which if you're not a massive fucking nerd might be unaware is the culmination of a year-long Street Fighter tournament series Capcom have been doing for a couple of years now, meaning they must surely be planning some kind of side event at it since they'll already have all the top players there. Hype indeed. I want to see and know lots about this.

I'd absolutely love it if they released a new character like every 2 months.

Noooooo. Part of the reason IV is my favourite game of last generation by a mile is because they didn't do this and it allowed the community the time needed to eek every little bit of potential from every character there, that wouldn't happen if you change the roster every month.

I know I know, it'll be terrible for tournament play etc. it's just me being selfish. I was so fucking hyped before street fighter 4, I used check event hubs everyday and every time they'd reveal a new character I'd lose my shit. Was the fuck is a Hakan!? I'm just imaging this time round every couple of months they'd reveal and release a new character :) would be so good

Anyway, I'm all in baby. Season pass. 3 figure fightstick. The works.

Indeed. And years later still nobody knows what a "Hakan" is, only that it's terrifying and exciting whenever you see someone select it on purpose.

All I want is four new characters minimum and the return of parries or something similar that negates all damage and can be used in the air. And for Oro, Q and Urien to come back. Maybe three selectable ultras for everyone would be nice. And a release date this side of summer pls Ono-San.

Someone remarked that in from that small amount of footage you can see that Ryu has two different stances. So maybe this time around you'll be able to switch fighting 'modes' on the fly. Which seems to be quite trendy lately. Seems as though Capcom has been testing the water with the latest version of SF4, giving all the characters an 'omega' mode with a different move set. Mortal kombat is doing something similar, each character has 3 different fighting styles.

Maybe the logic behind it is that some people... A lot of people, will main one character (Ryu/Ken) and one character only. Giving that character a different mode with a slightly different move sets will hopefully break them out of that, experiment a little. At least it'll make it move interesting for us having to fight them all the time.

So yeah, maybe one of the 'stances' will let you parry :tup:

I'm getting a strong SF3 vibe from the footage. That stage has Necro all over it :)

(Q sucked balls. I'd welcome him back only if he had entirely different moves ;) )

It's very interesting to me to note that another big fighting game is skipping the XBO. (It's not as if the 360 wasn't popular as a platform for fighting games, the divide between the PS3 and the 360 was pretty 50/50.)

Oof, my friend won't be happy about this. He only has an Xbox One and isn't into PC gaming. Just yesterday he said he wanted to get serious with Street Fighter.

This is the best! But also I need to drop three figures on a PS4 stick now because capitalism, I can't see them bothering to make PS3 ones compatible now.

So I don't know whether you saw this, but one of the programmers on skullgirls managed to make a patch that made ps3 sticks compatible with the ps4. It is in the skull lgirls ps4 edition, and was posted so that anyone can use it. I hope capcom use it in sfv.

Is it just me or did they just throw out everything that looked really good about IV?? I'm sure it's techincally more advanced, but it's lost ALL those wonderful colors, soft lighting that made it look great, IMO..

street-fighter-V-vs-Street-Figter-IV-com

Interesting breakdown from reddit

Interesting mechanics to note.

• A guard crush occurs. This has a lot of the FGC excited because SFIV is overly defensive.
  • OTG's and aerial combos. SFIV had neither. Combined with point 1 it seems like this is a huge push in the offense direction compared to IV, which recently added a mechanic that made you lie on the ground for a longer amount of time, because when you're flat on your back in SFIV you're literally invincible.
  • You can see from both this trailer and that funky trailer leak from before that there is some charge mechanic. There are no details as to what charging actually does, it could be anything from a KoF style meter-building mechanic, to something that is static and you have to stock to fuel EX moves (EX moves, costing meter, are better variations of your existing moves, such as that double fireball in this trailer). It could also be a refinement from Third Strikes taunt system, in which preforming a taunt (Personal Action) actually improved aspects of your character. Either way, this is another offensive push, as in pretty much every fighting game ever, you get meter for beating on someone, and know after some knockdown or knockback you get a moment to freely get SOMETHING.
  • Stage breaks. Chun kicks Ryu through the wall. This might be a cosmetic round ending effect, but is more likely the stage being extended once some threshold of corner pressure/damage is reached. This is pretty neat and a first for the SF series.
  • Lots of cancels. Normal into command normal into special is frequently showcased. This could just be for the trailer or a return of the magic series. Ryu just does crouching medium kick into super, this is significant.
  • Hard to tell from the trailers but the only long super 'flash' pre-attack is from Ryu. Chuns is very fast. I think it's likely that some supers won't actually cause the game to pause for 7 seconds while we look at a close up of some characters face before the move actually happens.
  • Back to 6, the cinematic effect with Ryu's startup that's absent from Chun's (and Ryu's earlier super fireball) is a bit ambiguous. It could be that this is yet another street fighter game with two meters, or that the cinematic component only triggers in specific situations, such as on a confirmed hit or part of a combo.
  • Can't see any defensive mechanic such as a parry, just defense, alpha counter, or a focus. This is a good thing and fits with the overall offensive nature of most of the other gameplay elements shown.

I'm mostly going to say this because there is now a large population of video gamers who have never played a fighting game without a focus attack, because dropping the focus attack is good for people who don't play fighting games, as well as those of us who do. For the newbies, they won't need to learn a whole arbitrary set of rules for what breaks, doesn't break, what can be canceled, can't be canceled, dashed out of, and a whole host of other funky separate-from-gameplay mechanics, and can just play the game and worry about other things, like spacing or footsies. For the actual SF players, we don't have to deal with every single defensive maneuver from the past three generations of fighting games being deluded and reduced to a singular defensive option triggered by pressing two buttons that isn't throw invincible and whose entire effectiveness is arbitrary from character to character (I love not having options because my characters focus is positive on hit). While I feel that if the game was going to include parries, it would have been featured predominantly in this trailer, it's also possible this game has no arbitrary 'mechanic' and just has something as simple as a universal roll command or a universal overhead command that's instantly understandable to everyone.
Either way it looks a lot faster than IV, being on the ground isn't safe, you can't block for days, and there's a meter-charging EX mechanic that's highly emphasized.

Just another 3d street fighter to ignore. Capcom needs to cultivate their art team to the point they have the manpower to put out an HD 2d game. The upfront cost would be high but it would be glorious.

I patiently await the reveals of next week, I'm really keen to see what the roster is for this. I'm not sure why that Reddit post is so keen for there to be no defensive options either as that's what makes Street Fighter Street Fighter and not Marvel or Guilty Gear or something else I don't like but again we'll need to see full matches to know and that probably won't be until Capcom Cup. I get that focus attacks are a bit silly but there's always a place for a skilful defensive option that lets you turn quickly into attack if you read your opponent right with it.

(Q sucked balls. I'd welcome him back only if he had entirely different moves ;) )

Q was pretty hype, don't make me fill this thread up with Kuroda videos. I genuinely liked him because he was enjoyably shite and looked like MF Doom in a trenchcoat and his dash punch into super was so slow it was about the only legit hit confirm I could pull off in 3S. He was a better bad character than Dan at any rate.

So I don't know whether you saw this, but one of the programmers on skullgirls managed to make a patch that made ps3 sticks compatible with the ps4. It is in the skull lgirls ps4 edition, and was posted so that anyone can use it. I hope capcom use it in sfv.

I did see this! Capcom are never going to use it when they could sell more licensed MadCatz sticks instead though, it's a shame.

I did see this! Capcom are never going to use it when they could sell more licensed MadCatz sticks instead though, it's a shame.

There's cross-play between the PC and PS4 versions, so if they don't allow the use of old sticks I'll probably just get it on PC (I may do that anyway).  I realize that isn't an option for everyone, so I hope they support PS3 sticks on it.

Capcom cup finals is happening right now over on twitch. Pretty hype

Also a live real time fighter of street fighter five will be happening in about 5 hours. Fingers crossed for new information

wygzts.gif

This is really cool, I think it may be a special blocking move. The attack animation is being stopped by the block

aazxm8.gif

Am I the only one who totally loves the meters UI? I really hope it's not placeholder because they're really clear to read, and are well designed (in a minimalist kinda way).

Oh and yeah, the rest of it looks good too. I'm interested in hearing the "official" breakdown of the new mechanics. I liked the focus mechanic from SFIV, I'd love to see a refined (less arbitrary) version return. Parries are cool to pull off, but I feel they would just slow the game down. And the demo matches definitely looked super fast paced (especially those meters!)

A faster SFIV with a greater emphasis on offensive play would make me very happy.