Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Assassins Creed: Syndicate - knees up mother brown

plenty of filth though

piles o poo: next gen hay stacks

As with all initial AC screenshot hype, that is a really enticing screenshot. I want to be in that world. Fortunately, unlike the rest the universe, I haven't yet soured on the series. I don't know why or how, but... I haven't. Maybe it's because I play it at my own pace instead of when they come out. (I still haven't played past AC3!)

The rate of these god damn games is genuinely bewildering to me.

The rate of these god damn games is genuinely bewildering to me.

Seriously. Didn't they just release two of these like three weeks ago? And weren't they universally panned? Like, to the point of releasing a corporate apology and everything?

Unity was. Everyone loves Rogue, though, I think. At least those who aren't fatigued. Also this is a different studio, so logic dictates that they've had more time to work on it than just a year?

Of course logic flies out the window when you remember eighty four thousand seven hundred sixty two different Ubisoft studios worked on Unity.

Seriously. Didn't they just release two of these like three weeks ago? And weren't they universally panned? Like, to the point of releasing a corporate apology and everything?

AC operates similarly to Call of Duty. A different studio internal to Ubi is the lead every year (with a pantheon following behind in the credits) ala Infinity Ward/Treyarch/Sledgehammer. They're just way less up front about it. This AC game is likely the team that produced either AC3 (eek) or Black Flag (hooray).

AC: Rogue has been generally positively received, it just got all the "it's a bad game" markers prior to release because Ubi dumped all its marketing and hype into Unity and no one got Rogue for review prior to release day.

I'm mostly surprised how every single person who plays an Assassin's Creed Game just wishes that it were a game set in some specific era, and not a game about some modern-day bullshit nobody cares about as a wrapper for the thing they care about, and yet Ubisoft keeps making these games with animus/memory horsecrap. 

I could understand if the company were Nintendo, who is almost charming in its stubbornness, but this is just absurd. I don't know anyone on the planet who thinks: "oh, this modern day part of the game is so awesome, thank goodness I can explore the offices of Abstergo" 

I'm mostly surprised how every single person who plays an Assassin's Creed Game just wishes that it were a game set in some specific era, and not a game about some modern-day bullshit nobody cares about as a wrapper for the thing they care about, and yet Ubisoft keeps making these games with animus/memory horsecrap. 

I could understand if the company were Nintendo, who is almost charming in its stubbornness, but this is just absurd. I don't know anyone on the planet who thinks: "oh, this modern day part of the game is so awesome, thank goodness I can explore the offices of Abstergo" 

I mostly attribute it to being the pet idea of someone important at Ubisoft, so everyone's afraid to pare it out. It might have been possible to do in the first few games, but now it's been around forever, so it can't be mistaken as anything less than deliberate.

Also, exploring the rooftops of Victorian London sounds great. Exploring the rooftops of Victorian London in an Assassin's Creed game sounds dreary as fuck. I briefly mistook the picture for London during the Blitz, which would also be a great game.

AC operates similarly to Call of Duty. A different studio internal to Ubi is the lead every year (with a pantheon following behind in the credits) ala Infinity Ward/Treyarch/Sledgehammer. They're just way less up front about it. This AC game is likely the team that produced either AC3 (eek) or Black Flag (hooray).

AC: Rogue has been generally positively received, it just got all the "it's a bad game" markers prior to release because Ubi dumped all its marketing and hype into Unity and no one got Rogue for review prior to release day.

This team is Quebec, who, according to the article, is not the main Ubisoft AC studio. That's Montreal. Quebec also has yet to helm an entry in the franchise.

For one, this is the first Assassin's Creed game helmed by Ubisoft's Quebec studio, as opposed to their primary Montreal office, which has led development on the biggest Assassin's Creed releases since the first game in 2007.

Also AC3 in my opinion suffered through lack of focus from so many teams working on different parts and not putting the pieces together coherently, and less because of one studio. Apparently, they learned from their mistakes (for the most part) in future games which I have yet to play.

I also want to say that I love how, despite the fact that so many people on these forums continue to express disinterest and franchise fatigue, every (mainline) AC game gets its own thread.

I'm not being sarcastic, it genuinely both amuses and bemuses me.

That said, Mington, you didn't do a very good job of giving this thread a stupid joke title.

EDIT: Ah, the article was updated, too:

The team in our Quebec studio has been hard at work on the particular game in question for the past few years, and we're excited to officially unveil what the studio has been working on at a later date.

As suspected, it's a game that's been in the works for a long time now (at least, long relative to what you'd expect given "annual franchise").

Once upon a time the modern day AC stuff was actually going somewhere. AC2 had a great in-animus ending along with a wonderful build up, and Brotherhood was such an incredible mind fuck. I was excited to find out where things went from there, and unfortunately learned that the answer was "into the garbage".

With that said, I was legitimately interested in the modern day stuff they did with Black Flag, which is most certainly the main reason I'll be ending up with Rogue at some point.

I mostly attribute it to being the pet idea of someone important at Ubisoft, so everyone's afraid to pare it out. It might have been possible to do in the first few games, but now it's been around forever, so it can't be mistaken as anything less than deliberate.

Also, exploring the rooftops of Victorian London sounds great. Exploring the rooftops of Victorian London in an Assassin's Creed game sounds dreary as fuck. I briefly mistook the picture for London during the Blitz, which would also be a great game.

The Animus stuff is also the justification to let them be video gamey as all hell (death checkpoints, interactive maps, tracking collectibles, the encyclopedia stuff, a handler talking in your ear, etc) without them having to worry about making any of that stuff contextual to the era of the game.  It really was a brilliant solution to a common complaint about period games, how common gaming conveniences felt wildly out of place. 

Also, exploring the rooftops of Victorian London sounds great. Exploring the rooftops of Victorian London in an Assassin's Creed game sounds dreary as fuck. I briefly mistook the picture for London during the Blitz, which would also be a great game.

That'd be amazing a 1940 battle of britain game, solving crimes while a waves bombers destroy buildings around you with next-gen Far Cry 2 esque fire spreading and seeing and gearing spitfires and Hurricanes engage and by the end of the game London has gone from historical beauty to rubble.

The Animus stuff is also the justification to let them be video gamey as all hell (death checkpoints, interactive maps, tracking collectibles, the encyclopedia stuff, a handler talking in your ear, etc) without them having to worry about making any of that stuff contextual to the era of the game.  It really was a brilliant solution to a common complaint about period games, how common gaming conveniences felt wildly out of place. 

I'd honestly like to see a non-historical game that was as slavish when it comes to building a fiction around its UI elements and progression mechanics. Sometimes FPS games try to explain why you see a health bar or an ammo count, but if they extended that to skill perqs and checkpoints, even devoting a substantial arc of its plot to the extrapolation of that explanation? It'd be nuts (and also probably really boring, like the Animus stuff was).

Excited about the Victorian London! Vary about the schedule. I wonder if they will still ship a previous-gen Assassin's Creed game next year, and if not, then how it will affect the quality of Assassin's Creed Ripper.

Interestingly, there were no playable future (Assassin's Creed present) sections in Assassin's Creed Unity at all. They were replaced by three mandatory "rift" missions that were set in Paris at different time periods (late 1800s, World War II, and late 1300s). I found these short glimpses of Paris at various eras much more interesting than exploring the Ubisoft headquarters or the Cave of the Space Gods.

The futuristic user interface elements and the Abstergo commentary were still there, of course, but they did not bother me that much.

Well, I'm glad that some people enjoyed it! I just really wanted to like Black Flag more than I did. It has a whole bunch of fantastic things, but interwoven with a lot of stuff I could not care less about. I want to click a box in the options setting that says: "I am fine if this is maybe a 4 to 5 hour game, if you take out a lot of the fluff, please."

That said, Mington, you didn't do a very good job of giving this thread a stupid joke title.

I did actually have the Cockney rhyming slang dictionary open and there were no entries for "Assassin" or "Creed". There was Arse though :) so the thread title was very almost: Blade of Grass Creed: Victory

would that have been to vague?

oh wait i was going to say something; If the trend of these nu-gen Assassins Creed games are to have multiple era's. (Unity has you occasional running around in WW2 Paris) What alternate time frame can we hope for in London? Slip in to your daddy's shoes during the swinging 60's, perhaps Ringo Star was a templer

I think you missed a pretty good "V for Victory" joke in there. Assassin's Creed: V for Video Games?

I'm sure a good proportion of us will find it hard to shake the idea that the joke title is "Assassin's Creed Victory" even up to and beyond release.

This thread made me start mentally pronouncing "animus" as the plural of "animu."

I am okay with this.

I just realized that this is the sixth main Assassin's Creed game, and they managed to work that into the title. Assassin's Creed: VI....ctory

:spiraldy: