Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

Tales from the Borderlands

Played the first episode today.  It was terrific!  Back when Telltale announced it I felt meh about it, but the characters and story turned out to be highly entertaining.

I was definitely not expecting this to be good, surprised the hell out of me when a bunch of glowing 9/10 reviews started showing up.

Finished this today!

It might just be my favourite Telltale series to date. While I adore Walking Dead season 1, the lighter and warmer tone in this just worked for me in a way that the hopelessness in WD doesn't.

Did anyone else finish this? It seems like this one was a flying a bit below the radar as far as Telltale games go?

Finished this today!

It might just be my favourite Telltale series to date. While I adore Walking Dead season 1, the lighter and warmer tone in this just worked for me in a way that the hopelessness in WD doesn't.

Did anyone else finish this? It seems like this one was a flying a bit below the radar as far as Telltale games go?

I really liked it a lot. Walking Dead One was a fantastic experience, great writing, the wonderful and sad relationship between Lee and Clementine, but the constant all-goes-to-shit-ness of it was exhausting. Tales of the Borderlands on the other hand was funny, creative, sometimes a bit brutal and mean, but, as you said, ultimately warm and joyful. Definitely my favorite Telltale game.

I love this series and the ending was maybe my favorite telltale ending, or maybe tied with Sam & Max season 3 (which I am probably biased towards since it was the first ending I worked on).

Meh. The ending was ok, but it pales in comparison with the finger pistol fight of episode 4.

That is indeed a great scene!

I'm entirely sure where a new season would go, but I'd love to at least see something else with the same tone. I'm getting a little tired of the dourness that so many of the video games I've played recently have exhibited, so games like this and Firewatch have actually made me far more excited about playing games than I've been in a long time. 

And if I ever get my ass into gear and start making games on my own this is definitely the tone I'm going for.

Meh. The ending was ok, but it pales in comparison with the finger pistol fight of episode 4.

Yeah that was a great gag. The structure of episode 5 completely owned me, in a way I found really exhilarating. I didn't know when the story would actually end, but it didn't feel like it was dragging. It was very well done.

I also finished this today. I think it is my preferred format for Borderlands. It lets the writing take the lead rather than meh loot n guns.

Yeah, this series was a breath of fresh air when most of the other Telltale stuff is heavy drama. Not knocking the drama stuff, just so nice to see the studio explore different tones for their games, and it was a real pleasure to play this one. It was all the more surprising since I never enjoyed Borderlands much.

I really liked this, despite having zero interest when it was announced.  What I like out of Borderlands is much more the loot-driven FPS stuff than any of the story stuff, especially anything involving Handsome Jack, so this sounded like something I shouldn't really bother playing.  But I heard enough good things about it to check it out, and man, it was great.

Probably my favorite Telltale game so far. I bounced off actual Borderlands hard so I was cautious going into this but it was good top to bottom (Jake I'm with you on episode 5 owning). I'll just also mention that the title sequences were fantastic, especially the last one.

This is my absolute favorite Telltale game (excepting possibly/probably Sam and Max Season 3). Telltale knows how to do humor. I wish they'd do it more often.

I also wish they'd do a Sam and Max Season 4. ):

Oh man, the title sequences, sooo good. I liked them so much.

It feels weird saying that this is my favorite Telltale game since the Telltale "your choices matter" thing has way less weight in an action comedy than it does in their more dramatic games. When the game gives me the option of making fun of the bad guy's stupid mustache I'm not worried about what will happen as a result of that choice, I'm just doing it because that's the funnier option. I guess that's fine? I mean, it made me laugh.

Also, this game made me realize that a Telltale Venture Bros game is what I never realized I always wanted.

Also, this game made me realize that a Telltale Venture Bros game is what I never realized I always wanted.

Now the question is, how has this yet to happen?!