Chris

Idle Thumbs 186: Doctor DNA

When Jake started talking about the kids going by the toilet with the memorial on it, I heard "by" as "buy" and my brain immediately started imagining that Jurassic World would have a ton of super tacky tributes to Jurassic Park. Like there's a gift shop where you can buy a little figurine of the lawyer on the toilet, or there's a thing where you can have your photo taken with an animatronic version of Samuel L Jackson's severed arm. It would be the fictitious equivalent to this:

szoTsNq.jpg

When Jake said there was one thing that could make this movie good, I guessed he was going to say what I now think is an amazing idea:

A one-armed crazy survivialist Ray Arnold shows up, having been abandoned 20 years ago and survived on Isla Nublar ever since

I assume Jurassic World is still on Isla Nublar (probably due to that piece of artwork they released a while back with the raptor on the old wrecked jeep), though that might be wrong.

Tiny, silly nitpick at the episode description: Jurassic World is not a reboot, pseudo or otherwise! It's a sequel! Why is everyone so eager to call things reboots these days?!

This is a way better idea than any of ours.

Give him a genetically spliced friendly raptor arm he grafts on half way through the film and you have on license gold.

I assume Jurassic World is still on Isla Nublar (probably due to that piece of artwork they released a while back with the raptor on the old wrecked jeep), though that might be wrong.

b5ajwaq.png

This boat from the trailer is either named Isla Nublar, or is bound for Isla Nublar, or both.

Old cover and new, this guy looks pretty asian to me.  Pretty sure everyone is just thrown off by the bleached hair & eyebrows

far_cry_4_game-wide.jpg

farcry4.jpg

Old cover and new, this guy looks pretty asian to me.  Pretty sure everyone is just thrown off by the bleached hair & eyebrows

Like I said, we've really beaten this into the ground in the thread about the game itself, but I'm not that sorry for assuming that a blonde character in a Western-style suit from a AAA video game is white when I see his image at 500 x 500 pixels, the maximum resolution at which the images were available until they started being criticized. Ubisoft hadn't earned benefit of the doubt from me at that time, and I'm still not sure they've earned it, since Far Cry 4 seems to be characterized by plain ol' Orientalism and appropriation instead of outright racism and imperialism, like Mangela, Danielle, and Turgid all say. Baby steps, but still...

I still kinda think he looks like an Anderson Cooper who raided Craig Sager's closet. 

post-33601-0-27546000-1417159572.jpg

post-33601-0-43880400-1417159605.jpg

Rad-ness ("raditude", if you will 'cuz I will) is the basic unit of quality in AAA. It isn't about saying something or feeling anything, other than "wooo" or "haha" or "fuck yes" and it seems rather underappreciated on Idle Thumbs.

It's funny how often Danielle will describe something that sounds great, like The Evil Within, and the rest of the Thumbs respond with dry heaves, groans and fart noises

I still kinda think he looks like an Anderson Cooper who raided Craig Sager's closet. 

This is maybe the greatest comparison I've ever seen. Craig Sager is my hero.

This is maybe the greatest comparison I've ever seen. Craig Sager is my hero.

I just saw this week that his leukemia is in remission, and that he's planning to return to work by February, easily in time to cover the NCAA tournament. This makes me really happy.

Also, Sager's shoes don't get enough attention:

post-33601-0-76008300-1417202830_thumb.jpg

I just saw this week that his leukemia is in remission, and that he's planning to return to work by February, easily in time to cover the NCAA tournament. This makes me really happy.

YAY YAY YAY! That is fantastic news, thank you for sharing! 

http://craigsagerssuits.tumblr.com/

For anyone else who wants to peruse the sartorial expertise of Mr. Craig Sager.

(My favorite television show is Inside the NBA, so this is fantastic news.) 

I thought the conversation between Chris & Sean was really interesting regarding Far Cry 4 & the responsibilities of representation. I like that y'all are willing to talk through your impressions & ideas, even if they're not yet fully formed.

I remember Mario's shirt being brown in Super Mario Bros (the original)...I started to refer to him as "brown-shirt Mario" in this post and then re-wrote it realizing that had a WHOLE DIFFERENT connotation.

http://www.mariouniverse.com/images/sprites/nes/smb/mario-luigi.gif

http://www.childofthe1980s.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mario-sprite.jpg

http://www.ionlitio.com/images/2006/10/sprites_super_mario.gif

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/05/mariochartbig.png

As to the mario regional pronunciation discussion a while back...in central West Virginia we pronounced Mario as "Mahr-eeoh" (the west coast pronunciation according to the podcast and Jake) as opposed to "Mare-eeoh" (the New York/east coast pronunciation that Chris used).  We always just called him "Mario" and not "Super Mario" when I was in grade school.  I do remember seeing ads from stores in New York (WPIX) when I watched cartoons that called him "Mare-eeoh" and I think that pronunciation was used in some official ads (or maybe just the Atari 2600 Donkey Kong ad).  I should mention that we had a satellite dish so all the networks and other channels I watched as a kid were from all over the country so I watched several stations in New York during my childhood.

I always assumed the differences in pronunciation of Mario were like the differences in pronouncing the "nam" in Vietnam...some people pronounce it rhyming with "slam" and some people pronounce it rhyming with "bomb" (I always pronounced it in the latter fashion...BUT I heard it the former way sometimes and in my childhood brain just assumed both were right (otherwise why would Robert Stack be saying it differently in Time Life commercials)...and I assumed the same thing about Mario).

Sean and Chris you guys are totally right about Ferguson.  I'm a senior at a University in St. Louis, and this year, I've seen students more involved in the community than they ever have before. A couple people in my classes have begun regularly getting breakfast in Ferguson, and helped get some students together to paint on the boarded up storefronts in order to make the businesses look more inviting. A lot of people have stopped asking "What can we do?" and have just started getting more involved in the St. Louis community, and building relationships with people outside of who they typically would. I can't say I view the events starting in August as a good thing, as the death of Mike Brown is incredibly tragic, but being so close to all of these events has giving me an incredible hopeful and optimistic view of humanity, and I feel incredibly blessed (maybe not the right word), to be there while all of this happened.

Danielle, when you do the "hup hup hup hup" noise, what is that imitating? It's a wonderful noise, and on the previous episode you say it's a Yoshi noise, but I don't know where it's from. 

I *think* its the jump sound Yoshi makes in the GBA version...having just loaded up the SNES version and the GBA version (on my 3DS) that appears to be the case...but it may be another noise I'm not thinking of.  Danielle would know for certain I'm sure...but I'm imagining it as Yoshi jumping several times.

Arcade fighting games did have a patch cycle of sorts. In addition to Super / Turbo, etc, releases, arcade Street Fighter machines did have various different revisions. My understanding is that these revisions within the same title were usually for bug-fixes, but some balance changes may have been included as well. For instance, I believe that the famous "Guile Handcuffs" bug was patched out in later revisions of Street Fighter 2: World Warriors long before SF2: CE was released.

MAME lists the following official revisions of Street Fighter 2:

910206 * US release.
910214 * WORLD, US and JAPAN releases.

910228 * WORLD and US releases.
910306 * US and JAPAN releases.
910318 * US release.
910411 * US release.
910522 * WORLD and US releases.
911101 * US release.
911210 * JAPAN release.

I'm not as into that world as I used to be, so I may be mis-remembering what exactly each release included. It's very hard to find detailed information on these.

Similarly, the SF2 Turbo HD remix release explicitly supported enabling / disabling some bug fixes, although I don't recall which of them actually saw release in various arcade revisions or not.

Yeah, I believe it does, but those are in addition to the official releases above.

There are also some other releases that MAME apparently doesn't have dumped. I found a reference to some of those in regard to reproducing specific bugs (such as 910218), but I don't know if that's transcription error or it's a separate release.

The world of console cartridge re-releases is fascinating to me. The vast majority of the populace (myself included until extremely recently) has no idea anything like that would happen, but it's so interesting how people like the speed running community find the release version most able to be blasted apart and broken to do things the fastest.

I found at least one concrete example of revisional changes, in SF3. Note the example includes bug fixes as well as specific balance changes, by making unblockable moves blockable. (it isn't clear to me if that is an intentional balance change or an introduction of a new bug, but it would change the meta regardless.)

http://tcrf.net/Street_Fighter_III:_3rd_Strike_(Arcade)

Also, for Darkstalkers 2,which are more explicit balance changes:

http://tcrf.net/Night_Warriors:_Darkstalkers%27_Revenge_(Arcade)

I did a quick google search and browse through the thread, but I can't find the Smash metagame article Chris mentioned. Does anyone have a link for that?

I'd be interested in reading that as well. I think I remember seeing it when it was first written, but kind of filed it away for later, and then forgot about it.