twmac

An email I sent to Giantbomb

He has had mashed potatoes, he claims that the ones at KFC are so good that it's not worth making your own so that's why he's never made them before. Or in other words and to clarify, he said that he's never made mashed potatoes ("he's never mashed potatoes").

Meh, I'm older than he is and there's lots of stuff I haven't done to potatoes

He said he's also not made instant potatoes, for whatever that's worth. Since that panel, he said that he mentioned it to his dad who has also apparently not every made any mashed potatoes before and he's in his sixties if memory serves.

I don't think its some great offense, it's just... weird.

Meh, I'm older than he is and there's lots of stuff I haven't done to potatoes

Man I knew we should have made a dating thread.

I've never made instant potatoes or mashed potatoes. I've made a baked potato, though?

He said he's also not made instant potatoes, for whatever that's worth. Since that panel, he said that he mentioned it to his dad who has also apparently not every made any mashed potatoes before and he's in his sixties if memory serves.

I don't think its some great offense, it's just... weird.

He has said his Dad survives entirely on cigarettes, energy drinks and Taco Bell. Knowing that, it's not surprising Dan is like he is.

I'm pretty sure his dad lives like 20 miles from me.  Maybe I can go get Taco Bell with him and smoke some cigarettes.  Make a black and white YouTube series out of it, "Me and Dan's Dad". 

The lack of film knowledge of any kind isn't surprising after he explained how he talked his way out of doing work in several classes. Aside from that, if I talked to a person with a film degree and they said they'd never seen Citizen Kane, I'd have more questions about the school they went to than the person themselves. My next question would definitely be about what movies they were required to watch.

Gonna take this chance to say I'm probably done with the GBcast, which bums me out because I've listened since the site began. Surprisingly, it's mostly because of their game discussions. I've gotten tired of Jeff's negativity, Dan, insane/terrible persona aside, seems to have a vocabulary consisting of the words "super", "fun", and "cool" to describe why a game is good, and Brad seems to quit every game after an hour or two (except DOTA and Destiny) so these days he basically just echoes what I assume he sees in his Twitter feed with the preface "Now I haven't gotten that far into this but what I hear is <Internet stuff>". Drew, of course, is the best but is generally quiet. I'm hopeful the East Coast crew gets one together soon and that it's good.

Also, Tegan, that drawing is great.

A lot of people get film degrees because they like The Matrix and Star Wars. Tons of work for people in the film industry that has nothing to do with appreciating the art and history of film.

I've never made instant potatoes or mashed potatoes. I've made a baked potato, though?

Instead of baking the potato, peel them, stick them in some boiling water, wait until fork tender, then mash up with some milk, butter, salt, pepper (or some garlic! or cheese!) and then eat.

Oh I'm familiar with the process of mashing a potato, I just have never done it. I honestly don't have much desire to do so, either.

Instead of baking the potato, peel them, stick them in some boiling water, wait until fork tender, then mash up with some milk, butter, salt, pepper (or some garlic! or cheese!) and then eat.

spring onion is good too, to add in that mix.

and to me Dan is someone who has had a quite different life than me, and probably many others. It is weird that we can't fathom that he hasn't done some basic things that we consider normal, but its not infuriating. I get the sense there are a lot of things Dan has done that most people haven't, and that he would view as normal. 

You can also make mash from baked potatoes. They take a lot longer to cook than boiling, but you can leave them unattended and they are much harder to overcook.

Sorry but I just think everyone should, in their life, if they are able to, taste mashed potatoes they made themselves. Shit's delicious. (This goes for literally any other cooked food though, I just love cooking.)

Gordon Ramsay does a mashed potato with carmelized turnip, so I kinda picked that up and now every time I make mashed potatoes I also make a sauteed/carmelized root veg like turnip, parsnip, beet, or carrots to serve with it. As a result I get a more varied bite with the creamy potatoes and the crunchy root that often also adds a sweet or spicy contrast.

Mashing potatoes is the easiest way to ruin a decent side. Mouthfeel is awful, and you lose any crunch.

If the mouthfeel you're going for with any potatoes other than french fries is "crunch", you've already fucked up. 

If the mouthfeel you're going for with any potatoes other than french fries is "crunch", you've already fucked up.

Ummm, tater tots and hashbrowns, two of the best uses for a potato ever made.

Boil potatoes, cut them into small cubes and fry on low/med heat for close to an hour and you get a delicious crunchiness. A bit tedious though, because you need to attend to them that whole time.

I hate preparing potatoes at all. I've mashed them once, maybe. I'm assuming that, but I don't remember exactly when it was.

And the top of cottage pie (mashed potatoes on top of meat) being crunchy can be primo.

Seriously, it's like a whole field of terrible potato opinions here, wow. Potatoes in any form other than plain, boiled, are amazing. 

Potatoes are literally the best food. They're good in all forms. U: