Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Assassins Creed: Syndicate - knees up mother brown

Well, I'm going to be honest, it looks pretty rough to me. The visuals seem like a step down from Unity, although that might be compounded by the fact that I find the architecture pretty unappealing in the first place. The wide-open roads don't do it any favours either, producing swathes of lifeless empty space that is basically only ever going to be a pain in the ass to traverse across on foot. The gameplay also looks like yet more of the same old shit, and I definitely wasn't seeing any super-exciting storyline that people will be talking about for generations to come. Do Ass Creed games even bother with story now, aside from 'these assholes hate those assholes so take them down before they ruin the world'?

Ugh the first gameplay footage has a goddamn chase sequence in it. I want your games to be good, Assassin's Creed!

My favourite bit is where he drops the pallet of barrels near a guy who then ragdolls himself to death.

Ugh the first gameplay footage has a goddamn chase sequence in it. I want your games to be good, Assassin's Creed!

Yeah thats when I lost interest as well. I have yet to even pick up unity or rogue as the haven't been on steam sale at a low price yet.

My favourite bit is where he drops the pallet of barrels near a guy who then ragdolls himself to death.

Gonna add on top of this: I think what's making this stand out to me is how fucking video gamey it is. There's this bit, the frequent reusal of character models (that's the same guy!), the NPC AI that doesn't react at all to your dude Cirque du Soleiling his way across the environment murdering dudes... it's a showcase of all the shit that takes me out of every other video game.

What's really weird is that even Assassin's Creed 2 wasn't this bad, which remains the last AC I truly got into. At the very least, you'd have the civilian NPCs saying something reactionary as you leap around rather than just standing there as if you're a pigeon that just landed to eat some crumbs and have a shit.

I'm really digging the commentary.

"Carriages will radically change how you play Assassin's Creed."  (not the actual quote, but close)

"Let's take him out with stealth, he's more dangerous than the rest."   Aaaaand, proceeds to start a fist fight in the middle of a street.

The problem isn't it doesn't hit him, the problem is the model doesn't interact properly. I'm willing to give that a pass for an alpha.

Ok the ACTUAL problem is that you are being a literal cartoon and dropping a barrel on a man.

These games are a mess, but I play every single one because hey, you get to parkour across historical settings and air assassinate dudes. That's all I really care about. I really hope they clean up the interface and insane number of boring side missions from Unity. Looking forward to buying it for $20 one year from now.

I really like how the first gameplay demo looks like he's messing up as much as I do while playing any of the latter games.  I'm curious to know what you all thought of Black Flag's 100% tasks, but I definitely couldn't get into 100% these games after AC2...just became too tedious to go through a mission without taking a single hit or some other nonsense.

I really like how the first gameplay demo looks like he's messing up as much as I do while playing any of the latter games.  I'm curious to know what you all thought of Black Flag's 100% tasks, but I definitely couldn't get into 100% these games after AC2...just became too tedious to go through a mission without taking a single hit or some other nonsense.

Oh goodness no. I play games because I like them.

Why would you add a magic "rope dart" for zipping up buildings, making parkour practically useless in a AC game?  I've completely lost the point why this series still exists...

Oh god no, the 100% synchronise each mission shit goes right out the window very early on. Sticking to the super strict mission criteria makes for a very unenjoyable gaming experience. Normally it just makes the whole thing massively tedious. Get three wall assignations actual means waiting around for 10mins until your enemy has Wales really slowly into the prosit ion you need him to be.

The only challenges they should have for each mission is: don't be seen and/or don't kill anyone

Why would you add a magic "rope dart" for zipping up buildings, making parkour practically useless in a AC game?  I've completely lost the point why this series still exists...

'Cause they're fun to play and they make money.

I'm willing to give that a pass for an alpha.

Pre-alpha.

Pre-alpha.

Well, to be fair....Unity.  I mean, what does Alpha/pre-alpha/beta mean to Ubisoft?

My favourites were Brotherhood and Black Flag like many others'. At the moment I have no real interest in keeping up, I will likely play Unity, Rogue and Syndicate back-to-back if possible. Maybe I'll skip Unity. I did that with 2 + Brotherhood + Revelations if I remember correctly. Actually I'm kind of bored of all the big AAA open-world action series right now -- haven't played Arkham Origins, Far Cry 4, GTA V (this one plan to get for PC as soon as the price drops a bit).

I have completed 100% of the side content in Black Flag and am about to start chapter 7 of the story. I have a sickness with these games. Because of the way I play them, I rarely finish them before the next is out. I'll probably finish Unity around the time the successor to Syndicate comes out, at the speed I'm going.

You collected all the stupid gold diamond things? Holy shit, that is a sickness. To be fair I couldn't pass an island with out going for a swim to collect one, but after the credits rolled and I looked at the map (I think they all become revealed once you finish the game) I wasn't going to waste 2 hours collecting the rest. And there was no point to them what's so ever, they didn't do anything

The map gets revealed as you capture the forts. All of the forts become available in Chapter 6, so I captured them all, opened up the map, and then went hunting. I also got all of the feathers and memory chunk things in AC3. I am the worst.

Well, at least in your retirement years you have a good reminisce about those days spent tracking down elusive collectable shits.

I'm in the midst of that Black Flag collecting but I've entered a very relaxed pleasure-cruise state where I'm sitting back while sailing and enjoying the sights, diving off to get some booty, sailing into the sunset, whistling the shanties, ploughing through the waves and absorbing the environment. I managed the same with Wind Waker. It's more like going out for a walk than playing a video game, if that makes sense.

diving off to get some booty, sailing into the sunset, whistling the shanties, ploughing through the waves and absorbing the environment

Sounds like an average night out in Nottingham.